More visible cycle jersey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Elizabeth_S

More visible cycle jersey

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Dreich weather, without going to the extreme of a multi-coloured fluorescent jersey, anyone can suggest what makes you most visible and doesn't make you look a complete idiot. I mostly ride in rural areas.
Not that I want to wear, or feel that I should have to, but I don't want to get hit. (Although yesterdays near miss would have happened whatever I had been wearing as they did not look! And I was wearing a fluorescent yellow Ron Hill mesh bib with reflective strips at the time.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: More visible cycle jersey

Post by Mick F »

I always like to wear something bright and cheerful without going to the extreme of fluorescent colours. I like red panels and a contrasting band or something.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Jerseys to be seen in:

http://www.primalwear.com

http://www.summitdifferent.co.uk

http://www.foska.com/i-pay-road-tax-roa ... ersey.html

I like colourful stuff, so does my wife. Ninja black cycling clothing is not a good idea in my view.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Thanks for these, I'll have a look through and see what I like and then see what I'll get TOH for Xmas!
I've been using my old running T-shirts, most of those are not bright enough, so I'll use them for hill walking where I don't want to been seen quite so much.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

In Aldi's sale starting on Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... ing-shirt/
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The "Theory of Big" http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html recommends bright solid colours. I favour red or orange.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

In nature, black and yellow stripes mean "warning, I may bite" , ergo, we should look for jerseys that aproximate such patterns. There are yellow jerseys with black panals available, although none with stripes AFAIK. A wasp stripe design by Foska would surely be popular :twisted:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Personally I think pink or orange show up best, it is surprising what colours disappear against a background of foliage and/or overhanging branches. I have seen yellow marshall jackets show up quite poorly against a background of greeny yellow grass and leaves...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

bikepacker wrote:In Aldi's sale starting on Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... ing-shirt/

The yellow long sleeve jerseys they have there are quite good. Good for autumn too as they are relatively thin material. In temperatures <5C I wear two ;)
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

eileithyia wrote:Personally I think pink or orange show up best, it is surprising what colours disappear against a background of foliage and/or overhanging branches. I have seen yellow marshall jackets show up quite poorly against a background of greeny yellow grass and leaves...

I was thinking of pink (though I'm not a girly pink person) orange, too much green around here, fields, trees etc.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Just remember that c.10% of the male population is red/green colour blind -- red, orange and pink are seen as various shades of khaki. I don't know how that works in real life, though, and whether it is significant enough to prefer white or yellow for visibility.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Personally, I always have a decent rear light (and normally also a front) on regardless of time or weather, rather than feeling obliged to dress up like a pack of highlighter pens. If people can't see a rider, a bike and a bright light then I can't imagine a coloured jersey is going to help. YMMV.
Si

Post by Si »

We recently got some pink hi-viz bibs, have to say that they do show up a lot better than that standard yellow ones. I think that there are so many people wearing the yellow ones these days that everyone ignores them anyway.

I would go with the advice already given: solid single colours not patterns that break up your outline, and red, orange or pink.

Of course, in the ideal world it is up to the controller of the larger, faster vehicle to make sure that they are driving in such a way that they will not pose a threat to others...this includes proper observation, thus they should see you whatever colour you wear. But this is not the ideal world, and when the dozy blind eejit runs you down they will probably try to claim contributory negligence because you were wearing blank despite it being perfect visibility.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd prefer to just wear whatever I want to wear at my destination, but my second choice is a council-supplied hi-vis jacket. The Councils that Used to Be Avon gave some out a few years ago. Anyone know if there are any being handed out at the moment?

It seems that council officers can't help but produce something that looks council-ly! I think it creates uncertainty in drivers' minds and so I get a bit more space for cycling, especially if I'm on the back of a group. I wonder if headlines like "Idiot Driver Smashes Into Council Cycling Course" go through their minds or if it's more subtle than that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Given that the Highway Code "advises"

light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light
reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.

I'm astonished that a good many cycling tops produced are in black,it seems to be the new yellow.