Saddle Bags

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Saddle Bags

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, I have a pannier and pannier rack on my bike.
I would like to know what owners of saddle bags think of them -p pros and cons.
Thank you.
tatanab

Re: Saddle Bags

Post by tatanab »

Depends on the purpose. For my taste saddlebags win

Panniers are fine for stuffing things into like shopping, so may suit a day commuter. Saddlebags are easier to pack with clothes so may suit a day rider and lightweight tourist.

I tried a pair of small panniers on a b&b tour about 15 years ago and found them very awkward to pack and equally awkward to access. It was an experiment and I went back to a saddlebag. Now I only use panniers (small) when cycle camping with the panniers on the front for light bits such as cooking kit, and saddle bag and tent on a rear rack.

From the non user viewpoint - I wish pannier users would leave them on the bike when going into pubs and cafes on club runs, they just clutter up the place. What do you mean "miserable old git" :P
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

My saddlebag comes off om a QD fitting (and clutters up the cafe.... :wink: ). I much prefer it to small panniers, and one pannier is not an elegant solution.

I have always thought that the load in a saddlebag is in the most sensible place on the bike; it is normally easy to ride no hands with a saddlebag on, unlike with most bar bags or other front loads. A saddlebag usually works OK even on a bike with short chainstays, and generally upsets the bike handling least. The only time a saddlebag feels very odd is when you are riding out of the saddle.

My saddlebag sits on an uplift; this also means that when the bag is full, it is easier to mount the bike using a scissor kick over the crossbar than to swing my leg over the back; some folk won't like that I know.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

I have a Carradice saddlebag permanently attached to my saddle. Looks good, is waterproof and very practical. For short days out it carries my waterproof, repair kit, pump, loose change, keys, snacks etc. It has enough space for a day or two 'credit card' touring. I wouldn't be without it.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

I'm not massively fond of my Carradice Nelson and might swap it for something else. I had to put it on an (awfully ugly) SQR fitting as the back of my legs keep hitting it if it's attached directly to the saddle. It also seems impossible to strap it down tightly enough to stop it swaying disconcertingly when climbing hills.

I really like the convenience of being able to grab chocolate bar/spare batteries/extra clothing layer without rummaging through a pannier, though. Might try something a bit more modern to see if the fixture systems work a bit better.
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

I have a Carradice Nelson for B+B touring, originally supported by a Bagman which I hated as it bounced around so much. However when it fell apart I kept the quick release and fitted a Blackburn Rack to support around 10 Kg in the bag. I have done a couple of tours like this and have found it the perfect set up for me.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I would have thought lighting and usage of the rack are two issues now that QR isn't. But are we not spoilt for choice really as you could have a rack top bag as another option.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
meic

Post by meic »

I think that panniers start to come into being useful as the saddlebag ceases to be.

The saddlebags tend to stay on my bikes with essentials in and space to pick up whatever on route, like small items from shops. My Carradura can take two carrier bags full.
The panniers get used for taking larger loads like weekly shopping or camping touring.

In my case the panniers go on as well as the saddlebag. The saddlebag was used to allow me to carry twice as much volume, for the same weight as my rack and rack bag. Also bought about by fitting a rear disc brake.

I also feel that the saddlebag isnt as much of an aerodynamic drag as a pannier.
My saddlebag has no frame and just hangs from the saddle.
Yma o Hyd
honesty

Post by honesty »

what are everyone's thoughts on the differences between the bagman and the bagman 2?

I'm going on a 5 day B&B tour in a few months and am contemplating either a new light rack + panniers (I already have) or a new bagman (or b2) and a new carradice and I really can't make my mind up....
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

How about Carradice's "Classic Rack" with a saddlebag. Personally I think it looks neater and seems more practical.

If you don't have saddle loops you could fit one of these:
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I had my first ride yesterday with the new Carradice uplift, their version of the old Karrimor model. As shown a couple of posts above and funnily enough, with a green Barley. Impressed. It's easy and quick to mount and de-mount from the bike (with bag attached), the whole thing stays firm when riding and doesn't bounce about, only thing is, it's very close to the rear of the saddle. So you feel the frame against your backside. Though after a few miles, I forgot about it.

Also, first ride with the new and totally splendid Wharfe saddle. This thing is just beautiful to look at. And for a hard leather saddle which needs braking in, initially not too bad!And if anything, it's beefier and better made than a B17 narrow, it's direct competitor. Again, very impressed.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I use my bike for commuting. I was thinking of the saddle bag as a replacement for my pannier and rack mainly to lose weight.
I normally take the following each day : sandwiches in a tupperware box, banana (x2), change of clothes (underwear, shirt , tie and trousers), front and rear lights, waterprrof trousers incase it rains, I might need to take my longsleeved fleece top off and pop it in if I get hot. THat's the eseentials.
I would be grateful if you can recommend a saddle bag that will be lighter than my pannier and rack combined AND hold the above ?
Alastair
barrym

Post by barrym »

pioneer wrote:I had my first ride yesterday with the new Carradice uplift, their version of the old Karrimor model. As shown a couple of posts above and funnily enough, with a green Barley. Impressed. It's easy and quick to mount and de-mount from the bike (with bag attached), the whole thing stays firm when riding and doesn't bounce about, only thing is, it's very close to the rear of the saddle. So you feel the frame against your backside. Though after a few miles, I forgot about it.

Also, first ride with the new and totally splendid Wharfe saddle. This thing is just beautiful to look at. And for a hard leather saddle which needs braking in, initially not too bad!And if anything, it's beefier and better made than a B17 narrow, it's direct competitor. Again, very impressed.

I can't quite work out how it fits from the pics on the Carradice website. Am I right in thinking the fixings to the saddle loops are just 'tongues' that hook in? And the strap that goes around the seat post, what does that pull the support frame against?
--
Cheers
Barry
mjr

Post by mjr »

My fights with panniers and rack bags are an ongoing saga. I've looked at saddlebags but I've never liked the feeling of my tall rear basket when it pushes against the saddle and the rattling of saddlebags on other peoples' bikes offends me, so I've not tried one yet.

Firstly, do saddlebags strain the saddle and seat post and is the increase of the bag's distance from the axles significant for forward motion?

Secondly and more generally, http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... tor-28693/ "I’d spend the money on high-visibility, low-drag clothing and better lights"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlastairS wrote:Hi, I have a pannier and pannier rack on my bike.
I would like to know what owners of saddle bags think of them -p pros and cons.
Thank you.

I've never liked saddlebags,they catch the back of my thighs when riding.
If an uplift is used they're higher than the saddle so I can't get my backside off the back of the saddle when descending steep technical off road sections.
The side pockets are small and somehow end up at an angle encouraging things to fall out.
If a s/bag is loaded full I don't like the idea of all that weight hung off saddle rails or seatpost.
Pros
The main compartment is big and with longflap models the extension makes them huge but I don't need that kind of capacity.
Fitting lights can be a problem.

If you have a rack/carrier a top bag is ideal IMO for day rides add to that one or two panniers and they'll take a huge touring load.
My 2d's worth :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden