Apa Audax Ti

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
beetroot

Re: Apa Audax Ti

Post by beetroot »

magical_mouse wrote:Hi, i wanted a triple and the 105 suited me, i changed the inner ring to a 26, the brake blocks to koolstop and the saddle to spa leather, plus fitted dog dawg to prevent chain derailing off inner. All were fitted during the build, otherwise the specified equiment was as i would have chosen - I also specified 175 cranks/10cm stem/ 50mm spacers (steerer cut to fit). Wheels specified 32/36 spoking - came with the lighter XR2 rims which look/ride well.

Brilliant build everything tight and well greased where applicable - showed care and attention and Spa can do any custom build to suit, i was orginally playing with the idea of Apex with 12-36 cassette and MTB rear changer and they were happy to build that spec. but they had dropped the 105 price and i decided a triple with 12-30 cassette was more sensible.

d

Magic Mouse, I assume from your response that you've purchased a SPA (or even an APA!) Ti audax. One thing I was unsure of was the Rigida Chrina rims. Sure they're bomb proof, but perhaps a little more than I require as I will use it for day ride sand commuting not loaded touring. Any heavy loads would only be short distance urban commuting etc. Therefore was wondering whether I could get by with lighter rims, plus I weigh 70 kilos.

Do you think Mavic Open Pro rims could work? They are lighter still and could be fitted with a 36/32 spoke combination. Spa don't supply them, but I guess they would build wheel, if I supplied rim?

Low gears is something I'm interested in. Age and living in Cumbria. I was thinking tiagra 12-30 cassette, but hadn't considered changing inner ring as well. Do you find you use the 26-30 combination much?

What is the dog dawg? Is that required because of the 26 chain ring.

Did you consider the titantium seat post upgrade? unsure what the advantages would be. A couple of ounces, I presume but would it aid ride comfort?

How do you find the brakes?

Saddles are very personal, and I have a spare I could use.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

depends on the use. If I wanted it for all year round riding I would definately get something with discs, if not, I like the spec except for the wheels where I would go for something a little wider.
meic

Post by meic »

I like the spec except for the wheels where I would go for something a little wider.

It wouldnt really be an Audax bike any longer then. The 13.5mm Chrinas can take 28mm (max for the frame), in real life the only fatter option rims which I can think of that would still work for that bike would be the 15mm Open Pro/sports.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

beetroot wrote:...............Do you think Mavic Open Pro rims could work? They are lighter still and could be fitted with a 36/32 spoke combination..............

From my experience - Mavic Open Pros are light, responsive and, I assume, strong although I've never put them to the test.

However, I am very disappointed with the mileage that I get from Mavics. After years of exclusively using Mavics, I am looking for a rim which will take me further than one trip down to the chippy.

If it's performance that you want, and you don't have any financial limitations, then I'd think that Open Pros would be fine, but if I want miles for your money....................they'd not be fine for me.

I have them on my best bike, and I will in the future due to their performance, but that bike only goes out when it's not going to rain, so in an average British summer, it doesn't do much mileage. This year being an exception.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

beetroot wrote:Do you think Mavic Open Pro rims could work? They are lighter still and could be fitted with a 36/32 spoke combination. Spa don't supply them, but I guess they would build wheel, if I supplied rim?

IIRC Spa stopped supplying them because they found them not durable enough - apparently the rims wear out quickly. Colin531, recently retired as one of Spa's wheel builders and with a great deal of experience, could give you more info.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have open pros on my summertime bike and they are nice rims. About 70g lighter each than Chrinas, and tyres go on and off them more easily, too. I wouldn't expect them to last that long if used in hilly country in all weathers though, and they cost double.

DT do some nice rims of about the same weight and width, too. Their 450 model actually comes out slightly lighter than that when I've had them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My next rims may be Open Pros, but I wouldn't mind finding something else.

DT and Ambrosio come to mind, but I want 32/36 and in Silver. Chrinas fit the bill quite well, but their braking surfaces and their ERDs are variable IME. Nice and cheap though, so maybe you only get what you pay for!
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mavic CXP22 are worth a look too. External wear indicators.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Narrow?
Fit 23mm?
Silver?
32h and 36h?
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

I would have thought the logical replacement is the Exal XR2 but it may not suit the looks of your bike.

i dont have an exact figure for the ERD of Chrinas but I think, it is longer than most of the other rims so you would need to respoke.

A possible exception is the Mavic Open Sport which has a very long ERD and should be able to fit where a Chrina was before.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:Narrow?
Fit 23mm?
Silver?
32h and 36h?

I'd suggest to check the manufacturer website for the specs, and stockists for availability, before getting too excited about any given rim!

As it happens I think the CXP 22 is perfect with a 25mm tyre, but that is as much a matter of taste as engineering...

cheers
magical_mouse

Post by magical_mouse »

Beetroot, answerting your questions - i have posted replies below each point

Magic Mouse, I assume from your response that you've purchased a SPA (or even an APA!) Ti audax. One thing I was unsure of was the Rigida Chrina rims. Sure they're bomb proof, but perhaps a little more than I require as I will use it for day ride sand commuting not loaded touring. Any heavy loads would only be short distance urban commuting etc. Therefore was wondering whether I could get by with lighter rims, plus I weigh 70 kilos.

Do you think Mavic Open Pro rims could work? They are lighter still and could be fitted with a 36/32 spoke combination. Spa don't supply them, but I guess they would build wheel, if I supplied rim?

They fitted xr2 rims which are (just) lighter than open sport but heavier than open pro, these wheels are fine and are the same internal width as chinra so should take 28mm tyres (Spa say they will), i have 25mm duranos fitte which are comfortable over diustance on poor roads (for me but i am 12 stone and a bit)

Low gears is something I'm interested in. Age and living in Cumbria. I was thinking tiagra 12-30 cassette, but hadn't considered changing inner ring as well. Do you find you use the 26-30 combination much?

Yes, once on a 1-in-4 in the middle of an audax

Not necessaarily but on my steel bike i had the chain miss the inner ring when changing under stress and this cures any possible problem

Did you consider the titantium seat post upgrade? unsure what the advantages would be. A couple of ounces, I presume but would it aid ride comfort?

Not at that price, i do find the leather saddle is fine and very comfortable wit the standard seatpost.there is some concern about ti bonding with itself but this may not be true if you use the correct grease

OK i fitted koolstop pads (actually Spa did it as part of the build) - i like to stop - maybe top of the range shimano would be better but these are satisfactory - Spa can replace them with Shimano but not in black

Hope this helps

d
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

meic wrote: ......... i dont have an exact figure for the ERD of Chrinas ......
Neither do I, and I've built half a dozen of them, and they were all different!
Mick F. Cornwall
beetroot

Post by beetroot »

magical_mouse wrote:Beetroot, answerting your questions - i have posted replies below each point

They fitted xr2 rims which are (just) lighter than open sport but heavier than open pro, these wheels are fine and are the same internal width as chinra so should take 28mm tyres (Spa say they will), i have 25mm duranos fitte which are comfortable over diustance on poor roads (for me but i am 12 stone and a bit)

Not necessaarily but on my steel bike i had the chain miss the inner ring when changing under stress and this cures any possible problem

Not at that price, i do find the leather saddle is fine and very comfortable wit the standard seatpost.there is some concern about ti bonding with itself but this may not be true if you use the correct grease

OK i fitted koolstop pads (actually Spa did it as part of the build) - i like to stop - maybe top of the range shimano would be better but these are satisfactory - Spa can replace them with Shimano but not in black

Hope this helps

d

Hello,

Thanks for answers. How did going to 26 inner chain and a 30 cog rear (I assume tiagra 12-30 cassette), work with capacity limits of the shimano 15 deraillers?
Which I understand to be front 22T, rear 30T, capacity 39T.
beetroot

Post by beetroot »

magical_mouse wrote:Beetroot, answerting your questions - i have posted replies below each point

Hope this helps

d

Hello,

Thanks for answers. How did going to 26 inner chain and a 30 cog rear (I assume tiagra 12-30 cassette), work with capacity limits of the shimano 15 deraillers?
Which I understand to be front 22T, rear 30T, capacity 39T. So 50-26 is 24T front, and overall capacity 42T would seem to exceed shimano 105 capacity.