Avenue Verte GPS file

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Martin123

Avenue Verte GPS file

Post by Martin123 »

Hi,
I have been charged with route planning a London to Paris charity bike ride. The Avenue Verte route as appearing on the Sustrans site seems to be a good candidate. Does anyone know of a good GPS download which mirrors the route?
Cheers
Martin
Redvee

Re: Avenue Verte GPS file

Post by Redvee »

A quick look on http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/ found 30+ routes for Avenue Verte, Just click on export this route plus you can fly through the route.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

… and the chances are it's mapped on the OSM maps.

There's a guidebook too - although I don't know how good it is:
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It is indeed all on OSM, but my (entirely personal) view is that the official English route of the Avenue Verte should probably not be treated as gospel!

The Wandle Trail through South London is lovely for a Saturday-afternoon pootle, but there are lots of gates to slow you down. It's fairly forgettable from there to Coulsdon.

At Coulsdon, Ditches Lane is a really enjoyable lane, and the fun continues to the M25. The Avenue Verte then dives off through Redhill and Crawley, whereas I'd be tempted to keep to the east on the lanes via Bletchingley and Outwood. From East Grinstead onwards it's a very pleasant route, albeit with a few stretches of bridleway which aren't ideal for road bikes.

The French section is terrific. Some of it is quite remote, so either stock up on provisions in the morning, or be absolutely sure you're going to reach somewhere at lunchtime where the boulangerie will actually be open...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Martin123

Post by Martin123 »

Thanks all for your help. I'll be checking out the routes and hopefully find a good one.
Cheers
Martin
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

You might want to look at alternatives at Eridge. The Sustrans route is by no means ideal and takes you in the wrong direction for Rotherfield. It's only advantage is that it takes you under the A26 whereas the alternatives mean you have to cross it, although there are islands. This is a good example of a new section of road where cyclists have been ignored, but with a small amount of expense compared with the total cost it would have been so easy to provide facilities.

One route I use is via Sandhill Hill and Redgate Mill Lane.http://goo.gl/maps/vn7Lw but it means you cross the A26 here http://goo.gl/maps/jGmJH. You can cycle to the layby off road (along the old road) and then if you are careful along the layby (the wrong way) and then cycle or walk the very short distance along the pavement (I don't think I've ever seen any pedestrian on this pavement!) to the island. If it's any consolation you will probable have to push the bike on the Sustrans route as the surface is poor and loose just east of the A26. The Huntsman at Eridge Station provides good lunchtime food.

Alternatively you could turn left at the very end of Forest Way up Corseley Road to Groombridge, follow Route 18 along a short length of BOAT over the steam railway, take Eridge Road and then The Forstal to the A26 and back on Route 21http://goo.gl/maps/UwNJi

There's a rather muddy bridleway between Mayfield and Heathfield, but you can use a road instead, and also the old railway track Forest Row to Groombridge is a bit mucky this time of the year, but usually OK in summer.

Edit Sandhill Lane - not hill - although it is a bit up and down, but not the long drag of Blackdon Hill (going south) on the Sustrans route. The other problem with Blackdon Hill is you climb it only to lose all that height before the drag up to Rotherfield.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.