Audax - What is it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Audax67

Re: Audax - What is it?

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 2:07pm

Ayesha wrote:The original concept of ‘Audax’ was the brainchild of an Italian who suggested a bicycle be ridden from Rome to Naples ( 230 km ) within daylight hours.

You're right. Brain fart on my part. That ride was quite an epic.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

jochta

Postby jochta » 27 Aug 2013, 2:07pm

Audax67 wrote:
Adam S wrote:Can anybody clarify the pronunciation of 'Audax' for me? It's a word I've seen written many times but never heard spoken. It's probably obvious but, not being an English word, I guess it's best to ask (not that i'm likely to have much use for it).

Awdax would be English, Owdax German and Oh-dax French. Take your pick. The English riders who've ridden with us use the French pronunciation.

I always say AWEdax but my club colleague I sometimes ride with always says OWdax. Note that the plural of Audax is Audax (not Audaxes) :)

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 27 Aug 2013, 2:57pm

jochta wrote:
Audax67 wrote:
Adam S wrote:Can anybody clarify the pronunciation of 'Audax' for me? It's a word I've seen written many times but never heard spoken. It's probably obvious but, not being an English word, I guess it's best to ask (not that i'm likely to have much use for it).

Awdax would be English, Owdax German and Oh-dax French. Take your pick. The English riders who've ridden with us use the French pronunciation.

I always say AWEdax but my club colleague I sometimes ride with always says OWdax. Note that the plural of Audax is Audax (not Audaxes) :)

The plural of Audax is definitely not Audi. If it was, the emblem wouldn't be an eagle, it would be a tit.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 3:05pm

NB bold is just one meaning of the Latin audax. Another is rash.;)

Squeezebox

Postby Squeezebox » 27 Aug 2013, 3:15pm

(OK, Im back here again.)

Been looking around the interweb and of course immediatly found AUK. They list some events close to me in SE England, mainly 100km ones which would be a perfect starting point. Are there other places to look that I havn't found that may help plan a progressive year of events for 2014 ?

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 3:23pm

Squeezebox wrote:(OK, Im back here again.)

Been looking around the interweb and of course immediatly found AUK. They list some events close to me in SE England, mainly 100km ones which would be a perfect starting point. Are there other places to look that I havn't found that may help plan a progressive year of events for 2014 ?

You can get the world calendar here:

http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/i ... owpage=323

BRM are Brevets Randonneur Mondiaux - what the rest of the world calls Audax. The ACP can't call them Audax in France because it's © Union des Audax Français.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 27 Aug 2013, 3:44pm

Most will be AUK events, but do keep an eye on the CTC Tourist Competition:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/event-listing?fie ... y_to_one=Y
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

jochta

Postby jochta » 27 Aug 2013, 4:09pm

A couple of very easy early season ones in the south, barely a hill between them...

Windrush Winter Warm-up - usually in Feb - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-32/ (this year's details)
The Kennet Valley 100 - 1st Mar 2014 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-51/

I try and do one 100km or greater a month. I'll probably start with...

Watership Down - 12th Jan 2014 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-29/

...which has a couple of climbs but isn't madly hilly (1,235m of ascent).

meic

Postby meic » 27 Aug 2013, 5:21pm

Too early yet the rides for next year will not have been decided, though looking at last year will give you a good idea most are repeated every year on about the same date.

Have you found that you can alter the dates on a search function and I think you can even alter it to start a long time in the past so you can look at the rides which have already run this year.

There are deadlines within the year for the release of rides onto the calendar when whole bunches may be added, otherwise it is when the organisers feel like doing it.

I am 49 too which makes us both just a couple of years younger than average AUK rides riders. :D
Yma o Hyd

Big T

Postby Big T » 27 Aug 2013, 8:50pm

I really like doing audax and have done 15 in the last 2 years. One of the things I don't like is that hardcore audaxers seem to frown on anything that is less than 200km. Of the 15 i've done, 12 were 100 kms, 1 120 kms, 1 160 kms (100 miles) and one 200 kms.

I know 100k isn't particularly challenging, but I like doing these because you get to ride on different roads and they don't take up the whole day. I can get round an undulating 100k audax with 2 cafe stops in around 4 hrs 20 mins. My first one took me over 6 hours.

I did feel a sense of achievement from doing the 200k (actually 213km), but it killed my knees and took 10.5 hours, and I blew up just after the 100 mile mark and grovelled to the finish.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

philg

Postby philg » 27 Aug 2013, 9:02pm

Big T wrote:One of the things I don't like is that hardcore audaxers seem to frown on anything that is less than 200km.

I don't think it's frowned upon so much as, by our own rules, Audax starts at 200k and anything less is 'not-a-real-Audax'.

FWIW I would probably count as a hardcore Audaxer (PBP x3) but I've done more 100's this year than anything longer and I don't look in the mirror and frown (wince maybe but no frowns)

And a 213k in 10.5hrs is certainly nothing to be ashamed of for a first 200 (or any 200 for that matter).
The weekend comes, my cycle hums

drossall

Postby drossall » 27 Aug 2013, 9:28pm

Big T wrote:One of the things I don't like is that hardcore audaxers seem to frown on anything that is less than 200km.

It hardly matters, really. As long as you never ride a longer event, you won't meet any of that particular minority, will you?

I've always found Audaxers a welcoming lot, regardless of your speed or distance.

meic

Postby meic » 27 Aug 2013, 9:44pm

Big T wrote:
I know 100k isn't particularly challenging, but I like doing these because you get to ride on different roads and they don't take up the whole day. I can get round an undulating 100k audax with 2 cafe stops in around 4 hrs 20 mins. My first one took me over 6 hours.

My fastest was 5 hours and that had no stops in it. My last one took seven hours.

I did feel a sense of achievement from doing the 200k (actually 213km), but it killed my knees and took 10.5 hours, and I blew up just after the 100 mile mark and grovelled to the finish.

With 2 hours to spare.

Are you always in such a hurry? :lol:
Yma o Hyd

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2013, 10:01pm

meic wrote:

With 2 hours to spare.

Are you always in such a hurry? :lol:

The art of Audax is to use all the time except a bit of a cushion for mishaps. The UAF rules even state a minimum time for completing the course: if the pack comes home sooner everyone's disqualified. Not that I've ever heard of that happening, but it could.

BTW if a measly 200k is killing your knees then something needs adjusting.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 28 Aug 2013, 7:34am

To the purist, an ‘Ord-axe’ is a bike ride of just over 200 km, or 1/50th of the distance between the north pole and the equator.
A few more enthusiastic cyclists take enormous amounts of pleasure in riding their bicycles for multiples of this distance. Some ride 400, and some ride 600. A very few ride 1000, 1200 and 1400 km.
There is a web forum ( not connected to any ACP or affiliate clubs ) where these few can show off.
Showing symptoms of permanent brain damage, the very, very few cyclists who endeavour on these escapades chatter merrily about “Why don’t other cyclists do this?”