Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Post by JohnW »

gentlegreen wrote:I......................................the OP rang alarm bells because they seemed to be wanting to be cut off from the outside world.......................................

That (above) is not a complete quote of what 'gentlegreen' wrote, but for me sums up the situation. Not everyone will agree with this, but I completely concur and identify with the wording and the sentiment of the above part-quote.

Cutting yourself off with brain-numbing "sounds off" can be numbing to danger - danger to yourself by not being aware, and danger of damage that you can do to others on cyclepaths/greenways by not being fully aware of, nor concerned about, them. We need our full attention to what we're doing. I know one stock response to that is : "tell the motoring fraternity that..........." but we're not responsible for them.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the best advice is to remove the headphones and pay full attention to what you're doing.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think technology provides some answers to the “wearing headphones on a bike” conundrum. Bone conducting headphones have already been mentioned. These play music/sound through the bones at the front of your ears, leaving your ears free to hear outside sounds. There are also now helmets that have built in speakers, next to your ears but leaving your ears free to hear traffic, etc.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JohnW wrote:
gentlegreen wrote:I......................................the OP rang alarm bells because they seemed to be wanting to be cut off from the outside world.......................................

That (above) is not a complete quote of what 'gentlegreen' wrote, but for me sums up the situation. Not everyone will agree with this, but I completely concur and identify with the wording and the sentiment of the above part-quote.

Cutting yourself off with brain-numbing "sounds off" can be numbing to danger - danger to yourself by not being aware, and danger of damage that you can do to others on cyclepaths/greenways by not being fully aware of, nor concerned about, them. We need our full attention to what we're doing. I know one stock response to that is : "tell the motoring fraternity that..........." but we're not responsible for them.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that the best advice is to remove the headphones and pay full attention to what you're doing.

So I take it you never drive with the windows closed, or the radio on.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In town I drive with a window open, I only use the radio on the motorway, sometimes not even then
Driving can be so relaxing :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I don't drive Bob.
Friends/family who do drive tell me that they often open their window, because the draught/blast of cold air can combat drowsiness.
A friend who is a traffic cop tells me about clearing up after drivers who don't concentrate, when mobile 'phones (they're still commonly used by drivers)/ghetto blasters/hands-free 'phones etc, etc have obviously been distractions.

However, the question was about cycling.
When I'm cycling I keep my ears open to try to be aware of danger from those who do drive.
For 27 years I cycled to work 10 miles each way, busy roads, and that experience taught me the necessity of being alert.
I like to hear birdsong and wind in the trees when cycling on greenways etc - that's part of my pleasure..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I don't drive Bob.
Friends/family who do drive tell me that they often open their window, because the draught/blast of cold air can combat drowsiness.
A friend who is a traffic cop tells me about clearing up after drivers who don't concentrate, when mobile 'phones (they're still commonly used by drivers)/ghetto blasters/hands-free 'phones etc, etc have obviously been distractions.

When I'm cycling I keep my ears open to try to be aware of danger from those who do drive.
For 27 years I cycled to work 10 miles each way, busy roads, and that experience taught me the necessity of being alert.
I like to hear birdsong and wind in the trees when cycling on greenways etc - that's part of my pleasure..

I agree.
Cycling isn't driving,driving there is already a disconnect from the outside world by the car cabin.
Cycling is a vunerable,enjoyable and exhilarating experience like,no other form of transport providing exercise with firsthand connect with the environment I'm riding in and as such I want to feel,see and hear it,especially when riding off road where most of my cycling is done these days.
I don't want or like the direct intrusion of music,The World at One,etc in my ears polluting the enjoyment of one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life.
If others wish to have the intrusion of earbuds and noise that's their prerogative,but my experience of approaching pedestrians from behind when I'm cycling is one of their disconnect due to the impairment of one of their senses.Bell ringing friendly shouts of my approach go unnoticed until I'm closer than I want to be before my presence is registered and sometimes right by their side ringing my bell and speaking to them sometimes startling them as a result on occasion .
As a result of these all too common encounters,it leads me to think it's the same for most cyclists wearing the same equipement.Some people may have a different take on it mine is a negative one due to these all too common encounters with the disconnected among us.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2020, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

JohnW wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I don't drive Bob.

As son as she me one restricts the argument to cycling, it means the comparisons have undermined their argument.

It is simple, a closed car window offers the same loss of audible input as headphones on medium volume
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:As son as she me one restricts the argument to cycling, it means the comparisons have undermined their argument.

It is simple, a closed car window offers the same loss of audible input as headphones on medium volume

I disagree on the grounds of vulnerability of cycling in traffic,cars lack the same vulnerability and most cyclists are two wheelers and aren't treated with the respect they deserve,also most cyclist don't have a RVM which isn't a legal requirement.
The comparison of cyclist v motorist in this context isn't a valid one IMHO
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:As son as she me one restricts the argument to cycling, it means the comparisons have undermined their argument.

I disagree on the grounds of vulnerability of cycling in traffic,cars lack the same vulnerability and most cyclists are two wheelers and aren't treated with the respect they deserve,also most cyclist don't have a RVM which isn't a legal requirement.

Will you allow me to use my ear buds when I have my rear view mirror fitted?
I find it useful whether or not I am listening in.
Perhaps I should start a thread castigating those of us who don't use a mirror!
Actually I believe that a competent cyclist can manage with or without either.

The vulnerability argument could be extended to hiviz and helmets. I cannot recall whether you advocate these too?
Last edited by Mike Sales on 13 Jan 2020, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:If others wish to have the intrusion of earbuds and noise that's their prerogative,but my experience of approaching pedestrians from behind when I'm cycling is one of their disconnect due to the impairment of one of their senses.Bell ringing friendly shouts of my approach go unnoticed until I'm closer than I want to be before [...]

How do you know that's even your experience of them? Those are just the ones you notice and, like anything, you won't notice the people using earpieces responsibly, either without blocking out other sounds or with suitable other observations so they're not obstructing the highway. It's rather like motorists might not remember the hundred cyclists riding in nondescript ways, but they will remember the one that filters past them in the epic jam to get through the old town gate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I have no problem with you or anyone else using earbuds or not having a RVM as I posted up thread it's your prerogative and RVMs aren't required by law.
My point is a personal one about earbuds based my experience of others using them that I come across on my travels.As for RVMs I've been using one for about 15 years and wouldn't be without one nowadays,I even have one on my MTB for the short road sections I use,YVMV and that's your choice :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2020, 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If others wish to have the intrusion of earbuds and noise that's their prerogative,but my experience of approaching pedestrians from behind when I'm cycling is one of their disconnect due to the impairment of one of their senses.Bell ringing friendly shouts of my approach go unnoticed until I'm closer than I want to be before [...]

How do you know that's even your experience of them? Those are just the ones you notice and, like anything, you won't notice the people using earpieces responsibly, either without blocking out other sounds or with suitable other observations so they're not obstructing the highway. It's rather like motorists might not remember the hundred cyclists riding in nondescript ways, but they will remember the one that filters past them in the epic jam to get through the old town gate.

See my reply to Mike Sales above.
I notice that the vast majority of pedestrians and the occasional cyclist I pass wearing earbuds don't notice me until I'm almost by their side despite my bell ringing and speaking loudly to them as I approach.
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

The vulnerability argument could be extended to hiviz and helmets. I cannot recall whether you advocate these too?

Who said anything about castigating anyone?
The question wasn't about rear-view mirrors, helmets, hi-viz or whatever. It was about audibility of earphones when cycling.
I will say to you Mike, that all down the years and literally hundreds of thousands of miles just commuting, I've definitely found it very beneficial,
life preserving even on many, many occasions - to hear the motorists approaching from behind, round corners, approaching on blind bends etc,etc, etc, and having the opportunity to take avoiding action.

Heaven help us when (presumably very quiet, if not silent) electric cars take over...................silent killing or what?

But the question was about cycling and earphones.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:..............I notice that the vast majority of pedestrians and the occasional cyclist I pass wearing earbuds don't notice me until I'm almost by their side despite my bell ringing and speaking loudly to them as I approach.

On this, and your other posts on this thread John - we sing from the same hymnsheet! :D :D :D
Years of experience teaches us things.............. :roll: 8) :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:How do you know that's even your experience of them? Those are just the ones you notice and, like anything, you won't notice the people using earpieces responsibly, [...]

See my reply to Mike Sales above.
I notice that the vast majority of pedestrians and the occasional cyclist I pass wearing earbuds don't notice me until I'm almost by their side despite my bell ringing and speaking loudly to them as I approach.

Your reply doesn't answer my question. I don't think you can identify a modern bluetooth earbud like this when you're cycling past safely:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.