Panracer Pasella - Opinions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dynamite_funk

Panracer Pasella - Opinions

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Hello everyone. I'm considering a pair of these for some light touring and another pair for heavier touring with full pannier set and potentially a tent in 700x25 and 700x32 respectively. Does anyone have any long term views on these tyres? Sidewall blow out issues? Tread 'grippiness'? Puncture protection?

The main reason is vanity Im afraid, I love the cream sidewalls which woudl suit my newly refurbed 70s tourer down to the ground. If anyone has any other recommendations with this feature I would love to hear them :mrgreen:

Cheers

Ian
tatanab

Re: Panracer Pasella - Opinions

Post by tatanab »

I've used them in 25 and 28 for general purpose and for cycle camping. No problems with vulnerability to failure or lack of grip.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

There's plenty of opinion on them here. There are other threads on these tyres, although you need to put the correct spelling into the search box to get the best results.

I love the look of tan side walls too, but they won't stay like that for long, if wet riding. And they'll never scrub up clean once stained. In fact, don't scrub the side walls, if you want them to stay intact.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

I bought a pair of 32s for my summer tour this year. Did 600 miles on them. When I went to inflate the tyre after the flight the sidewall had blown out on the rear. I can't say this wasn't damage caused on the flight but given other reports of blowouts I would use these again.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I like mine. They're comfortable (32mm) and I too like the colour. Easy to get on an off the rims (the Kevlar model at least).
BigG

Post by BigG »

MickTheCyclist wrote:I bought a pair of 32s for my summer tour this year. Did 600 miles on them. When I went to inflate the tyre after the flight the sidewall had blown out on the rear. I can't say this wasn't damage caused on the flight but given other reports of blowouts I would use these again.

Tyres should always be partially deflated before flying to compensate for the lower outside pressure. However, this should not be enough to blow the sidewall unless the tyre was already at near to its maximum pressure. Michelin (and no doubt others) used to test their tyres to double the maximum static rating to confirm an adequate safety margin to allow for wear and tear and minor physical damage.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

BigG wrote:
MickTheCyclist wrote:I bought a pair of 32s for my summer tour this year. Did 600 miles on them. When I went to inflate the tyre after the flight the sidewall had blown out on the rear. I can't say this wasn't damage caused on the flight but given other reports of blowouts I would use these again.

Tyres should always be partially deflated before flying to compensate for the lower outside pressure. However, this should not be enough to blow the sidewall unless the tyre was already at near to its maximum pressure. Michelin (and no doubt others) used to test their tyres to double the maximum static rating to confirm an adequate safety margin to allow for wear and tear and minor physical damage.

The tyres were deflated for the flight. It was when started to inflate them after I got home I noticed the rear had a blowout.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I had a pair on the bike when I first bought it. I think I punctured twice in the first week and then on a monthly basis. They do ride well, but my experience put me off for good. I changed to Gatorskins which haven't punctured in over three years, and I think they look pretty nifty too.
boblo

Post by boblo »

I've done 10's of thousands of miles on tandems and solos. One word....brilliant. :-)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Nice ride, looks great, lasted 250miles then sidewall went. But that was 2006 so may have improved.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Best touring tyres ever. Make sure your brake blocks dont rub when fully loaded.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've found that the sidewalls are not very damage resistant. They are fine if it's just the tread that makes contact - i.e. you don't scuff them against kerbs or get involved with rocky tracks.
keithg

Post by keithg »

Another vote in favour esp the tourguard version.
I have a pair of 1.75" MTB size on my Surly LHT, no problems so far and they are very grippy on roads and cope with most off road bike tracks.
I've found them comfortable (they should be at that size) too and reliable.
Recommended
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

BigG wrote:Tyres should always be partially deflated before flying to compensate for the lower outside pressure.

If you put the fully inflated tyre in a perfect vacuum the effective pressure in it will have gone up 15psi - why do you need to compensate for something even less than that?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I've always found Pasela's to be comfortable and efficient tyres. In my experience though the carcasses aren't very robust compared with something like a Marathon. Horses for courses.