Does anyone know of any good 28c tyres?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
garygkn

Does anyone know of any good 28c tyres?

Post by garygkn »

I have a summer road bike with some old 28c Continental SuperSport Kevlar with white side walls and a patterned grip. They seem to roll well with comfort. I think they must be from the late 80's but have had little use. I'd like to replace them with some new tyres I'm not bothered about the white side walls but would like something of good quality for summer day rides.

Thanks in advance for any feed back.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Does anyone know of any good 28c tyres?

Post by Mick F »

I absolutely love my Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres, they come in a variety of widths. The Pro tyres are foldable and light, and I rarely ever get a puncture. I use 23mm, and they are available in 28mm.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... itttyrf610
Mick F. Cornwall
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Thanks Mick, I'll investigate further and add to the list.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Or even Vittoria Zaffiro, good price, roll well, I rate them, they certainly wear well on the roads round here that destroyed my GP4000s

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-clincher-tyre/
Cherwell

Post by Cherwell »

I’m a big fan of Continental Gatorskins. They’re pretty bomb proof for a road tyre. I’ve not had any problems on tow paths or off road sus trans tracks either. I bought mine locally and they're the non folding variety.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gat ... tAod6nsAqg
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Many thanks I'd like to get a list going to see what the choice is like.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Continental GP Four Seasons, use them all year round.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Another gatorskin user here. Got my first puncture in a 2 years last week. Picked out green glass from my front wheel, nothing could of saved it from happening.
PH

Post by PH »

Good for what?
Price, longevity, puncture resistance, speed, grip, it's all a compromise. My favourite to ride on is the Conti GP All Season. But the Panaracer Pasela TG is a lot cheaper, lasts twice as long and resists punctures better, it loses a bit in speed but in all other regards is almost a s good.
Compared to any offering from the 80s, I'd be surprised if you didn't find any of the recommendations an improvement. The Pasela also has a skinwall which may match the look of your bike.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I'm off to research the suggestions so far.
Gatorskins are getting a lot of votes.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Also consider my current favourite, Panaracer Ribmo. They are a bit more robust than the TourGuards, are comfortable and roll well and have good grip in the wet (better than Gatorskins IME).
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Another fan of Gatorskins here, smooth rolling, comfortable and excellent puncture resistance
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I've got Schwalbe Duranos (not sure if they are the 'plus') on the tandem in 28mm - I prefer them to the Gatorskins, but would be hard pressed to say why!
meic

Post by meic »

I used to buy Gatorskins until their price leaped from £5 below a Rubino Pro to £5 above.

The Gatorskin is a good robust-ish tyre but I have had to do 2 sidewall repairs over the years (and many tyres).
There is no significant difference between them and the Stelvios (now replaced by Duranos).

The Rubino Pro is substantially lighter and cheaper than the Gatorskin wired tyres, so I have changed over to buying Rubino Pros but I havent done more than a few thousand on it yet. No complaints, punctures or damages so far.

Though if the Rubino pros were measured as Gatorskins and Stelvios are it would be called a 26mm tyre not a 28mm tyre. I think they are a good combination of high quality and value.

Four Seasons are just out of my price range, costing almost as much as my car tyres. :roll:
Yma o Hyd
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Another vote for Continental GP 4 Seasons, highly resistant to punctures, long lasting, grippy and fast. Expensive but worth it IMHO.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.