Apa Audax Ti

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
beetroot

Apa Audax Ti

Post by beetroot »

Hello All,

I've been looking at this bike from Spa. Looking at their standard spec, is there anything you would change and why?

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s21p2868
fossala

Re: Apa Audax Ti

Post by fossala »

Yeah, I would get rid of the STI's. But that is just because I get on with bar end shifters more. I would also throw on a brooks saddle but that happens to every bike I have.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

beetroot wrote: "Apa Audax Ti" .... is there anything you would change and why?

the thread title? :roll: :wink:

but it depends on what you want to use the bike for, and what expectations you have.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
meic

Post by meic »

I think that it is basically a very good choice of spec. In fact it could well be that Spa know what they are doing more than I do and the changes which I suggest are not an improvement.

If I was given one now, as is, I would replace the inner ring with a 26 or 28t version (if that is still possible with 5700).
When the back tyre was worn after 4,000 miles or so I would replace it with 28mm.

If there was a Tiagra version available at a suitable price reduction, I would take it to save money, though I would have to dither and would partly regret downgrading on a favourite bike.

I would also choose Vittoria Rubino Pros instead of the Duranos on value for money grounds, I have no complaint with Duranos (or Stelvios as mine are called).

If I was building the bike from scratch it would have a nine speed STI system (old Tiagra/Sora) not ten speed as the chains are easier to repair and for now it works out cheaper to run.
I would have a square taper triple crankset (external BB tend to have much shorter lefespans), possibly even a 110 BCD version like the Stronglight Triple, then with hypocrisy I would spend the money saved from the 105s on TA Alize rings. :oops:
SRAM PG970 cassettes 11-32 if I can get it to work 11-30 if not.
I would stick with the 105 wheels and the modern 105 rear deraileur (or the 10spd Tiagra version depending on price)

Shimano A520 pedals.

That is really just personal preference and I do think that, as sold, it is a good choice of components from what is available and will work well.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

That is quite a question. Most of us who buy our frames and then build our own bikes up wouldn't build them exactly as the Spa - but that's preference and not any kind of either criticism or fault finding.

I have thought about your question and, on the basis that this is a ready-built bike, the only thing I'd actually change is the gear shifters (or levers, as we called them in the good old days) - I'd change to down-tube friction levers. The last time I saw one of these bikes, there was a boss on the down-tube for the levers.

I'd give the saddle a few thousand miles before changing that - and then I probably wouldn't

The thing about the Spa bikes is that they're specified by experienced cyclists who know cycling. There are so many flash, brightly coloured, squeaky fashionable, "I'd recommend this sir......." outfits around that turn the heads of folk who aren't experienced - and they then buy the wrong thing for them - but Spa know what they're doing and quietly get on with it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote:That is quite a question. Most of us who buy our frames and then build our own bikes up wouldn't build them exactly as the Spa - but that's preference and not any kind of either criticism or fault finding.
Agree.

Change?
Get rid of the STI and install Campag Ergos or DT levers
I wouldn't buy Rigida Chrina again
I wouldn't want carbon forks
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
First change the frame for a more durable steel.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[quote="Mick F..............I wouldn't buy Rigida Chrina again
I wouldn't want carbon forks[/quote]

I know you're feelings about Rigida Chrinas Mick - but would you change the rims, rather than wear them out and then replace with something else?

Carbon forks - would that be a change, or simply a different bike?
Last edited by JohnW on 26 Aug 2013, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
First change the frame for a more durable steel.

Clearly, your sentiments are similar to mine, but I don't think that was the question..................or was it, given Spa's range of steel frames. I know an increasing number of cyclists with Spa Titanium frames, and I've not heard of a problem so far.

Debate on this would only confuse the issue....... :lol: :lol: :lol:........and go on, and on, and on, and..................
meic

Post by meic »

A number of titanium frames fail "because they are titanium". a steel bike that fails under the same circumstances doesnt fail because it was steel, it fails because it hit a car, had insufficient seat post length, had a material defect, poor workmanship was abused, used beyond sensible limits, bad design or just bad luck. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

JohnW wrote:
Mick F wrote:..............I wouldn't buy Rigida Chrina again
I wouldn't want carbon forks

I know you're feelings about Rigida Chrinas Mick - but would you change the rims, rather than wear them out and then replace with something else?

Carbon forks - would that be a change, or simply a different bike?
True, I suppose, but as far as the design was concerned, that's what I'd change at the design stage.

If the bike was given to me, yes, I'd wait and see and change stuff as required.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

They even have CF forks on the steel framed Audax bike.

It is the first time that I have looked at the Spa Steel Audax and only on very rare occasions do I find the look of a bike intrinsically appealing and that is one of the best looking bikes that I have seen in years!

I have to say it is better looking than my titanium bike and their titanium bike.
Yma o Hyd
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Spa will do you a very good deal on titanium rack or titanium seat post upgrade at the time you order the bike. Details are on their site. They'll also do a good deal on a dynamo light if you want one. Although there's not much they can di to reduce basic bike cost, they are very good at offering deals on upgrades.

On my TOURER, I went for titanium rack, Stronglight crank, and dynamo.
magical_mouse

Post by magical_mouse »

Hi, i wanted a triple and the 105 suited me, i changed the inner ring to a 26, the brake blocks to koolstop and the saddle to spa leather, plus fitted dog dawg to prevent chain derailing off inner. All were fitted during the build, otherwise the specified equiment was as i would have chosen - I also specified 175 cranks/10cm stem/ 50mm spacers (steerer cut to fit). Wheels specified 32/36 spoking - came with the lighter XR2 rims which look/ride well.

Brilliant build everything tight and well greased where applicable - showed care and attention and Spa can do any custom build to suit, i was orginally playing with the idea of Apex with 12-36 cassette and MTB rear changer and they were happy to build that spec. but they had dropped the 105 price and i decided a triple with 12-30 cassette was more sensible.

d
robgul

Post by robgul »

There's a thread over on Cycle Chat comparing the Spa Ti Audax with a Sabbath ... one issue with the Spa was the, quote - "agricultural look"

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker