Settle and Carlisle - cheap train tickets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
awparker

Settle and Carlisle - cheap train tickets

Post by awparker »

I realise this may be of limited us to those who do not live in West Yorkshire but it seems to have received little publicity. Details on:

http://www.wymetro.com/news/Special_%C2 ... c_railway/

Essentially if you have a West Yorkshire bus pass you can get a day return for £11 on the Leeds/Settle/Carlisle/Morecambe railways and can get off at one station and return from any other. I have used the offer on previous years for a good cycle ride and found the train guards very helpful in accommodating more than the standard 2 bikes.

Alan (enjoying the "desolate North")
John in Leeds

Re: Settle and Carlisle - cheap train tickets

Post by John in Leeds »

Thanks for the tip :)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have a Lancashire bus pass but I don't think that will allow me a free train ride. :(
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

If you're in the right part of Lancashire and use the train several times a year it can be worth getting the dales railcard: http://www.scrdc.co.uk/dales-railcard/
Valid Postcodes
CA 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17
DL 8, 11, 12
LA 2, 5, 6, 10
BD 23, 24
BB 7
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Adam S wrote:If you're in the right part of Lancashire and use the train several times a year it can be worth getting the dales railcard: http://www.scrdc.co.uk/dales-railcard/
Valid Postcodes
CA 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17. DL 8, 11, 12. LA 2, 5, 6, 10. BD 23, 24. BB 7

No such luck but thankyou for the info'.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

This offer has been made for several years, and has been very popular. It's always been well advertised previously, and I think it's a West Yorks PTE thing. I've used it two or three times every year - not to take my bike as it happens, but to visit Carlisle. Each year the trains have been busier than the last one and maybe the trains are just too full to continue with the offer.

There have been several offers down the years since the Settle and Carlisle was saved, obviously to boost trade, and they've been very successful. The last time I was on the train - early this year - it was very busy and at the time commuters were coming home from Carlisle. Seating was at a premium.

Mu guess is that, unless the government release more rolling stock, the offers will not be repeated next year.

A great pity. The staff on the trains are usually beyond reproach.