Leader Insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Millhouse

Leader Insurance

Post by Millhouse »

Do I need Insurance as a leader?
Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on insurance requirements for leading a non CTC cycling group?
As a member of a community group I am helping organise a cycling holiday around our local area, the Ribble Valley.
Cyclist from around the country will be attending, for a week, and sampling the cycling delights that the area has to offer.
I will be leading one of the groups and I wonder what, if any, type of insurance I need? I am a member of the CTC but the rides will not be linked to the CTC.
Would a disclaimer suffice?
Should each person indicate that they are a competent cyclist?
I want this to be a fun and interesting time for everyone involved and do not want to get tied up in red tape, but I am also aware that in today’s litigious society I may need some protection.
meic

Re: Leader Insurance

Post by meic »

If this is just for social and domestic reasons then you could be just really wild and take the chance that nothing will go wrong and that nobody will sue you.

If you do not own your own house, they are unlikely to bother sueing you as payouts (for the solicitors :wink: ) tend to be rather pathetic and un-enforceable in practice.

They would, in theory, have to prove that you had been negligent. Often it is the fear of the litigation process more than its result.

Disclaimers will not give you any "cast iron" immunity, they can be easily dismissed and do not excuse you of any "duty of care".

Next year consider CTC affiliation for the rides.

If this is a business then you had better cough up for insurance.
Yma o Hyd
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

No a disclaimer will not suffice, if you are deemed the organiser you will need insurance. Disclaimers are generally not worth the paper they can be written on. If this is business then you will need public liability insurance. If this is not for profit then have a word with the CTC and you may be able to use the CTC insurance but I would check with them, assuming you are a member

See Meic typed faster but we are saying roughly the same

NUKe

Post by Millhouse »

Thank's for the above.
It's not a business, it's for a local religious group.
Not for profit but a charge will be made to cover accommodation and food.
We just want to invite people to the Ribble Valley to enjoy the Hills and History.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Maybe your church will insure you? After all with some help from above you're unlikely to have any issues. :lol:
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
julk

Post by julk »

I started a cycling club at my local church and lead 'family' rides once a month.

Looking into the need and costs of ride leader insurance I ended up affiliating the club to the CTC.
Currently £65 per annum gets you ride leader insurance, plus all other CTC affiliated club benefits.
I recommend following this route, it is quick and easy.

If you can get this insurance any cheaper then I am keen to hear about it.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

julk wrote:I started a cycling club at my local church and lead 'family' rides once a month.

Looking into the need and costs of ride leader insurance I ended up affiliating the club to the CTC.
Currently £65 per annum gets you ride leader insurance, plus all other CTC affiliated club benefits.

My local campaign group reached exactly the same concusion.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

iandriver wrote:
julk wrote:I started a cycling club at my local church and lead 'family' rides once a month.

My local campaign group reached exactly the same concusion.

Ditto. I run an annual ride for a community group here and we affiliated it to the CTC to get cover. It doesn't have to be a cycling club. For the insurance to be valid you have to follow the CTC ride leader guidance, but that shouldn't be a problem.

But... you also need to watch out for the Package Travel Regulations 1992. If you're offering any two out of accommodation, transport and "other tourist services" (which could include guiding groups on a ride or providing a route sheet) then you might be running a package holiday, which opens up all sorts of legal requirements on you. (This was one of the reasons that CTC Cycle Tours became a much more organised and distinct body back in the '90s.) Handy guide here, or Google for other sources. If the event was just for your community group the regs probably wouldn't apply, but the mention of "cyclists from around the country" makes it sound wider than that.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I was paying about £55 a year through ABCC for my mountain leader insurance. This gave £5 million cover for any one claim against you.

I think this is only available if you have passed an appropriate guiding/coaching qualification. I had a MIAS level 2 qualification.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Thank you so much for taking time to respond.
I definitely need to take a closer look at affiliating ourselves to the CTC, or other cover.
Nice one byegad. :D
Regards
Millhouse