Waterproof trousers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
westport9

Waterproof trousers

Post by westport9 »

I'm planning a tour soon and while my training has been in dry conditions, I need to prepare for the british weather.

I have a goretex rain jacket but no idea what to wear on my legs - in the past i have just got wet and accepted it - is that what everyone else does or is there some waterproofs that can be recommended
daveawood

Post by daveawood »

Altura make excellent waterproof trousers which fit properly, keep water out and breathe resonably well but they are a bit dear and might not fold up as small as you'd like for touring. I guess rainlegs as featured in Cycle are another possibility but i've never tried them.
Dave
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Tried over trousers for work a few years back and found I overheated on a mere 9 mile ride, could not contemplate wearing them for a seriously long day in the saddle. Have never tried rain legs which might be a better alternative, these days just get wet, often it does not rain continuously hard all day and leg coverings dry out remarkable quickly once it stops or eases off. My current leg winter leg attire dries quite quickly over the day when I am at work.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you don't mind a camo pattern Army issue Gortex trousers can be bought new for under £30 from surplus outlets. They're well made, breathable and, obvioulsy, designed to let the wearer move easily.

The old fashioned cycling cape did a good job of keeping most of you dry and allowed air to circulate freely. I used them for years cycling to school and when I joined a club in 1970 they were common on club runs. Wonder if they're still available?
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

My personal opinion towards waterproof overtrousers is they never worked in my favour on tours. The only time I wear overtrousers is going to work if it's raining.

When touring, I may take a pair of Ronhill Trackster DXB's. I also carry get a pair of Lycra tights which are very close fitting and dry out very quickly, roll up very small. Much better than overtrousers I think.
glueman

Post by glueman »

There's a place for overtrousers, but only when it's hammering it down and you need the warmth as well as the dryness. Otherwise the sweat factor takes away the point. A pair live in my Carradice in winter for emergencies.

Capes and So'westers were great but belong to a bygone age of singing kettles and four-abreast CTC runs. Sprinting through urban traffic in a yellow cape might conjour the odd comment.
diapason

Post by diapason »

Carradice still make a trad cape :shock:

I've got a pair of Berghaus goretex trousers. They're warm and waterproof, but are a bit wide for riding and need a trouser clip :oops: They also direct the water straight into my shoes which get wet even with overshoes. I tend to wear biblongs for some warmth and change when I arrive at work. I might try a pair of the Lusso (or similar) "waterproof" leggings this winter.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
pete75

Post by pete75 »

glueman wrote:Capes and So'westers were great but belong to a bygone age of singing kettles and four-abreast CTC runs. Sprinting through urban traffic in a yellow cape might conjour the odd comment.

Glueman that's quite an appealing picture you paint of sprinting through urban traffic in a cape.

Must admit I know little of cycling in large cities. I don't like them and rarely visit them. It ain't natural for people to be crammed together like sheep in a pen.

I suppose the real answer to the overtrousers question is how uncomfortable do you feel with wet legs.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

Look at www.rainlegs.co.uk. Many happy users.
PW

Post by PW »

RonHill Bikesters with the DXB coating, and a pair of Rainlegs if it's really bad. I sometimes use a cape if there's a vertical downpour, but not in high winds or if I'm likely to encounter heavy lorries.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
georgew

Post by georgew »

I've never been happy with waterproof trousers because of the sweat factor but I do like my "Rainlegs". They are light, pack to nothing at all and do keep your legs dry. The fact that they make me look like a refugee from the chorus line of the London Palladium lends a little savour to the whole experience.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Have a cape, have overtrousers, niether are very good as you just sweat buckets and end up getting wet, haven't tried the rain legs though.. Now if you want recommendations on capes.......Mick's yer man!!
May the wind always be at your rear!
byegad

Post by byegad »

Another vote for rainlegs here. Good for short sharp showers like you tend to get at the end of a hot sunny day. Not so good for January style persistent p***ing down.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My contribution.............

I use rainlegs for commuting, but I have a pair of Goretex PAclite trousers for touring.

I find they are invaluable for those whole wet days when there is no relenting in the weather and the protection form cold and the "chill" from drying leggings is a problem.
james01

Post by james01 »

What about shorts? Unless you're touring in very cold weather, wet skin is much easier to deal with than wet clothing, and feels a lot less unpleasant. After all, lots of women, (and some Scotsmen), go about their daily business all year round with bare knees.