Audax - What is it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LWaB

Re: Audax - What is it?

Postby LWaB » 3 Sep 2013, 10:20pm

Paris-Brest-Paris gets 5000 riders. That sounds like a popular event to me.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Sep 2013, 8:33pm

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Just looked it up on line:
http://latin-dictionary.net/search/latin/audax
AUDAX is a Latin adjective.
It means:
audacious, presumptuous
bold, daring
courageous
desperate
reckless, rash
Which definition fits with AudaxUK? :D

Your all those Mick F :)
What was the question..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 6 Sep 2013, 1:10pm

a decent route ie one that does not ascend AND descend hills for the hell of it

If you are collecting AAA (Audax Altitude Award) points these indecent routes are just what you are looking for. They are specially noted in the event details so you can avoid or seek them according to your taste.

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 9 Sep 2013, 2:39pm

I posted for the the hell of it if the route ascends or descends as part of its natural progression ok the routes I dislike are when I asecend/descend and then descend again- why bother? If I'm planning a route and have to descend after an ascent ok but when theres the option to stay at that level or near it why bother? It hardly encourages riders to take part does it - especially bearing in mind that an organiser doesn't have to rate the route for AAA pts. some don't on the proviso it tends to put riders off.

Theres no guarantee that a rider has ascended the hill which gives the AAA pts -I've completed rides with AAA pts awarded but that does not mea n I've cycled up the hil ( this of course has only happened once or twice)

Quist

meic

Postby meic » 9 Sep 2013, 2:48pm

the routes I dislike are when I asecend/descend and then descend again- why bother?

Every Audax I do has ended up at exactly the same place that I started at. :wink:
The whole ride is just a gratuitous ride with no point apart from the intrinsic pleasure/satisfaction/challenge/masochism of the ride itself. I dont see why the climbing should be different.

Nothing in what I say removes your right to like or dislike any part of it though. :D

I did notice on my last two Audaxes that I was about to go down a rather major hill to a control and then turn around and come back up on a road not far to my side. On the Audax one before them we came back up the same road that we went down. Not much different to riding to a town and then turning around and riding back on the same road when it is flat.
Yma o Hyd

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 9 Sep 2013, 3:30pm

I remember a birthday rides audax doing similar, down to the café in Robin Hood's bay from whence there is but one way back.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

drossall

Postby drossall » 9 Sep 2013, 8:37pm

I can think of a couple of events where the organiser gives a strong impression of having found the biggest available hills to send us up.

Since the point is to ride someone else's recommended/favourite route, in an area you may not know, why shouldn't he/she do that? If it's not to your taste, choose another organiser.

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 10 Sep 2013, 7:23am

I've never really thought of it as someone elses favourite ride, and there are certain organisers whose routes I keep away from after having ridden them. Its not just the ride ( I can cope with that its the travel/accomodation expenses as well.

The first one I rode Rutland and Beyond ( old route years ago )- fitted my want of a ride - picteresque with not too much up and down for the hell of it

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 10 Sep 2013, 12:31pm

drossall wrote:I can think of a couple of events where the organiser gives a strong impression of having found the biggest available hills to send us up.

Since the point is to ride someone else's recommended/favourite route, in an area you may not know, why shouldn't he/she do that? If it's not to your taste, choose another organiser.

I can think of a HUNDRED events where the organiser gives a strong impression of having found the biggest available hills to send us up.