20L backpack comfortable

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

20L backpack comfortable

Post by AlastairS »

I'm looking for a 20L backpack which is comfortable to wear cycling (11miles per day for me) and not too costly. It should have a waist strap and a chest strap.
I would be grateful for your help. Thank you, Alastair
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 20L backpack comfortable

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You want a Ultra / Mountain Marathon rucksack.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Why do you want a backpack, instead of panniers or saddlebag? I know lots of people cycle with backpacks and rucksacks, but if it's comfort you're after, put the load on the bike instead of the back :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rbreid

Post by rbreid »

+1 for on the bike not the back. But if you must carry on your back and cost is a factor then you could do worse than look at the Highlander range. Cheap, well made and rugged. Chest straps can be added to almost any bag by the way. Good luck in your search.
If you wish to give me a resentment, prepare yourself for a disappointment.
Combative, pedantic, bigoted or confrontational posts will be ignored as detrimental to civilised debate.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If it's exclusively for cycling then I seriously recommend looking at on bike storage, unless you are commuting through the woods (yes, I know people who do)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, I already have a pannier rack and pannier on my bike, but thought if I replaced both with a single lightweight pack then perhaps that would be better(as less weight).
Looked at the Highlander packs which look good , but are quite heavy - i'm sure you can get something around 500-600g or lighter 300g (for a sac type bag ).
Alastair
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

+2 for carry on the bike .

My first lengthy tour (4 weeks) way back in 1971 was with a medium size backpack (could not afford anything else) but I still strapped it onto my pannier rack.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AlastairS wrote:Hi, I already have a pannier rack and pannier on my bike, but thought if I replaced both with a single lightweight pack then perhaps that would be better(as less weight).
Looked at the Highlander packs which look good , but are quite heavy - i'm sure you can get something around 500-600g or lighter 300g (for a sac type bag ).
Alastair

unless you are offroad you cannot beat carrying the weight on the bike.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I see plenty of road cyclists with small backpacks.
Could be persuaded to choose a saddle bag - any advice welcome.(like to keep it light)
mjr

Post by mjr »

I wore a backpack for years. Then I tried it on the rack with bungees. It now only goes on my back if the rack is extremely full. Who needs a sweaty back?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AlastairS wrote:I see plenty of road cyclists with small backpacks.
Could be persuaded to choose a saddle bag - any advice welcome.(like to keep it light)

I see plenty of people driving 4x4s, doesn't make it sensible...
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

You chose the wrong place to ask about backpacks I'm afraid. There's a book of rules somewhere and Rule No 1 is 'Thous shalt not wear a backpack'. Just ignore them they're just looking for a fight/someone to lecture, and it's a quiet night on the forum.

To answer your question. I've been riding all summer long with an Osprey pack and I've been pretty impressed with it. This one is about the size you are looking for:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/osp ... k-ec026645

Before the Osprey I used a Deuter pack with their air comfort mesh frame system.

Deuter and Vaude do decent packs. If you have a decathlon then their packs are well worth considering.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

How about a rack pack? You could get one that has fold down pocket panniers, like the Altura Arran Transit, or an expandable one?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I recently bought a very neat Deuter 10 litre back pack for my holiday and although I no longer use back packs on bicycles, if I did I would be very happy with one of these. They come in various sizes and capacity and it would seem they have a specific range for the cyclist: Click.

For a saddle bag I would go for a Carradice and something like a Nelson Longflap would give you 18 litres - in combination with a suitable support for what ever suits your bike/needs would probably weigh just over a kilogram.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I have a Nelson Longflap and an SQR and it swings about like a swingy thing and it still bangs on the back of my thighs!

I have a rack top pack and this is great, but has limited carrying capacity (I can't get my laptop in it). I also use a single pannier but the weight on one side unbalances the bike. I don't carry enough stuff to justify 2 panniers, so i do use a rucksack. Mine's a Hi-Gear, about £20 from Go-Outdoors, well padded and has a waist strap.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev