What cap do you wear !

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
byegad

Re: What cap do you wear !

Post by byegad »

I always wear a hat of some sort out of doors. So I own several dozen of hats and cycle in about 20 of them at some time of the year. They range from KNOG cycle caps, through broad brimmed hats for wet weather (To keep my hearing aid dry.) to woollen hats for the winter.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

Never been a fan of baseball caps on a(n upright) bike - find that the long peaks mean that either you can't see where you are going, you have to ride with your head tilted up so far that it gives you neck ache, or you have to wear the cap further back on your head, meaning that it is liable to blow off in the wind.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

hondated wrote:Ok we are all aware of the " helmet to wear or not " debate so lets skip that we all have our own views.

Instead can someone tell me of cap or hat that is comfortable to wear whilst cycling during the Autumn and Winter.

Unfortunately cycling specific caps always seem to be too small for me and very unflattering to my appearance.

You could try the CTC one but the price is ridiculous.

For my sins I bought one. My receipt:

Impsport CTC Performance Cycling Cap CY040610761276 1 £10.20 £10.20
Shipping: £6.00
Total: £16.20

They are almost half price anywhere else and they dont rip you off on the postage.

It wouldnt be so bad if the CTC cap wasnt such poor quality. All the other caps I have are far better quality. So why did I buy it. Because I bought one previously from the CTC shop as then was for £2 and yes I'm a sucker for the logo.

On the credit side it's very elasticated and would I think fit almost any head and it is comfortable.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I wear a Buff all year round - in the summer to soak up the sweat and in the winter to keep me warm. When it's really cold I have a Pearl Izumi Skull cap that I wear under my helmet. When it's raining I sometimes wear a traditional cycling cap under my helmet to keep the rain off my glasses.

I also have an old woolly "Look" multi-coloured hat, in the design of the "La Vie Claire" pro team kit.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Si

Post by Si »

ukdodger wrote:You could try the CTC one but the price is ridiculous.

I typed "cycle caps" into google...first four prices it came up with were: £12.59, £7.98, £15.99, £12.34...which seems to suggest that the CTC one is very much in the middle of the pack. It is only that some people are selling off old stock at bargain prices (eg on-one) that makes caps look cheaper than they are.

Quality-wise, the last one that I bought from the CTC was fine and lasted for a number of years despite suffering great abuse. Can't speak for the newer ones.

However I, too, thought that the postage was a bit much.....which is why I went elsewhere and saved my money.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Si wrote:
ukdodger wrote:You could try the CTC one but the price is ridiculous.

I typed "cycle caps" into google...first four prices it came up with were: £12.59, £7.98, £15.99, £12.34...which seems to suggest that the CTC one is very much in the middle of the pack. It is only that some people are selling off old stock at bargain prices (eg on-one) that makes caps look cheaper than they are.

Quality-wise, the last one that I bought from the CTC was fine and lasted for a number of years despite suffering great abuse. Can't speak for the newer ones.

However I, too, thought that the postage was a bit much.....which is why I went elsewhere and saved my money.

Try ebay

I've got several caps all are better quality than both the CTC caps I've had. The first lasted three years and the elastic broke. I thought the new one would be an improvement. I can assure it's not and it will be the last. It's frankly worth around £4.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Buff when its hot, although I am favouring cotton caps due to the peak.

I do have a new giro merino wool cap for winter, so when it gets cold enough will pull it out.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Most of the time I don't use anything, but whe I do I use either a cap similar to this Rohan cap, with a removable sun flap, or a goretex cap similar to this Trekmates cap.

I prefer a longer peak than a normal cycling cap, to keep the rain off my glasses or for extra shade.
Si

Post by Si »

ukdodger wrote:Try ebay

But we are not talking about ebay, we are talking about firms that supply through the traditional channels, thus if we compare like with like the CTC cap is mid priced at worst. If you factor in the fact that it is a special run designed for a specific limited custom base then it seems even cheaper as such runs often have a premium attached.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Si wrote:

But we are not talking about ebay, we are talking about firms that supply through the traditional channels, thus if we compare like with like the CTC cap is mid priced at worst. If you factor in the fact that it is a special run designed for a specific limited custom base then it seems even cheaper as such runs often have a premium attached.

Have it your way Si. I know which side my bread is buttered.
Si

Post by Si »

ukdodger wrote:
Si wrote:

Have it your way Si.

Only calmly and politely pointing out the reality of the situation...no need to feel upset, thus apologises if I have inadvertently made you feel so!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Si wrote:

Try Prendas then - I get a fair bit of stuff from them, all great. £7.50 for a cap, or 4 for £25, and there are a few on there now for under £4. I can particularly recommend their Belgian style winter cap for when it gets cold. The Rapha caps are nice - expensive (of course), but a nice feel, and you get different sizes. They stand up to washing better than most, so long-term aren't bad value.
Si

Post by Si »

AndyB wrote:Try Prendas then - I get a fair bit of stuff from them, all great. £7.50 for a cap, or 4 for £25, and there are a few on there now for under £4. I can particularly recommend their Belgian style winter cap for when it gets cold. The Rapha caps are nice - expensive (of course), but a nice feel, and you get different sizes. They stand up to washing better than most, so long-term aren't bad value.

No need, I went to on-one/planet-X where they were only a couple of quid each. Not CTC caps of course, but they do the job.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Oh I'm not Si. I'm just sad you actually believe it.
Si

Post by Si »

ukdodger wrote:Oh I'm not Si. I'm just sad you actually believe it.

Have it your way UKDodger :lol: