Cadence - how do you measure?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LittleGreyCat

Re: Cadence - how do you measure?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks for all the info - given the many (and often bewildering) functions on my current computer I now wonder if it should allow the entry of gear inches (or similar) of a chosen gear so you can get it to calculate your cadence for you. Then again they would probably rather sell you a more expensive model with a sensor.

Cheers

LGC
byegad

Post by byegad »

I very occasionally check my cadence by counting for 20 seconds then multiply by 3. I have a watch strapped to my fairing and the seconds figure is easily visible. I'm not obsessive about cadence but find that the occasional* check keeps me spinning rather than mashing.

*I probably check it once every few weeks.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's a great trick for cadence,you find a gear that your legs are happy with or put another way,when you feel you're "on top of the gear" or "turning it over nicely".
That's your cadence,that is the happiness,the rhythm,for you it doesn't matter about anything else,numbers are meaningless.
The body tells you what it's happy with.
You then find a series of gears that keep you in happiness rhythm whatever the terrain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I couldn't care less what my cadence is. As long as the bike is moving forward and I'm not dying from exhaustion, that's good enough for me :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I use a cheap computer (Magnet on the LH crank, sensor on the dérailleur post (seat post equivalent location) - although I recently borrowed a Garmin as well (sensor on the boom - chainstay equivalent)

They agreed perfectly (as expected), but I like having the check available.

This morning I felt like I was about to stall out and was mashing - but when I glanced down I was still turning over at 90rpm, so I waited a little longer before dropping gears - and dropped at the rear, not the front.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:Here's a great trick for cadence,you find a gear that your legs are happy with or put another way,when you feel you're "on top of the gear" or "turning it over nicely".
That's your cadence,that is the happiness,the rhythm,for you it doesn't matter about anything else,numbers are meaningless.
The body tells you what it's happy with.
You then find a series of gears that keep you in happiness rhythm whatever the terrain.
+1
Exactly right.
Nicely put.
IrishBill76 wrote:I couldn't care less what my cadence is. As long as the bike is moving forward and I'm not dying from exhaustion, that's good enough for me :)
+1 as well. :D

As it happens, I know the number that feels right for me ...... that's 67rpm.
I may not have known or even cared what it was before I knew it, but because I have the equipment now, I do know.

So what?
Dunno, but at least I can say what works for me rather than saying I don't know.
Mick F. Cornwall
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Cadence sensor on my Cateye Strada double wireless, used this computer indoors on some cadence based training dvds over the winter which has given me a better ability to judge my cadence when I'm not using the sensor. My cadence 'sweet spot' is around 85-90.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rode that stupid Raleigh Chopper from JOG to LE a few years ago, and I had it fitted with all my Garmin stuff.

Even that bike had my average cadence for the whole journey at 65rpm.
Dunno why my HR was low from Golspie to Inverness. Maybe the strap wasn't making sufficient contact.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-09-09 at 17.36.51.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

Mick F wrote:Image

Fascinating. It looks as though you were match fit by day seven, and yet you were a frequent cyclist to start with. I'm a bit surprised that physiological changes can occur so rapidly.
It would be interesting to see similar data from a novice cyclist. What would a bum toughness sensor be composed of? With data from that, too, we could suggest how long it would take a beginner to start enjoying cycling.
Grandma

Post by Grandma »

Cadence is the number of times the crank revolves a complete turn taken over a minute.
My old Dad taught me that every one has an individual pedalling comfort zone of so many strokes/minute, and the whole point of using the gears available was to maintain that comfort zone as far as possible. So as you ascend a hill you should try to maintain the same cadence for as long as possible, but obviously your forward speed over over the ground drops. He was doing long distance cycle trips and touring and at 87 is still riding.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't measure cadence. I know that my comfortable cadence is in the neighborhood of 90 - 100 rpm only because a friend occasionally matched my cadence & told me what it was.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

LittleGreyCat wrote: ... wonder if it should allow the entry of gear inches (or similar) of a chosen gear so you can get it to calculate your cadence for you. ...

I may have misunderstood this (I'm not super- interested in bike computers ) but isn't that what shimano flightdeck and campag ergobrain computers were intended to do? Or did I dream that? :shock: :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Grandma wrote:Cadence is the number of times the crank revolves a complete turn taken over a minute.
My old Dad taught me that every one has an individual pedalling comfort zone of so many strokes/minute, and the whole point of using the gears available was to maintain that comfort zone as far as possible. So as you ascend a hill you should try to maintain the same cadence for as long as possible, but obviously your forward speed over over the ground drops. He was doing long distance cycle trips and touring and at 87 is still riding.

Your old Dad is spot on!
W H Auden
karlt

Post by karlt »

Doesn't work for me. I find my "natural" comfortable cadence drops as power requirement increases. Hence I can pedal quite fast going downhill or cruising on the flat, but if I want to get uphill quickly or maintain a high speed on the flat, the way for me is to drop the cadence and work a higher gear.

There are no hard and fast rules.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

karlt wrote:Doesn't work for me. I find my "natural" comfortable cadence drops as power requirement increases. Hence I can pedal quite fast going downhill or cruising on the flat, but if I want to get uphill quickly or maintain a high speed on the flat, the way for me is to drop the cadence and work a higher gear.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Do you ride fixed? :roll:
W H Auden