Pinky Williams champion scottish cyclist

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
happy pedaller

Pinky Williams champion scottish cyclist

Post by happy pedaller »

Did anyone here know or ride with the great Alexander 'Pinky' Williams ? I believe i have just become the owner of his old Scot tourer with rack built in it is a 1950 Scot and i want to be certain it was in fact his as i would like to add his name to the top tube when i get the frame redone in the original colour in memory of the man. Any info greatly appreciated to preserve this piece of cycling history. The bike was originally purchased from his son Stratton. I am just hoping someone will remember the bike and be able to confirm colour etc.

Regards Billy :?:
ultraburner

Re: Pinky Williams champion scottish cyclist

Post by ultraburner »

Billy,

You may find some info on your bike from here; http://svtta.org.uk/

Lots of experienced TTers who may be able to shed some light.

All the best.
william simpson

Post by william simpson »

Hi, I originate from Wishaw,hometown of the late Pinky Williams.. I was a member of the Law Wheelers, and rode regularly with Pinky from 1966-1971.. Pinky became my cycling mentor and close friend... The Scot cycle as you have described I would suggest did belong to Pinky.. If his son Stratton gave this to you and you described this the way you did, then no doubts exist in my mind that this was one of Pinkies machines...
I now live in Northampton and still cycle riding mostly with ctc...
Best wishes.. and hope this helps..
Billy Simpson.....
Griffter

Post by Griffter »

Hi,
I am originally from Pather, Wishaw where Pinky lived at the top of Lomond Drive I think it was. As kids we used to play at 'chap the door and run away. Pinky was so fast out his door, that it took a brave boy to chap his. When he caught anyone, we were locked in his little hut with a bucket of soap and a cloth. "What for"? you ask.
Well if the bike belonged to Pinky, I've probably washed it a few times. Those were the day's. :Davy Griffin.