Bike bag on KLM / Air France?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
EnquiringMind

Bike bag on KLM / Air France?

Postby EnquiringMind » 2 Jan 2014, 4:14pm

We're flying later this month with KLM and Air France and hope to use the CTC bike bag.

We're faced with the same dilemma as this old topic - the rules seem to exclude the bike bag: "place your bicycle in a protective container (cardboard*, hard plastic)."

Has anyone flown Air France / KLM more recently who can comment? I suppose if they can go limited release it's not the end of the world, but I'm always nervous about arguing the toss at check in desks armed with random printouts, and we're going to Cuba, so it wouldn't be easy to pick up an alternative bike at the other side...

loafer

Re: Bike bag on KLM / Air France?

Postby loafer » 2 Jan 2014, 9:49pm

from klm web-site
Can I take a bicycle or tandem with me?

You can take a bicycle or tandem weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs, including packaging) in addition to your standard baggage allowance. You are always required to pay a special fee for a bicycle or tandem, which varies between EUR 55 and 100, depending on the zone in which you are flying.
Your bicycle must be packed in protective packaging or a bike box. Make sure the handlebar is turned lengthwise and the pedals and other protruding parts are removed. A bike box costs EUR 20 and can be purchased at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.

Make sure to reserve bicycle transport at least 48 hours before departure. This can be easily done online by logging into My Trip or calling KLM Telephone Reservations.
Read more about taking a bicycle or tandem with you

we got ours at heathrow(give them a call

EnquiringMind

Re: Bike bag on KLM / Air France?

Postby EnquiringMind » 2 Jan 2014, 11:59pm

Thanks -

"Protective packaging" would be OK, as the bag certainly counts for some value of 'protective'. Interesting (subtle) wording distinction...

I'm not so keen on a box, if for no other reason than we're flying, getting a bus to the start of our route then a bus back from the end, i.e. not a loop where we could easily pick up the boxes at the end of the trip. A bit like boxing your bike to take it to Land's End, then having to have a box to return from John o' Groats... chances of being able to buy a bike box at the airport in Cuba = close to nil I imagine?