Anxiety and cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
StellaLdn.

Re: Anxiety and cycling

Post by StellaLdn. »

mjr wrote:In winter, our group is sometimes down to 6 for some trips so it might be a good time to try. Of there's too many for you, be brave and say goodbye early. When it gets bigger, it often splits into bits of about 6 or less, as we're not generally riding pace lines or anything like that and there's a range of speeds. Anyway, ask the group and their answer will probably be informative, both in content and style. Ultimately, if there's no group for you, consider starting one and encouraging others who ride less: so few ride these days, there's always some to encourage!

I've done that already. :-) I started a cycling club in north London (Finsbury Park). There are a few who have expressed interest, but we'll see how it develops. It's difficult to start in winter, but I've got one guy I've been riding with. He's challenging me, but not too much, so that's good. We'll go to Epping forest next weekend; very much looking forward to this.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
vanesamith

Post by vanesamith »

It's been winters and definitely I seek problems when I go for cycling but just at initial stage, once I am in my flow I am all set to go for a long ride. The past Christmas I got a new fixed gear bike for myself and since then I have been riding it every morning and recently on the new years eve me along with my friends and our group which is called the horizons have been for a long ride and enjoyed the camping but we also faced some of the issues as people in the group were facing issues with breathing problem because of asthma therefore, that was the time when I faced anxiety on the trip. But I think these issues need to overcome when you are on with the group. Therefore we took medical kits and a physician along with us which helped us to tackle the situation. But it was fun :) we enjoyed a lot and some or the other thing arise on trip so we just need to go on, I guess
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Whether ME is regarded as psychosomatic or neurological is largely a matter of semantics. Psychosomatic illnesses are illnesses, not imaginary. Somebody who has e.g. bad irritable bowel gets severe pain and their bowel is contracting with it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Whether ME is regarded as psychosomatic or neurological is largely a matter of semantics. Psychosomatic illnesses are illnesses, not imaginary. Somebody who has e.g. bad irritable bowel gets severe pain and their bowel is contracting with it.

You may be right. I wasn’t trying to say that psychosomatic illnesses are imaginary. And it is a complex condition; many ME CFS sufferers also have anxiety, depression and/or other mental and emotional disorders. Perhaps I didn’t adequately explain myself with regard to that point.

Also, I am uncertain about how these things are determined, or the relationship between classification and guidelines for treatment, but I do know that NICE guidelines for treatment differ somewhat from those in other countries. A number of ME / CFS charities have linked the classification with the NICE recommendations.

Cognitive behaviour therapy is recommended in a number of treatment guidelines for ME / CFS, and is in fact one of the few treatments with consistently beneficial results. However, some therapists in the UK treat it as a purely psychological illness, and focus on getting patients to give up disability aids and engage in exercise, which some ME / CFS charities, and the medical professionals with whom they work report as unhelpful, at best.

And I also have to admit to being somewhat of my depth with this. My friend with ME / CFS feels quite passionately about it, and has been unhappy with her treatment regime on the NHS.

I guess that anything like this with no known cause or cure and limited research investment is going to have some controversy around the treatment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Apologies to Claireysmurf for the thread hijack :oops:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Clairesmurf,

i've just realised you are from cardiff, my wife and i live in maesteg. i would be happy to take you out on some rides to help build confidence, either with my wife, with a freind of yours or just you and i (my wife will depend on off duty).

if you have an off road bike i can do skill sessions to help with confidence.

after reading your other thread about bike geometry, i'm also happy to offer a try of either mine or my wife's Ti tourer.

i also have a turbo that can be used to sort out bike fit issues.

this offer applies to anyone on this site that can get to the valleys easily.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

andrewjoseph wrote:Clairesmurf,

i've just realised you are from cardiff, my wife and i live in maesteg. i would be happy to take you out on some rides to help build confidence, either with my wife, with a freind of yours or just you and i (my wife will depend on off duty).

if you have an off road bike i can do skill sessions to help with confidence.

after reading your other thread about bike geometry, i'm also happy to offer a try of either mine or my wife's Ti tourer.

i also have a turbo that can be used to sort out bike fit issues.

this offer applies to anyone on this site that can get to the valleys easily.

That's a really nice offer thank you. :D
I don't think my issues are to do with confidence though.
I certainly could do with help learning some MTB skills but I think my current hardtail is the initial obstacle (19 inch frame 29er-perhaps a touch on the big side and big and stable)

I'm not sure if I have written in a confusing way about my Croix de Fer but I think it is a very comfortable bike so far. I guess it could always be better but not having done more than about 40 miles in a day on it so far I can't comment in more detail.

I'm often up for a ride so if you/wife want to, I'd be happy to join you for a ride but I may wait for a nice day.

Incidentally I am trying to revive a social cycling group I started a couple of years ago.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'd like to add my tuppence worth, although I haven't anything useful to add about the health aspect of the issue!
I've almost always cycled on my own, not for any deliberate reason; it's just turned out like that. I'm fairly gregarious by nature and have nothing against keeping company, but I nearly always cycle solo. I don't particular like the idea of cycling in a group, I think mainly 'cos of the thought of having to keep up - I'm a fairly slow cyclist. Of the many pleasures of cycling as a pastime that I can think of, peace and quiet and the flexibility resulting in travelling alone are up near the top of the list. Travelling on your own, you have the time to think your own thoughts and deliberate over whatever you choose, be it some complex problem left over from your job, or else something simpler like which sort of cake you are going to try to bake next (my latest hobby), or even just thinking about Nothing! Of course you can think these thoughts when you're in a group, but somehow that idea that you don't quite have that freedom to do and think what you like when in a group is something that puts me off giving it a go. An of course there's nothing worse for spoiling a train of thought than someone else trying to talk to you.
Likewise when I'm on my own, I can stop, start, change my mind about the route and maybe - perish the thought - even turn round and go home! I can stop and explore that little church I never noticed before, indulge in an ad-hoc geocache search, have a pint, not have a pint, go fast, go slow and even pop in to see a friend en route. All of which is difficult if not impossible to do in a group.
I know there's probably a competitive element missing in going solo - no times to beat, no camaraderie to get you up the next hill a bit quicker than last time, but to be honest, when I've needed to train - after a long time away from bikes, or else before a tour to try to get a bit fitter - my iPhone app supplies enough incentive to push me the little bit farther than before.
On the rare occasions I cycle in a group I spend far too much time worrying about trying to catch up or, occasionally, worrying that I'm pushing the slow members too hard or whether they're enjoying it or if the group at the back aren't taking up too much room cycling three abreast down the narrow county lane etc. etc.
Maybe I'm just a selfish so-and-so who simply doesn't like to share the pleasure of my chosen hobby, but all things considered I think I'll stick to my own company when I'm cycling - give it a go, Claire - you might like it!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

simonineaston wrote:Maybe I'm just a selfish so-and-so who simply doesn't like to share the pleasure of my chosen hobby, but all things considered I think I'll stick to my own company when I'm cycling - give it a go, Claire - you might like it!

I missed the train to join a group bike ride yesterday and went for a slow 12 mile ride instead. I didn't have that much energy and just pottered. I turned around at one point as I realised I didn't want to reach the main road at the end of the country road. I pottered and had fun