cold sweat

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tigerbiten

Re: cold sweat

Post by Tigerbiten »

I suffer badly from cold sweat on a ride due to the fact I ride a recumbent and I'm missing my left arm.
So I have a lot less surface area to loose heat through, so suffer badly from overheating on hill climbs.
I use one of two options to cope with it.
Either a wicking base layer on my top, so my skin stays dry but the top layers get damp, especially my back.
Or if very cold, a waterproof base layer.
My skin is damp but the top layers stay dry, hence I'm warmer as I suffer less from windchill.

The second option is not a comfortable as the first but it does work.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I wear a merino base, a s/s jersey, and a l/s winter jersey, with a Goretex windstopper gillet (fleece only rear) over the top. That does me down to zero. If colder, I have an old '90s thermal jacket I use, with a base layer and a s/s jersey under. Also carry a rain jacket, which can form a windproof barrier if it gets really cold as well
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Found it worse when I piloted tandem with child stoker, used to sweat buckets uphill and freeze downhill no matter what I wore.... When I go out I never use a windproof/waterproof jacket unless I absolutely have to as far too sweaty, just whatever layers I feel are appropriate, always carry a spare vest to change into when I stop at cafe's and have my waterproof to put on for those unprecedented stops to help prevent excessive chilling..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

I've asked Santa for something similar to a Dhb windslam, which is a long sleeved Jersey with a wind proof front with some zipped vents, and a normal Jersey's back. My thinking being that a base layer (plus Jersey or 2 in really cold conditions) plus that should make me wind proof enough on descents to stop the sweat evaporating too quickly
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

I don't think there is a solution to this one apart from cycling more slowly; my theory is that water vapour driven off the skin by body heat condenses in the outer layers of clothing when the weather is cool and humidity is high. It is a particular problem in areas where there is less direct air flow (on your back for example). I have tried all sorts of wicking base layers but still end up with a damp back at the end of my commute (maybe best not to dwell too much on that personal revelation........)
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

I've just bought one of these http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/ride/mtb/ja ... ll-180-jkt I thin layer underneath and I was just about warm enough for a hilly sixteen mile ride last night in five degrees. By the time I returned home I was getting a bit chilly and soaked to the skin in sweat. Waste of money really :roll:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

3 layer is the secret first layer should wick the Sweat away quickly second layer Should move the sweat away from the body. The outer layer should not be totally waterproof as it needs to tlet the water vapour out . I do between 10 and 14 miles to work everyday at a fairly brisk pace, my clothing will be damp from sweat but still comfortable.
Wicking base layer
Funkier long sleeve top
Gillet with Shower proof front or Gortex jacket for the wetter/ colderdays
Goves hats tights and socks need to be chosen for the appropriate conditions.
come to think of it I don't do anything different for club rides.

If you stop at this time of year you can cool quite rapidly So put layers on when you stop.
NUKe

Post by 531colin »

Dave W wrote:I've just bought one of these http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/ride/mtb/ja ... ll-180-jkt I thin layer underneath and I was just about warm enough for a hilly sixteen mile ride last night in five degrees. By the time I returned home I was getting a bit chilly and soaked to the skin in sweat. Waste of money really :roll:

Maybe that should read soaked from the skin in sweat.........? :wink:
Sounds like a windproof front jacket...?
It has to be much colder than this for me to be able to wear my wind-front jacket......I'm better off with 2 or 3 layers that aren't wind proof at all....I tend to start with a thin thermal vest, a jersey, and a full length zipped jersey, often one comes off at some stage.
Always a windproof in the bag, though.
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

I got my dhb windslam blade and can't recommend it highly enough! My old problem used to be that I would layer up enough to be the right temperature most of the time, but if I hit I climb I would sweat up and then chill right through on the descent.
The windproofing on the front is good enough that I can wear it with just a base layer underneath. On climbs I can unzip a bit if necessary, but because I'm only in 2 layers its ok because you lose that heat quickly, and on descents I'm fine. I did a ride in -2 with it on and was spot on temp-wise, I think half windproofing and only a couple of layers is the way to go!
michael42

Post by michael42 »

Dave W wrote:How do you combat cold sweat? Today I cycled with an Aldi baselayer and a branded breathable cycling jersey. At the first stop I could feel the sweat running down my back, One of our group got a puncture and stopped for at least half an hour (don't ask :roll: ). By now I was really cold and likewise at the end of a ride I was freezing after sitting indoors for coffee.

How do you regulate your heat?

This time of year? I don't go out if the BBC site says it's less than 6°c.
I'm solar powered anyway my times in the the winter just fall to a crawl and when I get cold it's usually my hands and feet and there's nothing
I can do to get them warm - gloves and socks don't really help. And the pain when I get back and the blood returns to them is awful.

Occasionally though that will mean I haven't cycled for ages (because of that) and then I'll probably try a ride, but I usually regret it.

I wouldn't stop for someone to repair a puncture though. If I was with someone who got a puncture I'd carry on at a slower pace for a few minutes then turn around and go back.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I wear several layers and add and remove them as necessary. I always carry at least one extra layer, usually a pretty warm one, in case I get stuck somewhere with a mechanical or puncture.

Once I am warmed up, I usually remove a layer off my top, then put it back on when I stop, unless I'm going inside.

My layers for freezing weather are:
thick wool socks & winter walking boots
bib tights + themal tights
base top + winter jersey (with windstopper material on front & arms, but normal thermal lycra material on sides, underarms and back) + cycling jacket (waterproof if wet)
wooly liners + winter gloves
merino buff + fleece skull cap + helmet

My extra layer is a merino jumper and a pair of lined, shower proof trousers. I also carry some ski mittens, a fleece balaclava, and a spare pair of socks.

I usually find that once I'm warmed up, though a base layer & winter cycling jersey are enough on top. When it's wet out, I sometimes remove the winter jersey between the base layer and the water proof.

If it's wet and cold, and I'm going far enough for a workout, I don't know if there is a good way to stay dry. I know that some people manage it, but I sweat buckets, so I either get wet from the inside, or the outside so I've long since given up on staying dry, and focus on staying warm. That usually means that if it's cold, at least one of my layers is wool. Wool keeps one warm, even when it's wet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Dave W wrote:How do you combat cold sweat? Today I cycled with an Aldi baselayer and a branded breathable cycling jersey. At the first stop I could feel the sweat running down my back, One of our group got a puncture and stopped for at least half an hour (don't ask :roll: ). By now I was really cold and likewise at the end of a ride I was freezing after sitting indoors for coffee.

How do you regulate your heat?

I wear a vest.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I wear several layers and add and remove them as necessary. I always carry at least one extra layer, usually a pretty warm one, in case I get stuck somewhere with a mechanical or puncture.

Once I am warmed up, I usually remove a layer off my top, then put it back on when I stop, unless I'm going inside...........

Last Friday on an exposed bridleway I punctured(4th one this year :shock: ).
A Hawthorn twig with a few thorns on it,two of which did the dirty deed and I cursed not seeing it :evil: it was 6deg with a 12mph cold wind.I reckon with the wind chill the temp was around 0deg.
I was wearing four layers,two pair of socks and thermal overshoes,the puncture came just after a mile long climb that I'd deliberately taken easy so I wouldn't sweat(if you're a lady that means perspire) too much,as soon as I stopped I put my waterproof on against the wind and replaced my gloves with Marigolds to change the tube,by the time I'd got the wheel out(rear nach :roll: ) and the tyre off I could hardly feel my fingers and particularly my thumbs,by the time I'd finished I was feeling very cold,brrrr.
With the repair completed,which took about 20minutes,I had to drop the hammer for ten miles still wearing my w/proof,to get warm again,thankfully with a tailwind.
I headed for the nearest cafe had a cake,a big strong coffee,and strew it's radiators with damp clothing!(lady who works there is quite friendly and is an alround good bod :) plus I was the only one in there at 3.30pm).
It was 1/2 an hour before I felt like moving again and I felt drained after the 20mile remaining ride home,to complete a 62 mile ride that would've been pleasent enough without the unscheduled stop.
Reflecting on the ride later I recalled seeing at least 6or7 other cyclists with just small seatpacks,no mudguards(there were some very mucky lanes in the area),none of which seemed to be carrying extra layers in their pockets :? .
I shudder to think how cold they'd get in a similar situation it ain't fun getting cold in those conditions.
Don't get caught out!
BTW I always carry three spare tubes at this time of year.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I wear several layers and add and remove them as necessary. I always carry at least one extra layer, usually a pretty warm one, in case I get stuck somewhere with a mechanical or puncture.

Once I am warmed up, I usually remove a layer off my top, then put it back on when I stop, unless I'm going inside...........

Last Friday on an exposed bridleway I punctured(4th one this year :shock: ).
A Hawthorn twig with a few thorns on it,two of which did the dirty deed and I cursed not seeing it :evil: it was 6deg with a 12mph cold wind.I reckon with the wind chill the temp was around 0deg.
I was wearing four layers,two pair of socks and thermal overshoes,the puncture came just after a mile long climb that I'd deliberately taken easy so I wouldn't sweat(if you're a lady that means perspire) too much,as soon as I stopped I put my waterproof on against the wind and replaced my gloves with Marigolds to change the tube,by the time I'd got the wheel out(rear nach :roll: ) and the tyre off I could hardly feel my fingers and particularly my thumbs,by the time I'd finished I was feeling very cold,brrrr.
With the repair completed,which took about 20minutes,I had to drop the hammer for ten miles still wearing my w/proof,to get warm again,thankfully with a tailwind.
I headed for the nearest cafe had a cake,a big strong coffee,and strew it's radiators with damp clothing!(lady who works there is quite friendly and is an alround good bod :) plus I was the only one in there at 3.30pm).
It was 1/2 an hour before I felt like moving again and I felt drained after the 20mile remaining ride home,to complete a 62 mile ride that would've been pleasent enough without the unscheduled stop.
Reflecting on the ride later I recalled seeing at least 6or7 other cyclists with just small seatpacks,no mudguards(there were some very mucky lanes in the area),none of which seemed to be carrying extra layers in their pockets :? .
I shudder to think how cold they'd get in a similar situation it ain't fun getting cold in those conditions.
Don't get caught out!
BTW I always carry three spare tubes at this time of year.

I was nearly in tears at the end of that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ukdodger wrote:I was nearly in tears at the end of that.

How do you think I felt! :cry: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden