Cleats - whats that about then?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jimmy M

Re: Cleats - whats that about then?

Post by jimmy M »

skicat wrote:This thread has been really useful. After 40-odd years of casual cycling with nothing but flat pedals, I am intending to try some multi-day touring next year and have been wondering about cleats. I've now decided to take the plunge and get some single sided Shimanos. This thread helped the decision process enormously :) .
That's another thing on the Christmas list then.

wow you've got to love the internet :D I posted a question and in a day or so have learned as much about cleats as is possible without actually trying them. Thanks everyone who's contributed. I think I'm going to stick with what I'm used to (toe clips) for the time being, mainly because I already have them and I often need to work all day in the shoes that I have ridden to work in. But for the touring I'm planning for the summer.... well maybe :wink:
thanks people :)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:The advantage of cleats in traffic is that with one foot attached to the pedal, it is easy to bring the pedals to starting position..........

.............I'm not wanting to get into a clipless Vs clips and straps debate - each to his/her own - but it's just as easy to do that with clips and straps.

My reasons for not changing to clipless are : 1). that I can't be bothered , and 2). the expense of changing the pedals on all my bikes and buying the new shoes; one needs at least two pairs. Disengaging foot from pedals, whichever system is used, becomes a second-nature, automatic action but different systems on different bikes could be dangerous - my opinion is that all one's bikes should be the same in this respect.

One thing that has surprised me about this thread is that there is not universal liking for the clipless.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

JohnW wrote:One thing that has surprised me about this thread is that there is not universal liking for the clipless.

That doesn't surprise me - there's a lot of resistance to new-fangled technologies on this forum. STI, carbon, clipless, etc, etc.

However if you look at the number of people that have given clipless a serious go, I get the impression that the number that subsequently return to alternatives is really quite low.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

MartinC wrote:
Si wrote:It's so simple, as you come to stop, revolve your pedals so they are at 2 o'clock, then the moment you stop put one foot down, thus leaving your other foot on the pedal at 2o'clock and ready to go. Why make it any more complicated?

Yes, in ideal circumstances this is what anyone with any sense does. In traffic circumstances are often less than ideal though and you have to stop and start unexpectedly. The classic irritation is the queue of traffic that's inching forward - the routine you describe only works if you're pedalling continuously when you need to stop.

Yes often see those idiots at traffic lights with clipless doing balancing acts or riding around in small circles while waiting for the light to change.
Si

Post by Si »

mercalia wrote:
MartinC wrote:
Si wrote:It's so simple, as you come to stop, revolve your pedals so they are at 2 o'clock, then the moment you stop put one foot down, thus leaving your other foot on the pedal at 2o'clock and ready to go. Why make it any more complicated?

Yes, in ideal circumstances this is what anyone with any sense does. In traffic circumstances are often less than ideal though and you have to stop and start unexpectedly. The classic irritation is the queue of traffic that's inching forward - the routine you describe only works if you're pedalling continuously when you need to stop.

Yes often see those idiots at traffic lights with clipless doing balancing acts or riding around in small circles while waiting for the light to change.

Just because someone is able to do a track stand, it doesn't mean that they are an idiot, rather it means that they have a little more skill than some others at bike handling.

As for people riding around in small circles at traffic lights, well that's something I've never seen - must be a custom native to your locale.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

rfryer wrote:
JohnW wrote:One thing that has surprised me about this thread is that there is not universal liking for the clipless.

That doesn't surprise me - there's a lot of resistance to new-fangled technologies on this forum. STI, carbon, clipless, etc, etc.

However if you look at the number of people that have given clipless a serious go, I get the impression that the number that subsequently return to alternatives is really quite low.

Just because something is new and fashionable doesn't make it right either. I have one bike with and one bike without. yes for going fast they are the bees knees so to speak. But for round town and short journeys and slowish touring, the disadvantages start to out weigh the advantages.
NUKe

Post by easyroller »

I was a long time anti-clipless pedal person ..... until I gave them a good go!

On my road bike I wouldn't have it any other way. I went from flats, to toe clips, to double sided SPD's and now have single sided A520 SPD's on my roadie. On my hybrid I have flat/SPD combo pedals so I can choose to wear normal shoes if I'm just nipping down to the shops. I prefer SPD's rather than the road orientated SPD-SL's as I like to be able to walk in my shoes too!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:
skicat wrote:This thread has been really useful. After 40-odd years of casual cycling with nothing but flat pedals, I am intending to try some multi-day touring next year and have been wondering about cleats. I've now decided to take the plunge and get some single sided Shimanos. This thread helped the decision process enormously :) .
That's another thing on the Christmas list then.

If you're meaning MTB type SPD's,can I suggest you buy double sided ones such as M520's,you'll find them much easier to clip into.
IME single sided are more trouble than they're worth,those that use them will cry foul but I've tried both,no contest :)

I use both double sided and single sided ones. The trick with the single sided ones is making sure that the bearings are adjusted and lubricated properly. If you do this then they always hang at the same angle, which allows easy clipping in to the SPD (using a forwards motion), or a flip backwards to use the flat side.

There is a fly in the ointment however; the PD-M324 bearings are of a kind that need a special tool to allow adjustment.

Despite this the single sided pedals are a good introduction to the SPD. A double sided pedal can be a slight baptism of fire for some, and others like to be able to use ordinary shoes at times.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 10 Dec 2013, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I still can't make up my mind about SPD type pedals. I've tried various makes and models and found that my feet hurt after a while. I have been using toe-clips and straps on my road bike and half toe-clips without straps on my folder. However, having collected a box full of SPD type pedals - that cost a lot of money - plus the shoes to match, I'm giving them another go. My Bianchi road bike has Time single sided "clipless" pedals and my folder now sports Shimano single sided treking pedals with built in reflectors. My theory being that I will use the flat side of the pedal in town and flip the pedal over and clip in for long country rides. As the shoe cleat is recessed I can still use the shoes on the flat side of the pedal. Wearing shoes with holes in their soles seems very odd so I've stuck Gaffer tape over the cleat opening under the insoles.

I've never had problems clipping in or out but I've never felt comfortable either. I also think cycling can become just too complicated. Anyone new to the cycling world may think they have to have all the bells and whistles to ride - i.e.; H*l**t, padded mitts, Lycra, tights or bib shorts, funny pedals and shoes and wrap around sun glasses. What ever happened to just getting on your bike and going for a ride?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Brucey wrote:..........I use both double sided and single sided ones.........................

Is there a terminology difference here? I call pedals with a binding on both sides (e.g. M520) double sided ('cos they have double bindings and pedals like A520's, A530's, M324's etc. single sided ('cos they only have a single binding). Is this another car up/down debate?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mark1978 wrote:...Heavy as hell...

Less than 100g a pair extra (507g v 420g quoted weight) - how many people will notice the difference?

...and £26.99 as opposed to £15.49 for a set of M520s.

Yes an extra £10. but they work as flat pedals as well as double sided SPDs if that is what you want. Could you buy a pair of M520s & some decent flat pedals for that money?

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MartinC wrote:.....Is this another car up/down debate?...

no, it is just a mild attack of reverse polarity brain fade..... :oops: :roll:

I've edited my earlier post so it makes sense now....thanks for pointing it out.

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:I use both double sided and single sided ones. The trick with the single sided ones is making sure that the bearings are adjusted and lubricated properly. If you do this then they always hang at the same angle, which allows easy clipping in to the SPD (using a forwards motion), or a flip backwards to use the flat side.

There is a fly in the ointment however; the PD-M324 bearings are of a kind that need a special tool to allow adjustment.

Despite this the single sided pedals are a good introduction to the SPD. A double sided pedal can be a slight baptism of fire for some, and others like to be able to use ordinary shoes at times.

cheers

I take your point but for me double sided are far easier to get clipped into IMO,I've tried two types one of which was M324's the other was A340(?).I also tried the LOOK system years ago which were awful from a practical POV .
And as I've said before if I'm going out on the bike it's as easy to reach for touring shoes(easy for walking in as well as riding in) as it is to reach for a ordinary shoes.
Obviously other people have other other ideas and experiences I can only give mine.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't know how unusual my useage is, but I quite often ride just a few miles to nip into town to go to the shops or something. Whilst I don't mind using SPD shoes and pedals for this (in that I am perfectly comfortable) I do get some funny looks if I wear them with my street clothes. Also, if I do walk very far in my SPDs, the sole of the shoe wears slightly, and then my cleat is touching the floor in shops, libraries etc.; this can make a little noise, plus I would hate to slip or perhaps damage someone's flooring.

For a while I did have a double-sided pedal on a bike I would otherwise use for nipping in to town on, and I found that I used it less than when it had single sided pedals on. I used to have clips and straps on the same kind of bike and I found that they would mark up smart shoes somewhat, where with the single sided SPD pedals I have at present (which are not shimano ones and have a somewhat passive part-rubber flat side) this doesn't happen.

In any event to what extent I'm governed by practicality and to what extent it is just habituation I couldn't say. It does seem clear that any one scheme won't suit everyone and/or every bike though....

cheers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:......... It does seem clear that any one scheme won't suit everyone and/or every bike though....

cheers

That'll be about right IMO :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden