Parking in Andover, Hants

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KEELIEDW

Parking in Andover, Hants

Post by KEELIEDW »

We're doing a circular cycle tour in the area at the end of August and need to leave our car for 4 days in or near Andover. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried the Council, also the website "Park at my house" but they have no spaces. We're happy to pay a reasonable rate.
phil parker

Re: Parking in Andover, Hants

Post by phil parker »

I might be able to advise you - if I can't help. I'll pm you over the weekend (I'm just back from work and will be going to sleep!)

What's your start and finish date and which direction is your route?
horizon

Post by horizon »

phil parker wrote:I might be able to advise you

With a user name like that, I'm not surprised.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

PM sent!
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

phil parker wrote:PM sent!

Reply sent to your PM. Many thanks, all now sorted.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Thoroughly recommend the Jubilee route - which goes right through the centre of Andover and visits lovely villages in the surrounding countryside:

http://www.whitchurchcycling.org.uk/jubileeroute.html

And the associated Facebook page too:

https://www.facebook.com/WhitchurchCycling
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

Thanks, in fact we are indeed planning to go south from Andover down NCN246 Test Valley to Romsey. We sorted the parking problem, a campsite just east of Andover will allow us to leave the car there. I now have another question :oops: : the OS Landranger map shows a white road running due south from Romsey for a couple of miles parallel to the River Test. The first half appears to pass along the eastern perimeter of Broadlands Park. Does anyone know if it can be cycled, or is it all private?
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Enjoy.
I assume you mean Wyke Down - a helpful and friendly site, with good beers too :)

The NCN246 out of Andover is very pleasant, but some of it can get a bit muddy after rain on the section between Fullerton and Stockbridge, but the Clatford / Longstock route is an alternative.

I think that 'white road' is private (others may confirm) but there is a cycle route alongside the A27 out of Romsey to meet up with Lee lane.
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

Sorry I haven't got a map handy at the moment. If you mean the 'white road' that heads South from a roundabout at in the middle of the Romsey bypass, on the South side of the town, that is a private drive to Broadlands House (although it used to be the public road until about 1850, when it was diverted to the current route of the A27, as part of the 'deal' that saw the construction of the railway branch line from Redbridge - now the Wessex Main Line)

There is a paved pathway on the left hand side of the A27 which many cyclists use to get access to Lee Lane, by the Ashbridge railway bridge. I've never been sure if this is actually a cycle path, as the signs are confusing. The recent reconstruction of the rail bridge included provision for cyclists to cross the A27 from this path to enter Lee Lane, but this is no guarantee! Outside rush hour, I'd probably use the road as the path is narrow and liable to be overgrown at this time of year. But the surface is (I am told) not bad. It's a 50 limit, dead straight, single carriageway with good visibility, and a moderate level of cycle traffic.
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

keepontriking wrote:Enjoy.
I assume you mean Wyke Down - a helpful and friendly site, with good beers too :)

The NCN246 out of Andover is very pleasant, but some of it can get a bit muddy after rain on the section between Fullerton and Stockbridge, but the Clatford / Longstock route is an alternative.

I think that 'white road' is private (others may confirm) but there is a cycle route alongside the A27 out of Romsey to meet up with Lee lane.

Completed the trip, thanks for all suggestions. Car was left safely at Wyke Down for 3 days, no problems. NCN 246 alongside the Rivers Anton and Test was nice. I can imagine that after winter rains there could be a mud problem.
The white road alongside Broadlands is indeed a private thoroughfare. After Romsey we headed Northeast on B3084 and picked up NCN 24 to Salisbury, another quiet, pleasant route.