Please recommend a well-ventilated helmet for Oz

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LollyKat

Please recommend a well-ventilated helmet for Oz

Post by LollyKat »

Our son went to Australia a couple of years ago to look for work. He now has a good permanent job and looks likely to be settled in one place for a while.

Although he cycled a lot in the UK he is put off by the helmet law in Oz. He would really like to go back to commuting by bike but has always found helmets too sweaty to wear.

However, I believe helmet technology has come on quite a long way since he last tried one nearly 20 years ago - does anyone know what the coolest models are these days? His head is a 'normal' size so he shouldn't be stuck for choice.

Thanks.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Please recommend a well-ventilated helmet for Oz

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depending on where he is in oz there have been a number of challenges to that law...

For a given slhelmet standard the lighter/vented helmets will be more expensive, can't suggest much more than trying some on...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

He's in Victoria, so temperatures could be worse.

Trying one on in the shop isn't the same as riding out on the roads. It is difficult to tell from the advertising hype whether some of the claims for better ventilation are really justified. Now that he is financially more secure he could afford to pay for a better one.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Specialized Propero II is well vented. Served me well out there.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a Specialized S-works that is the lightest and best ventilated helmet I could find a few years ago. As helmets go, I quite like it. The latest edition seems to be the S3.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll tell him to check them out. (It might also help if he gets his hair cut. :lol: )
Si

Post by Si »

Moved to 'Does anyone know' section of the forum as this thread is just asking about choosing a helmet for a place where I believe they are mandatory - it's not a debate about the pros and cons of helmets themselves. Hopefully it can stay this way, and stay in an area of the forum that has more visits.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1 for the Specialized S3.
In fact it's quite chilly to wear - I reckon cooler than being bare-headed.

The straps are thin and light, and the helmet is very light and easy to wear. The front doesn't sit directly on the forehead, as the pad holds it clear maybe half an inch providing even more ventilation.
Mick F. Cornwall
iainb

Post by iainb »

Probably some surplus ones going from the England cricket team - most of them only worn for a few minutes !!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Many thanks - the S3 looks pretty good. I'll pass all the suggestions on to him. :)
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

A bit late, and, sorry to be dull and me-tooist but I've got a Specialized S3 to replace my decibel (or whatever it was they called it before).
prando

Post by prando »

LollyKat wrote:Our son went to Australia a couple of years ago to look for work. He now has a good permanent job and looks likely to be settled in one place for a while.

Although he cycled a lot in the UK he is put off by the helmet law in Oz. He would really like to go back to commuting by bike but has always found helmets too sweaty to wear.

However, I believe helmet technology has come on quite a long way since he last tried one nearly 20 years ago - does anyone know what the coolest models are these days? His head is a 'normal' size so he shouldn't be stuck for choice.

Thanks.

Melbourne ?

No 2 son moved over there 4/5 years ago. Great place. Did a little cycling when visiting there along the coast cycle tracks. Fantastic...and level :wink: P
RickH

Post by RickH »

It may not work for everyone but when I'm wearing a helmet* I pretty much always wear a Buff (or similar tube of fabric) in a few of the many ways to wear one.

In hot weather I wear it rolled into a sweatband to stop any sweat dripping into my eyes but allows most of the ventilation to work. It also prevents the scenario where the helmet pads soak up sweat, the temperature (body heat or weather) concentrates it and then you go to adjust the position of the helmet slightly & squeeze super concentrated salty solution out of a pad into your eye! :cry: Any sweat soaked up by the buff is easily rinsed out (& evaporation from a damp buff can help with cooling in very hot weather). I've personally found this combination better than no helmet in hot weather (30+C) on climbs in the Pyrenees in Spain.

When the weather is cooler I wear it as a skull cap/beanie & when very cold I swap it for one with a fleece section (& the thin one may go round my neck as a draught excluder).

Rick.
(*mine is a Rudy Project Sterling which BTW I find both comfortable and well ventilated & I like the neat clip-on visor that comes with it)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks Rick - that's a good tip about the buff.