Thin cable cycle locks...........

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
squeaker

Re: Thin cable cycle locks...........

Post by squeaker »

Mick F wrote:I've got one of these that goes with me all the time just in case I need it.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/squ ... wgodHW0AAw
Although I've used it lots of times, I've never had a situation where someone wanted to cut it.
No doubt it deters a casual walk-by thief.
+1. Used in similar situations to OP's.
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mark1978 wrote:Any tips for securing a cable lock to the frame and not having it fall sideways, rub against your leg or otherwise get in the way all the time?

I put mine around the sporting clip on my rear rack and put the bungee over to stop it rattling. Both of my locks came with annoying brackets.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

squeaker wrote:
Mick F wrote:I've got one of these that goes with me all the time just in case I need it.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/squ ... wgodHW0AAw
Although I've used it lots of times, I've never had a situation where someone wanted to cut it.
No doubt it deters a casual walk-by thief.
+1. Used in similar situations to OP's.
I think they are quite good, and no doubt a decent pair of sidecutters would get through, the average walk-by tealeaf wouldn't have a pair. If mine was defective in some way, I'd take a pair of cutters to it to see how tough the spiral-wound SS wire is.

I also do not believe a good tug would open it. The lock has a good device - if you partially connect it, you can press the button and the excess wire is taken back inside, then you click the end fully home. Like that, you wouldn't be able to get enough purchase to give it a quick tug.

As I said, it is only a deterrent. I wouldn't even think about leaving my bike out of sight with only that as security. It's great for popping into the bank or a shop or a cafe, where I'd park Bike where I could see it. The lock would only stop someone walking away with it.

Brucey wrote:they are all rubbish if someone attacks them with even the most feeble tools.
I don't think that's a helpful statement. Mine wouldn't be broken/cut with feeble tools, but I suppose you need to define what you mean by "feeble".
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote: ....no doubt a decent pair of sidecutters would get through, the average walk-by tealeaf wouldn't have a pair......

Brucey wrote:...they are all rubbish if someone attacks them with even the most feeble tools....
I don't think that's a helpful statement. Mine wouldn't be broken/cut with feeble tools, but I suppose you need to define what you mean by "feeble".

I think you have pretty well answered that for yourself. Locks of any kind work against the pure opportunist but such tools as side cutters etc are exactly the kind of thing that some crims habitually have in their pockets. When crims can buy minature bolt croppers in the pound shop, no thin cable lock is secure...

I once disturbed a would-be burglar at the back of my house one evening; I didn't know it at the time, but I went outside to investigate and I didn't see anyone, but I'd been sure there was someone outside moments earlier. The following day some spurious tools were found beneath a neighbour's wheelie bin; I think the thief had ditched them rather than risk being accosted 'equipped to steal'. The thing that surprised me was that the tools required for a break-in were evidently not much.

I similarly think that most cheap bike locks can be defeated easily by someone who has done it before. I would assume that a professional tea leaf might carry a cordless angle grinder these days, and no bike lock of any kind will resist that for more than about 30s I think.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, all wise words, and we've been down this route many times on here.

Locks buy you time.
The more you spend in money, the more time you buy.

A thin wire lock costing a tenner(?) or less won't buy you much time.
As I said, I wouldn't leave my bike with that Squire unit I sometimes use unattended.
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/32582/Squir ... tAodQH8A1A

If I left Bike against a wall near a cafe stop, and a chap/chapess walked by and just quietly wheeled it away, I may not notice.
If I left Bike against a wall near a cafe stop, and a chap/chapess walked by and had to spend a minute to fiddle with the lock, I probably would notice.

If I left Bike against a wall near a cafe stop, and a chap/chapess walked by fully equipped with a decent pair of sidecutters, he/she would be away in a jiffy.

It's all a gamble.
Be aware, be VERY aware.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you are right of course.

BTW have you heard of the '40lb rule' ?

The idea is that in cities you can have a clunker and a cheap lock, or a lightweight bike and an expensive lock (or two).

Either way the whole shooting match weighs about 40lbs.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If there isn't a safe place to lock up my bike, I take my bike in with me. If I am challenged, I explain just why my bike is with me. If they won't let me in with it, and can't tell me where I can lock it up securely, it depends how much I want to shop there. There are a few places that I don't shop because I can't take my bike in or lock it up. There area also a few places where I lock my bike up somewhere else and walk so that I can leave it reasonably secure.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
boris

Post by boris »

I also do not believe a good tug would open it.

I can assure you it will, definitely, having seen it done and then come home and done it to mine. You should do it to yours now before someone else does and you lose your bike. I bet anyone with an interest in nicking things knows this.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have one of these thin retractable cable locks. I carry it with me on my lightweight bike and use it purely for short pops into shops to buy something or for a quick dash into a garage for a coffee. I would not leave it locked like that for any extended time. If I am likely to go in anywhere for lunch etc. then I use a thicker cable lock with key. Still not perfect but at least if buys time, as someone said up thread.

I am not sure about taking the bike into shops and other establishments. I think it is perfectly reasonable for the premises owner to say no and is under no obligation to provide you with somewhere to secure your bike just as he is not under any obligation to provide you with anywhere to park your car. Some do but only because they think it is good for business. After all, if you took your car into a dodgy areas, would wouldn't expect to be allowed to take it into the pub with you, would you? The best thing to do is not to leave your bike anywhere but that precludes going shopping on the bike, which I believe many do.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine will definitely NOT open with good tug.

Just tried it, and it hurts!

You need to set the combination to lock it, then spin the numbers.
If you do that properly - with mine at least - it cannot be tugged open by hand. Possibly a heavily gloved hand could do it, but not bare hands.

----------------------------------------

PS:
Although I couldn't tug it open, I can't even open it properly now!
I've damaged it! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Ray

Post by Ray »

Mick F wrote:PS:
Although I couldn't tug it open, I can't even open it properly now!
I've damaged it! :oops:

You should always be very circumspect about taking advice given on this forum, however well-meaning. After all, there are some people who would think twice about taking yours :wink: :lol:

I had a similar lock jam once - see upthread - what you need is a builder with a club hammer and a blunt chisel.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The "good" think about this, is that if a would-be thief had given it a tug unbeknown to me, I wouldn't be able to release the lock!
Now I know this shortcoming, I may not use it again even though I may be able to fix it.

I'll have a fiddle with it later, and report back.
Mick F. Cornwall
K.S.G.

Post by K.S.G. »

I have no faith in cable locks except for short stops where my bike is not out of sight for more than a minute or two, if that. The combination locks that are available now do seem more secure than the older ones which could be confounded by a simple wiggle of the barrel but still a stout hammer will usually get through them with a couple of blows.

I'd use one if I was popping into a shop or cafe but that's about it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:The "good" think about this, is that if a would-be thief had given it a tug unbeknown to me, I wouldn't be able to release the lock!
Now I know this shortcoming, I may not use it again even though I may be able to fix it.

I'll have a fiddle with it later, and report back.
I've managed to open it.
I've given it a good dowsing with WD40 but it is now difficult to release. It opens ok, but needs a tug.

It should pop open at the press of the button, but it won't do it now. There doesn't seem to be a way to get inside it as it's bonded rather than screwed. I'll continue to tinker, but I'm not confident.

As I said, this is a "good" thing as it's shown up a huge flaw in the design that could have caught me out.
Mick F. Cornwall