Bicycle Art

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ugly

Re: Bicycle Art

Post by Ugly »

brucey
the transmission in the Wilberforce poster looks like a Gradient or a Terrot, or rather an artists version of one. Both Gradient and Terrot were French manufacturers around the turn of the 19th century.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another vote for Pellos. I subscribed to Mirroir du Cyclisme for several years in the 1960's until I couldn't thoyle the cost. There was a Pellos cartoon every edition and most were about some topical issue in French pro cycling. My own favourite cycling cartoonist is the late Johnny Helms: always the gentlest of humour but from the POV of a cyclist through and through.

At a bit of a tangent, I noticed that the posters in my book mentioned above were attributed to a collection owned by a French cycling trade organisation. I googled to see if they now have a website and in their current incarnation they do (but there's no mention of poster art :( ) Anyway, it's now Tous à Vélo! which I suppose might be translated as "On your bikes!" It looks a bit like the equivalent of the defunct Cycling England, but financed by the trade, rather than being a quango.

http://www.tousavelo.com/
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Roller chain. Leonardo da Vinci.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Redvee wrote:I was browsing Ebay recently and hit the BIN button on this 23"x16" poster for £11.

That was my favourite picture from a 2013 retro cycling calendar I got last Christmas. A naked girl with beatuiful hair doing a superman in space!?!? All carried off with more style than a Parisian high street. Wonderful!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Ugly wrote:brucey
the transmission in the Wilberforce poster looks like a Gradient or a Terrot, or rather an artists version of one. Both Gradient and Terrot were French manufacturers around the turn of the 19th century.

oh yes, ta, I see what you mean;

a Terrot does look similar. So is that a two-speed gear, where you manually shift at the front?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

http://www.zeitgeistimages.co.uk/ is a great source for cycling images.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

geo ham bicycle.JPG

Sometimes less is more - amazing what a gifted artist can do with a few brush strokes. Don't know the artist, though.

cycling geo ham 2.JPG

Same artist, maybe not so impressive, but who does it remind you of? For me, it's Chris Hoy! :)