Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14724
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2020, 2:42pm

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:Let's not fall into the usual gutter press trap of tarring a whole group with the same brush.

I'm not "falling" into anything much less "gutter press tarring" of anyone merely pointing out what I witness when out cycling. [...]

Sorry but I still feel you did fall into the trap of turning an "A implies B" observation that everyone who fails to notice you seems to wear earbuds, into the reverse tarring claim that all earbud users fail to notice you.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2
Posts: 37434
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 2:42pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The distraction argument also applies to drivers.

Quite!
Though drivers also usually have 3 RVMs are sat in a comfortable space,unaffected by weather or a need to balance and without the fear/concern/worry of not being seen by other road users.As I posted up thread a car is a completely different experience to cycling.


A glance in my spectacle mounted mirror requires a slight swivelling of the eyeball. I find this quick and easy and entirely adequate. Driving ought to be a rather demanding task because they are going considerably faster and so need to react more rapidly and also have more controls to handle. It is true though that many of them are not really up to the job.
Does distraction from the job at hand really not apply to drivers for your reasons? I cannot think so.

I'm not in any way attempting to claim all drivers are good drivers,there are some appalling drivers on UK roads that ought not to be driving at all,and unti l there police are aloowed to do their job properly it'll remain so.
I'm merely pointing out that driving is a different experience to cycling for the reasons given,but because of that minority of poor and dangerous drivers I as a cyclist I feel I quite a part from the added pleasure of unfettered pleasure hearing gives me whilst cycling I need all my senses and wits about me whenever I venture out on the road on a bicycle.
YVMV mine won't :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 37434
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 2:44pm

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:Let's not fall into the usual gutter press trap of tarring a whole group with the same brush.

I'm not "falling" into anything much less "gutter press tarring" of anyone merely pointing out what I witness when out cycling. [...]

Sorry but I still feel you did fall into the trap of turning an "A implies B" observation that everyone who fails to notice you seems to wear earbuds, into the reverse tarring claim that all earbud users fail to notice you.

Then you are simply wrong in your assumptions,reread my posts on this thread for a clear understanding of my personal position regarding earbuds.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4170
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Jan 2020, 2:56pm

reohn2 wrote:I'm merely pointing out that driving is a different experience to cycling for the reasons given,but because of that minority of poor and dangerous drivers I as a cyclist I feel I quite a part from the added pleasure of unfettered pleasure hearing gives me whilst cycling I need all my senses and wits about me whenever I venture out on the road on a bicycle.
YVMV mine won't :wink:


Quite often when I picture my cycling experience, in order to analyse my headphone experience, I see myself cycling on a three mile dead straight, table flat Fenland road, with an occasional lonely house. The crop in the adjacent field changes at intervals. I enjoy the exercise, the rhythmic movement etc. but I find an interesting talk on the radio a pleasant accompaniment. My mind can accommodate several tracks, I find. There are few animals or birds.
On the A roads I inevitably use, as I said, I cannot hear enough of Round Britain Quiz to make earphones worthwhile.
What really motivates me to bothering to post on threads like this, are the self righteous, preachy posts about how evil earphone use is. I find them a pleasant adjunct to my rides. Maybe I have ADHD!

reohn2
Posts: 37434
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 3:02pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm merely pointing out that driving is a different experience to cycling for the reasons given,but because of that minority of poor and dangerous drivers I as a cyclist I feel I quite a part from the added pleasure of unfettered pleasure hearing gives me whilst cycling I need all my senses and wits about me whenever I venture out on the road on a bicycle.
YVMV mine won't :wink:


Quite often when I picture my cycling experience, in order to analyse my headphone experience, I see myself cycling on a three mile dead straight, table flat Fenland road, with an occasional lonely house. The crop in the adjacent field changes at intervals. I enjoy the exercise, the rhythmic movement etc. but I find an interesting talk on the radio a pleasant accompaniment. My mind can accommodate several tracks, I find. There are few animals or birds.
On the A roads I inevitably use, as I said, I cannot hear enough of Round Britain Quiz to make earphones worthwhile.
What really motivates me to bothering to post on threads like this, are the self righteous, preachy posts about how evil earphone use is. I find them a pleasant adjunct to my rides. Maybe I have ADHD!


Did you miss the posts were I said "YVMV" and "it's you prerogative"?
I'm not preaching or attempting to be self righteous,just pointing out my experience.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4170
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Jan 2020, 3:09pm

reohn2 wrote:Did you miss the posts were I said "YVMV" and "it's you prerogative"?
I'm not preaching or attempting to be self righteous,just pointing out my experience.


No, I did not. I was just pointing out why I might see things differently, telling you what my experience is. I was trying to be agreeable. Obviously I missed the mark!

Edited on rereading, to add that I was not accusing you of self-righteousness, but these threads are never short of it.
Often a bit Fotherington-Thomas about birdies etc.!
Last edited by Mike Sales on 13 Jan 2020, 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14724
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2020, 3:21pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Did you miss the posts were I said "YVMV" and "it's you prerogative"?
I'm not preaching or attempting to be self righteous,just pointing out my experience.


No, I did not. I was just pointing out why I might see things differently, telling you what my experience is. I was trying to be agreeable. Obviously I missed the mark!

Don't worry. R2 seems to enjoy disagreeing with Fen riders.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

JohnW
Posts: 6288
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby JohnW » 13 Jan 2020, 3:36pm

I don't want to underestimate the benefits of rear-view mirrors (RVM) - they are fairly recent additions to my cycling, and they are a boon - very much so.
However, I don't have my eyes on them all the time - if I did I wouldn't be looking where I was going.

I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
On twisting country lanes I can hear boy-racers and agricultural giant tractors behind me - even though I can't see them.
Even when I know (via the RVM) that there's a car behind me, the sound of a revving engine gives a clue as to the driver's attitude and intentions.

My answer to those who can't understand the benefit of hearing and listening, I can only say that I've learned it by experience.
The other night, I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. (This isn't an invitation to discuss the legalities of scroats on quad-bikes on greenways).
Just last evening, I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer for quite a long way behind me before I could see his lights - it occurred to me that he was a brain-dead-head-case so I pulled off - when he passed I could clearly see that I was right.

John - don't be discouraged, don't let the knowledge gained by experience be belittled by those who live in more fortunate localities - rejoice with them in their good fortune.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4170
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Jan 2020, 3:45pm

JohnW wrote:I don't want to underestimate the benefits of rear-view mirrors (RVM) - they are fairly recent additions to my cycling, and they are a boon - very much so.
However, I don't have my eyes on them all the time - if I did I wouldn't be looking where I was going.

I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
On twisting country lanes I can hear boy-racers and agricultural giant tractors behind me - even though I can't see them.
Even when I know (via the RVM) that there's a car behind me, the sound of a revving engine gives a clue as to the driver's attitude and intentions.

My answer to those who can't understand the benefit of hearing and listening, I can only say that I've learned it by experience.
The other night, I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. (This isn't an invitation to discuss the legalities of scroats on quad-bikes on greenways).
Just last evening, I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer for quite a long way behind me before I could see his lights - it occurred to me that he was a brain-dead-head-case so I pulled off - when he passed I could clearly see that I was right.

John - don't be discouraged, don't let the knowledge gained by experience be belittled by those who live in more fortunate localities - rejoice with them in their good fortune.


I wish someone would let me on in the secret of these earphones which deafen the user. I have often written that mine are drowned out by the noise of any motor vehicles.
Please tell what technology I am ignorant of.
Is it ear enclosing phones as opposed to the in-ear buds I use? Surely users of these must be conspicuous as well as daft.
Is it a more powerful amplifier? I am using a digital radio. Do I-players kick out deafening decibels through buds?
Where am I going wrong? Or should I say, right?

reohn2
Posts: 37434
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 4:37pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Did you miss the posts were I said "YVMV" and "it's you prerogative"?
I'm not preaching or attempting to be self righteous,just pointing out my experience.


No, I did not. I was just pointing out why I might see things differently, telling you what my experience is. I was trying to be agreeable. Obviously I missed the mark!

Edited on rereading, to add that I was not accusing you of self-righteousness, but these threads are never short of it.
Often a bit Fotherington-Thomas about birdies etc.!

Apologies if we were at cross purposes Mike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 37434
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 4:40pm

mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Did you miss the posts were I said "YVMV" and "it's you prerogative"?
I'm not preaching or attempting to be self righteous,just pointing out my experience.


No, I did not. I was just pointing out why I might see things differently, telling you what my experience is. I was trying to be agreeable. Obviously I missed the mark!

Don't worry. R2 seems to enjoy disagreeing with Fen riders.

No really just Fending off a couple now and again :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14724
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2020, 5:24pm

JohnW wrote:I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
[...] I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. [...]
I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer [...] so I pulled off

So the main so-called benefit of cyclists riding without headphones is to slow their journeys and get them out of the way of motorists. Got it. It sounds like it might be better for everyone if cyclists were required to wear deafening headphones! As well as keeping them on the highways and encouraging the safety-in-numbers effect, motorists would know there's no point shouting abuse! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

JohnW
Posts: 6288
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby JohnW » 13 Jan 2020, 5:32pm

mjr wrote:
JohnW wrote:I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
[...] I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. [...]
I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer [...] so I pulled off

So the main so-called benefit of cyclists riding without headphones is to slow their journeys and get them out of the way of motorists. Got it. It sounds like it might be better for everyone if cyclists were required to wear deafening headphones! As well as keeping them on the highways and encouraging the safety-in-numbers effect, motorists would know there's no point shouting abuse! ;)


No - what I'm saying is that there are common sense occasions when knowing that a vehicle is close behind and may pose a danger, and that it helps to know that it's there and it helps to apply a common sense solution if necessary.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14724
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2020, 7:44pm

JohnW wrote:
mjr wrote:
JohnW wrote:I HEAR an HGV behind me, and for the sake of my life and to be helpful to the HJGV driver, I often pull off when safe, to allow him to pass.
[...] I could HEAR an unlit quad-bike behind me on the greenway in the dark, and pulled off. [...]
I could HEAR a ghetto-blasted boy-racer [...] so I pulled off

So the main so-called benefit of cyclists riding without headphones is to slow their journeys and get them out of the way of motorists. Got it. It sounds like it might be better for everyone if cyclists were required to wear deafening headphones! As well as keeping them on the highways and encouraging the safety-in-numbers effect, motorists would know there's no point shouting abuse! ;)


No - what I'm saying is that there are common sense occasions when knowing that a vehicle is close behind and may pose a danger, and that it helps to know that it's there and it helps to apply a common sense solution if necessary.

I cannot agree that taking cyclists off the road is a common sense solution to any of the major problems facing us. It seems like an example of how this country's currently broken, where what's good for one particular cyclist (and I cannot blame anyone for doing it personally) is also what's bad for the nation.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

JohnW
Posts: 6288
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Reduce wind noise when wearing headphones?

Postby JohnW » 13 Jan 2020, 8:27pm

mjr wrote:
JohnW wrote:
mjr wrote:So the main so-called benefit of cyclists riding without headphones is to slow their journeys and get them out of the way of motorists. Got it. It sounds like it might be better for everyone if cyclists were required to wear deafening headphones! As well as keeping them on the highways and encouraging the safety-in-numbers effect, motorists would know there's no point shouting abuse! ;)


No - what I'm saying is that there are common sense occasions when knowing that a vehicle is close behind and may pose a danger, and that it helps to know that it's there and it helps to apply a common sense solution if necessary.

I cannot agree that taking cyclists off the road is a common sense solution to any of the major problems facing us. It seems like an example of how this country's currently broken, where what's good for one particular cyclist (and I cannot blame anyone for doing it personally) is also what's bad for the nation.


I don't think that there's anything to be gained by you and I continuing this discourse on this thread.

I have to advise you that my hatred for motoring and for traffic far exceeds yours.
However, there are situations where we have to act for the best for ourselves.
I'm fully aware, and of the opinion, that is by no means a long term policy for road use for the greater good of mankind and the environment. However staying alive, avoiding the evil ones, and not wishing to make life worse for others, create moments in life when we have to act for the moment.

The OP was about problems experienced, whether real or imagined, with ear-plugs (or whatever you'd call them), and my support for the idea that they are not of benefit to riding my bike hasn't altered.