Turbo Trainer Recommendation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Turbo Trainer Recommendation

Post by groberts »

Following a recent knee operation, I have been advised by my physio to get a turbo trainer in order to (a) get better quicker and (b) get back on the road quicker.

Any recommendations please: not too expensive and simple to use with my Audax bike?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Turbo Trainer Recommendation

Post by Mick F »

Turbo trainers, just like "cycle machines" are boring coz all you do is pedal.

Buy some rollers instead.
Riding rollers isn't easy to learn, therefore you have to concentrate. Even when you've learned, you still have to concentrate to stay on!

Good thing about them, it teaches you control and a smooth pedalling style. Get in a high gear and go for it. 20 or 25mph in top gear gives you an excellent work-out. I tend to do 5mile sessions, cool off and do another - then repeat. 20miles in total and you really know you've been riding.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Probably one of the reasons for the Turbo is that you can take it steady and not over do things with the wrong knee. When I damaged my knee ligaments I used a Turbo with just my good leg (other pedal removed). This developed a very smooth and fluid pedalling technique enabling my good leg to do nearly all the work to begin with, as the knee improved then more effort could be given with the damaged one.
It was boring but I could listen to music, watch TV, or drink Tea, as I needed to spend time just moving the damaged joint with no effort on that leg.

I recommend getting one with the variable resistance switch that can be handlebar mounted. Ours has five resistance settings and we find that enough.
It is best to use a very smooth rear tyre of about 23 mm preferably one that has not been on the road. If you do use a road one then do a good check and remove and embedded bits.
The rear tyre need to be inflated hard and it is a good idea to raise the front wheel (phone directories will do).
The internal cam rear QR or nutted rear wheel are better than the newer type of clamp.

I would not recommend spending too much and getting the computer matched type just some thing basic at about £80.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

Just buy the cheapest turbo trainer if you only want to use it as physiotherapy to recover from your knee op.

I've had a cheap turbo trainer for 4 years but I haven't used it yet because it is so boring to use. However I'm about to have an op on my broken collar bone and so I have set my turbo trainer up ready to use while I am recovering from my operation. The good thing with a turbo trainer is that it's easy to use and you won't fall off it as you can if you try using rollers. I'll set up a TV/DVD player in front of the trainer alleviate the boredom. You can buy a tyre for use specifically on turbo trainers because I believe normal road tyres can get too hot.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-540589-home-trainer-range £100 for Decthlon's own. TV and or DVD player and or some inspirational music is essential, very boring but a life saver when you are on the injury list as I have been a few times recently.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Make sure the one you buy is quiet. I bought a cheap one a few years ago, which had a small fan arrangement at the back to offer resistance. The noise was so loud I stopped using it and eventually sold it. I think models that use magnets for resistance are much quieter.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

PaulB wrote:Make sure the one you buy is quiet. I bought a cheap one a few years ago, which had a small fan arrangement at the back to offer resistance. The noise was so loud I stopped using it and eventually sold it. I think models that use magnets for resistance are much quieter.

+1
Mine is so loud it frightened the cat in the next room.
The fan types are supposed to be the most realistic work-out but boy are they noisy.
I have to turn the volume upto full on the MP3 player. So now it sits in the garage as a bike support.
It is handy though when adjusting the gears or working on the bike. :P
You'll never know if you don't try it.
peterbayliss

Post by peterbayliss »

Not used it but this one is cheap.
On occasion you see unused turbo trainer on sale on this forum (and others) for low prices for the reason mentioned above and them going unused.
As suggested it might be worth getting a cheap one first to see how you get on with one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rollers are noisy too.

The good thing about them, besides the concentration required, is that you can use your bike as it is. Just hop on and pedal.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I had a look at the £100 Decathlon jobbie. Its OK. No speed or power indication, so computer pick-up on rear wheel for speed. Power absorption vs speed is a guessing game on a cheap mag-brake turbo.

If Decathlon is local, the extra £10 is worth spending so if anything breaks, you just take it back and get an exchange, rather than mailing it back to the on-line store.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks everyone, I will do some further homework and proceed - I've got a couple of weeks (or more) before I can get going. The Turbo Trainer appeals more than the rollers (a) it is more compact and (b) I can't see me using this regularly in the future - though I have been warned that further knee surgery is likely!! The idea is just to get the knee working well and rebuild some strength, not prepare for the TdF.

There is not a Decathlon near me but like the look of the Stealth and the Minoura B60, which was recommended by Bike Radar and is available at Evans (which is near me) for £119 at the moment. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ers-32041/

I am not familiar with how the TT works e.g. how does the rear wheel fix to the TT? I presume you have to remove the QR / Skewer to attach the wheel?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not at all, the rear quick release fits into the clamps and you tighten it up, some turbos such as tacx require a specific shape quick release, and come with the appropriate quick release, just remove your usual quick release and use the supplied one, regardless of whether you are using TT or riding on the road.... fixing the back wheel takes a few seconds. You may want to buy a riser for the front wheel so you are not riding at a down hill angle or employ a couple of thick hard backed books... piece of wood to lift the front wheel.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If you want cheap look at Machine Mart or Halfords. One way of keeping some of the noise down is to use a closed cell sleeping mat under the thing.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I've been using an Elite Volare Mag for a couple of winters and it's been great. Good idea to get a riser block for your front wheel and a big fan to keep you cool. Also helpful to have a mat under the trainer to cut down vibration and protect the floor and a sweat net or just a towel over the bike to protect from dripping perspiration.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
AlbionLass wrote:I've been using an Elite Volare Mag for a couple of winters and it's been great. Good idea to get a riser block for your front wheel and a big fan to keep you cool. Also helpful to have a mat under the trainer to cut down vibration and protect the floor and a sweat net or just a towel over the bike to protect from dripping perspiration.

+ 1
You might need two fans, the mat protects the floor / carpit from oil etc of bike.
Dont forget your drinks bottle too.
Ideal when its raining outside, music thats a mandatory and helps time fly.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.