Audax - What is it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meic

Re: Audax - What is it?

Postby meic » 27 Aug 2013, 10:16am

I have never been on a Sportive for two reasons.

Firstly I do not do helmets
Secondly, I am too slow to complete them in time.

Yet I can sail through 200k Audaxes (or could a few years ago).

I often find that there is a clique of riders on an Audax who shoot off like racers at the start and are completely unaware of the slower brigades who tour around the Audax. The only contact is at the start line and that is soon forgotten about.
It is not unknown for members of that clique to "pack"* an Audax rather than ride around with the "value for money" (as they are derisively referred to) brigade.

As the min speed for an Audax is 9mph or even 7.5mph and the min speed for a Sportive is around 12.5mph, I dont quite see how Sportives are on the whole slower.

I notice that inexperienced is equated to being slow. :wink:
My speed is going down but my experience level is still going up.

*The term for giving up and not completing the ride.
Yma o Hyd

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 27 Aug 2013, 10:32am

meic wrote:In simple incorrect terms a long ride which is not a race but has time limits. Self-sufficiency is a key-word and must be solely human powered.
Originally how far can you ride in a day?

More Detail

If you say this to a hardcore AUK, you'll get flamed.

LONG DISTANCE are the key words.

If you want 'Self sufficiency', AUK's DIY permanent format is the feature for you. You ride the distance on your own, collecting receipts from Hospital A&E depts along the way.
Ideally, the last 'proof' is from a Funeral Director. :lol: :wink:

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 27 Aug 2013, 10:41am

With experience, average speed on an Audax reduces over the years. The ‘Experienced’ Audaxer knows it is not a race, no times are published and cake tastes better if not rushed.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 10:42am

meic wrote:I often find that there is a clique of riders on an Audax who shoot off like racers at the start and are completely unaware of the slower brigades who tour around the Audax. The only contact is at the start line and that is soon forgotten about.

Ain't there just? One of the best recipes for a bad day is to go with them. I've done it many a time: 100 k of euphoria followed by 300 of torture. Finishing feels great, though.

BTW, I've been looking at Bordeaux-Paris, which is a bit of a 3-legged camel. It's 610 km with ~4000 m climbing and offers three options, two which are true sportives at 32 hours max, but the randonneur option allows 60 hours, which is enormous. 40 would be the ACP max.

I'd love to do Levallois-Honfleur this year and do the return ride with the UAF, but I'm crocked.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 10:43am

Ayesha wrote:With experience, average speed on an Audax reduces over the years. The ‘Experienced’ Audaxer knows it is not a race, no times are published and cake tastes better if not rushed.

Amen.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 27 Aug 2013, 11:11am

Short Audax is similar to the Cyclist’s Touring Club’s ‘100 in 10’ ride where a designated lunch venue was announced prior to the ride.
The object of a ‘100 in 10’ is to cover 100 miles within 10 hours.

Unlike the CTC, Audax Authorities demand ‘proof of passage’. This takes the form of a card that requires ink stamps and signatures.

The original concept of ‘Audax’ was the brainchild of an Italian who suggested a bicycle be ridden from Rome to Naples ( 230 km ) within daylight hours.
A Frenchman saw this could be ‘a nice little earner’ as cycling became popular across Europe.
He formed a society which awarded medals to successful participants in events.

At approximately the same time in England, the pastime of ‘Bicycle orienteering’ was being done, where cyclists would be given a list of Cafes and shops immediately before the event, and they would plot their course there and then. The object was to visit each place and return before sunset.
This format is TOTALLY AND UTTERLY frowned upon and rejected by all Audax affiliated organisations. It’s TOO DIFFICULT.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 27 Aug 2013, 11:29am

The first Audax in Great Britain was the 50 km C-B-C.

One of John Kemp Starley’s workers was asked to “Take this letter to BSA, and be back before we close.”
:wink:

jochta

Postby jochta » 27 Aug 2013, 11:32am

Squeezebox

Postby Squeezebox » 27 Aug 2013, 11:50am

I have done a fair bit of touring ( loaded with four panniers etc) and can find myself around perfectly well with a map. What I would like to do are some organised "events" and for me Audax seemed worth thinking about next year. I have only ever cycled long distances on my own tours.

However I appreciate there are special "Audax bikes" but I am not really sporty at all. Would a Galaxy be OK for Audax (I know people SAY you can use any bike, but would I actually be out of place on a 2007 Dawes Ultra Galaxy?) My bike is comfortable and I know its mechanics well. I have racks of course and I am happy to sit on it hour after hour as I have done for years.

Its of no interest to me in doing an event quickly, just to take part and enjoy the structure and focus of an organised event. I reckon I stand a chance at the average speeds for completion rather than have any interest in finishing quickly. If I find myself going too fast I can always make the last tea stop last longer surely?

At 49 feel I am quite capable of building up from shorter to longer events over a couple of years.

So Audax sounds a possible thought.

(and yes, as per other topic, I do have mudgurads, a beard and the less said about sandals the better.....Hi Mr Audax67 :D )

jochta

Postby jochta » 27 Aug 2013, 11:57am

Squeezebox wrote:I have done a fair bit of touring ( loaded with four panniers etc) and can find myself around perfectly well with a map. What I would like to do are some organised "events" and for me Audax seemed worth thinking about next year. I have only ever cycled long distances on my own tours.

However I appreciate there are special "Audax bikes" but I am not really sporty at all. Would a Galaxy be OK for Audax (I know people SAY you can use any bike, but would I actually be out of place on a 2007 Dawes Ultra Galaxy?) My bike is comfortable and I know its mechanics well. I have racks of course and I am happy to sit on it hour after hour as I have done for years.

Its of no interest to me in doing an event quickly, just to take part and enjoy the structure and focus of an organised event. I reckon I stand a chance at the average speeds for completion rather than have any interest in finishing quickly. If I find myself going too fast I can always make the last tea stop last longer surely?

At 49 feel I am quite capable of building up from shorter to longer events over a couple of years.

So Audax sounds a possible thought.

(and yes, as per other topic, I do have mudgurads, a beard and the less said about sandals the better.....Hi Mr Audax67 :D )

You'll find plenty of Dawes Ultra Galaxies on an Audax!! It's a perfect choice. They are literally any bike though, you will see all sorts, e.g. foldaways, tandems, recumbents, trikes, veteran bikes etc. etc.. I've ridden 'race' bikes, tourers, audax and fixed gear bikes on Audax as the mood/weather takes me.

It sounds like Audax is a perfect choice for you. They are brilliant, I love 'em :)

meic

Postby meic » 27 Aug 2013, 12:00pm

Dawes Galaxy is fine.

Some would even ride it with the panniers on.

A big Audax myth is that you will not be left behind and that somebody will ride with you. It isnt totally a myth, you will not be left behind if you are fast enough to keep up. :wink:

There are many Audaxes which I regularly ride alone because I just can not keep up with any others, despite finishing well within time myself. It does depend on who else turns up, so you may wish to fix the odds by making sure somebody else turns up that you can ride with.

The Audaxes with small attendances are my favourites but ride them while you can AUK has looked upon Sportives with a covetous eye and is seeking to change its image by removing its more embarrassing side, ie small groups of bearded, mudguarded cyclists sedately touring the countryside.
Yma o Hyd

philg

Postby philg » 27 Aug 2013, 12:06pm

Squeezebox wrote:However I appreciate there are special "Audax bikes" but I am not really sporty at all. Would a Galaxy be OK for Audax (I know people SAY you can use any bike, but would I actually be out of place on a 2007 Dawes Ultra Galaxy?) My bike is comfortable and I know its mechanics well. I have racks of course and I am happy to sit on it hour after hour as I have done for years.

A Galaxy is absolutely fine for Audax, and you almost certainly won't be alone on one in any event I've done - comfort & reliability are the most important features IMO.

It's a broad church though, some opt for lightweight-carbon-fantasy bikes with scarcely a mini-pump to weigh them down, others fully loaded touring bikes with a headset press just in case.

In any case, on a long ride once you've added extra layers of clothing, lights, food supplies and mudguards (desirable for most of the year) the starting weight of the bikes becomes increasingly academic!
The weekend comes, my cycle hums

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 27 Aug 2013, 12:15pm

As I understand it (having only done sportives) that with a sportive you have a set route to follow with sign posting pointing the way. But with an audax you are given a map have have to ride through control points but other than that you decide your own route and do your own navigating?

meic

Postby meic » 27 Aug 2013, 12:21pm

You are normally given a route sheet with a detailed list of where to turn and when. Nowadays you are often also given a .gpx file to pop into your GPS.

You are obliged to go to each control point but can pick your own route. Not much point in joining a group ride and the riding your own route though.
Yma o Hyd

Squeezebox

Postby Squeezebox » 27 Aug 2013, 12:36pm

meic wrote:
Some would even ride it with the panniers on.

Oh yes....I cant go anywhere without panniers ! I need them to carry my helmet in once Ive got around the corner and taken it off so MrsSqueeze feels happy that she thinks I'm wearing it!