Sorry probably been discussed zillions of times

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

Sorry probably been discussed zillions of times

Post by hondated »

That's the apology out of the way then now to the subject.
This week cycling through Sovereign Harbour I met up with a young German couple who on their fully laden bikes having cycled from Germany were heading for Brighton and we stopped and chatted for a while. Boy did I envy their youthfulness and energy.
But as we were leaving I took a look at their bikes which were trekking bikes and I could not help but think that they were really made for grand tours because they looked very sturdy and also had big comfy tyres fitted and its now left me wondering whether our dropped bar touring bikes are perhaps a little antiquated.

What do you think !
Brucey

Re: Sorry probably been discussed zillions of times

Post by Brucey »

I don't think the shape of the handlebars necessarily has much to do with how the rest of the bike is....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'm moving over to drop bars partly because I like the look, and partly because I find I can get a more comfortable riding position using them. I think it is a matter of horses for courses, and some people will find different bars more comfortable

I found that swept back handlebars put my hands in a more natural position, but I have found they don't go low enough for me, so I have tried drop handlebars, and i can get the same hand position but at a lower height and I can get a bit of variation too
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its all about fashion I think. Presently my tourer has drops which are well positioned but less comfy than those on my Mercian which have larger radius bends on them. I have seen many German tourers and they are mostly built like Panzers. I think both styles have their attractions. Having ridden both styles I like both. There is more to life than a Dawes Galaxy. If I was going on a really long tour I think I would go German style.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
alicat

Post by alicat »

Some Germans pack the kitchen sink when they go touring.

If that's what floats your boat and you can fit it in, then trekking bikes are good. Otherwise pick something lighter and you can move to the next square on the map the same day.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

hondated wrote:....................whether our dropped bar touring bikes are perhaps a little antiquated.

What do you think !

No - they're not - absolutely - they're not - but they're not what everyone wants. You have what you want, and I'll have what 55 years of serious adult cycling have taught me that I want. If you're uncertain, try as many other configurations as you can, find the one that suits you best for the cycling you do, and convert to it and stick with it. For several different kinds of cycling that you do, you may find that you eventually have three or more quite different bikes.

You may arrive at the same ensemble as I have, or you may finish up with something quite different, that I just wouldn't be comfortable with.

Cycling is a broad church, and bikes are widely various - but just because an ensemble/philosophy was current and valid for cyclists in past times, recent or not, does not mean that it's invalid for now. It has nothing to do with the age of a design/ensemble/philosophy it has to do with suitability for, purpose, and suitability for you as the individual rider.

Who knows, there may yet be something of merit in the drop handlebar, classic steel framed bike after all......................
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

al_yrpal wrote:Its all about fashion I think...............

...............this may possibly sum it all up.............
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Riding a mountain bike on the road is a tedious affair, which is why I wouldn't want to tour on anything resembling one, and prefer a well-made traditional steel touring frame fitted with quality components, gears to suit, a 40-spoke rear wheel, and drop bars, which give more positions than other bars. You have to consider the likes of Mark Beaumont and his choice of machine (as opposed to going with the fashion of the time/country) for the round the world epic, but a trad British touring bike is the most efficient bike in my experience.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

soapbox wrote:Riding a mountain bike on the road is a tedious affair, which is why I wouldn't want to tour on anything resembling one, and prefer a well-made traditional steel touring frame fitted with quality components, gears to suit, a 40-spoke rear wheel, and drop bars, which give more positions than other bars. You have to consider the likes of Mark Beaumont and his choice of machine (as opposed to going with the fashion of the time/country) for the round the world epic, but a trad British touring bike is the most efficient bike in my experience.

+1
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have always riden dropps from school days, ok first bike was straight swept back bars with rod brakes.
If you rode anything else you probably be a mummy's boy.
I have various bikes now and can honestly say that my most comfortable bike I have ever riden is my Halfords cheap alivio equiped MTB bike, non suspension and all, though it does have a flexible stem.
Probably half tyres and half riding position.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Well now, I mostly rode drop bar bikes until an accident five years ago made me try bullhorn bars. These were a revelation and even though my hand is find now, I've stuck with them.

The difference between them and drop bars for touring is this. No matter what I did, my hands were never stop-on comfortable when spending say 6 hours a day cycling on drop bars.
OTOH, with these, they are so comfortable that I don't think of my hands at all. Currently I've two tourers, both with these. Every bit of the bar is comfortable.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I just prefer the looks of my drop barred 700c wheeled brit tourer. I think they look more 'elegant'. And apart from some seriously knarly tracks that would challenge a full on downhill mountain bike, every ride is a joy.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

IMO. Our continental cousins use utility bikes a lot more than us in the UK. Since childhood they have used the sit up type of bike. In Germany you will see hundreds of them parked at stations and the small towns are well populated by all ages and sexes riding bikes for local journeys.
It is no suprise that this style of flat barred upright bike will crossover into their touring models.
hondated

Post by hondated »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I have various bikes now and can honestly say that my most comfortable bike I have ever riden is my Halfords cheap alivio equiped MTB bike, non suspension and all, though it does have a flexible stem.
Probably half tyres and half riding position.

Thanks everyone for your views I found them informative and interesting and perhaps tradition isn't such a bad thing.
NATURAL ANKLING I particularly found your comments interesting because I have just finished reading Anns journal on CGOAB

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 13699&v=JT

and having had her £3000 Roberts stolen she questioned why she had brought it when her cheap £500 she brought as a replacement felt as good.

If you get the time read the journal as its a great read.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I don't think it's a case of antiquated vs modern or right vs wrong, but the drop bar touring bike is pretty much an angli-saxon thing. If you meet someone on the road then with a drop bar tourer it's *almost* certain they are a Brit, or a North American or an Australian/New Zealander.