Audax - What is it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ayesha

Re: Audax - What is it?

Post by Ayesha »

I was corrected last night.

Before the Italians and Henri Desgrange got involved, the bike ride was the "Bath and back" from Hyde Park Corner or Kew Gardens. 200 miles along the A4.

My informer tells me it was organised by London Polytechnic and was an endurance long distance event.
When the Safety Bicycle became widely available, it became a race event.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Don't think this has been said, apologies if it has.

To my mind the main practical difference between a sportive & an Audax is that on a sportive the route is usually waymarked whereas you just get instructions for an audax (and for either there may or may not be a downloadable route). There is also likely to be some sort of mechanical support on a sportive - I've been on ones with motorbike marshalls/mechanics &/or a broom wagon.

Although sportives have a reputation for attracting racers they can be a good introduction to longer rides for the rider who is less confident at navigation and/or fixing things mechanically. You may well get help & support if you need it on an audax but that may depend on the ride & the particular clientèle there.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks meic for your comments about time taken to complete and Rick H about the differences between Audax and a Sportive. Very helpful
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looked it up on line:
http://latin-dictionary.net/search/latin/audax

AUDAX is a Latin adjective.

It means:
audacious, presumptuous
bold, daring
courageous
desperate
reckless, rash

Which definition fits with AudaxUK? :D
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

RickH wrote:Don't think this has been said, apologies if it has.

To my mind the main practical difference between a sportive & an Audax is that on a sportive the route is usually waymarked whereas you just get instructions for an audax (and for either there may or may not be a downloadable route). There is also likely to be some sort of mechanical support on a sportive - I've been on ones with motorbike marshalls/mechanics &/or a broom wagon.

Although sportives have a reputation for attracting racers they can be a good introduction to longer rides for the rider who is less confident at navigation and/or fixing things mechanically. You may well get help & support if you need it on an audax but that may depend on the ride & the particular clientèle there.

Rick

The other difference is that sportives publish timed results, but Audax doesn't. If you want to know your placing, you can try asking the finish controller how many people have finished yet & when the first came in. He may tell you, otherwise it's eyeing up the stack of completed cards and trying to read the finishing sheet upside down.
It's the timed results list that attracts the racier element.

As for help and support, it will mostly come from the other riders.
If you are seen by the side of the road, most people will just call "OK?" as they go past. You've got to be fairly sharp to call for help if you need it, otherwise they will be out of earshot. It's generally assumed that you can cope with a puncture and have the kit, so if you are riding with someone at the time, whether they stop with you or not is likely to depend on how interesting the conversation was at the time.
A control may have something fthe controller arrived by car rather than bike, and if you run out of steam half way round, it's up to you to find the short route back, get to a station or call for a taxi. Some controllers will go out and look for missing riders, so if you do decide to pack the ride in, try to get a message back either at a control (preferably) or via another rider.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Big T wrote:I really like doing audax and have done 15 in the last 2 years. One of the things I don't like is that hardcore audaxers seem to frown on anything that is less than 200km.

... and sneer even at that:

Audax67 wrote:BTW if a measly 200k is killing your knees then something needs adjusting.

:(
Magilla Gorilla

Post by Magilla Gorilla »

I haven't done a UK sportive, but based on the comments on here they do seem a bit extreme. Here in Ireland, 99% of them are fund-raising events for local charities. I can't even think of one off-hand that is used to raise club funds, but maybe these do exist....

Timing chips and published results are non-existant. My club pulled out of one of our own sportives this year because the main charity involved insisted on the use of timing chips- the feedback afterwards was that the event was spoiled by the absence of our club.

The Sky Etape Hibernia only lasted two years here- again, the overtly commercial feel and use of timing chips etc. caused it to lose support.

I'm stunned at references to paying for food at stops. Here, you will be given tea, sandwiches, cake, fruit etc. at any event, all included in the entry fee.

Not all events are equal and some are better organised than others, but if what I've read is true, UK sportives are to be avoided at all costs.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

Been getting a lot from this thread, and thanks to those who put up suggestions for events to try. I will be following those up.

So in light of all this discussion and inspiration, Ive found a 100k event in October that starts two miles away from home! So its a start, and one to get in this year. Next year build them up a bit.

However, Im only going because you said that I would be fine on the Galaxy :wink: ......which is a shame as I'm looking for an excuse to buy a completely new bike for something!
meic

Post by meic »

I am very taken with the looks of the Steel Spa Audax and I would much prefer to do most Audaxes on it than a Galaxy.
Both being infinitely preferable to a fixed gear bike.

Without panniers on either. :wink:

Luggage on Audaxes seems to have switched from the near ubiquitous rack packs (with the odd retro saddlebag) when I started to the now ubiquitous Carradice saddlebags (with the odd retro rackpack). :lol:
Yma o Hyd
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

I've got a rack pack too.....but its the Carradice one with expanding lid and only holds 10-11 litres.....barely enough for my food :D I use it because I know I always carry too much all the time and its good for me to try and carry less....so I get told when Im out with CTC rides !!......then when they aren't looking I wack a pannier or two on !!

...oh I have got an old Carradice saddlebag too....but its on my 1950's bike....I guess that might make me look better :D

The Spa does look interesting (steel I guess rather than Ti), as does the possibilities of using something like the Genesis Equilibrium. Its also my 50th soon and MrsSqueeze might even be possible to squeeze even extra wife pounds from her and go for the Roberts Audax bike.....see....I am serious :D...only got around to filling in one form, not even posted it yet, and I now need a custom built bike :lol:
beetroot

Post by beetroot »

Obviously contributors are not familiar with following 'rules'!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Last edited by beetroot on 2 Sep 2013, 9:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

beetroot wrote:Obviously contributors are not familiar with following 'rules'!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

They only apply in Countries that ADOPTED the diamond frame bicycle. They can be ignored in the country where the diamond frame bicycle was invented.

Coventrians and Brummies have just one rule.

"Try quoting rules and you wake up in hospital."

And as for Audax. If you can get to the next control on the train, do it. Don't waste energy pedalling a friggin bicycle :roll:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

A very few ride 1000, 1200 and 1400 km.

Last month's London-Edinburgh-London 1400km had 1,100 entries. Not sure how many completed it but a fair estimate would be around 800.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Grandad wrote:
A very few ride 1000, 1200 and 1400 km.

Last month's London-Edinburgh-London 1400km had 1,100 entries. Not sure how many completed it but a fair estimate would be around 800.

In every hobby, pastime or sport, there will always be a few participants who take the activity to extreme.

Compared with the number of cyclists in Eurpoe, 800 is a multiple zero decimal percentage.
In the grand scheme of things, they are an insignificant outlying 'blip' on the distribution curve of cycling.
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

Its fun more than anything- with a decent route ie one that does not ascend AND descend hills for the hell of it, plus some good grub at the end and a welcoming host its the perfect way to spend a cycling day. Some riders race, others don't -its best to set of near the front and follow the others until theyt pass you or you lose the route sheet.

All sorts of bikes are ridden fancy dans, tatty and everything inb between. The other riders are in genral friendly and will help if they can should a problem arise- give one ago you'll find other riders pedalling at the same pace to talk to- you can then pour over the results printrd on line

Quist