I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
al_yrpal

Re: I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

Post by al_yrpal »

Ayesha wrote:The 5-4-3 diet is for small ladies.
A tall lady and small bloke should be on a 6-5-4 diet, and a taller bloke on a 7-6-5 diet.

This is 7 hundred for breakfast, 6 hundred for lunch and 5 hundred for evening meal.

Or, in 17th century parlance 'Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and sup like a pauper'… Yes, I do agree, but I am a creature of habit used to a hasty breakfast, quick lunch and a relaxed and generous evening dinner . In the end it doesnt matter too much I think, its calories in and energy out that determines how much weight you will shed. As long as every day, you include a nice bit of exercise to keep your metabolism from slumbering, cutting calories does the trick. I also fear that too little to eat in the evening would leave me hungry and prone to snacking.
Been to Makro today and stocked up the freezer with loads of fish. Cod, Haddock, Bass, Sole, Monkfish, and Scallops. Nice way to keep the calories down.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

al_yrpal wrote:As long as every day, you include a nice bit of exercise to keep your metabolism from slumbering, cutting calories does the trick.

I think that's why dieters never get anywhere. If you cut calories alone without exercise, your body just tries to match your metabolism to the reduced calorie intake and you lose nothing.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I think you are always meant to leave the table hungry or at least able to eat more. It takes the message that you have eaten enough food, 20 mins to reach the brain. So I'm told.
I'm one of the lucky ones that never puts weigh on or loses it to any degree. However I can't really remember ever feeling "full" at meals. I'm 14 stone, my wife is 10 stone and we eat virtually the same meals.
I don't know if it's genetics or a childhood thing. We were pretty poor as kids and often did not have enough food for regular meals. I grew up starving and was skin and bones for a long time.
For some reason I dream a lot about food. I'm always queuing up somewhere for food and worrying that it is going to be gone before I get there.
I think I'm either insecure or hungry in the night. :)
Last edited by bigjim on 25 Mar 2014, 9:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

axel_knutt wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:As long as every day, you include a nice bit of exercise to keep your metabolism from slumbering, cutting calories does the trick.

I think that's why dieters never get anywhere. If you cut calories alone without exercise, your body just tries to match your metabolism to the reduced calorie intake and you lose nothing.

Actually, I think that our metabolisms try to match our intake/output. And that this happens, almost whatever we eat, unless it is either substantially more, or substantially less than what we need. Weight gain and loss occur when we make changes to our eating & exercise habits, because it takes a few days for the metabolism to catch up. Maybe our metabolisms change a bit with aging, too.

While it's easy to say the calories out have be at least as much as the calories taken in, how quickly we burn those calories will vary, not just with exercise, but other, less obvious levels of activity, as well; how much sleep we get, the amount of mental exercise we have, etc.

People who frequently change food intake and exercise levels sometime have more success with weight loss, as a result. I think that why things like the 'fast diet' work well for some people.

This is purely my opinion, formed mostly on the basis of anecdotal evidence.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Weight loss isnt an exact science day by day, but the straight descending line on my weight loss graph convinces me that calories in and calories out is on average fairly scientific fact.

There is the Basal Metabolic (BMR) is the number of calories your body burns at rest to maintain normal body functions. It is the amount of calories per day your body burns, regardless of exercise. It changes with age, weight, height, gender, diet and exercise habits.

I believe that if you don't weigh things, measure things when you are dieting and just estimate things roughly, you can kid yourself. The food diary I keep has a massive database and you can scan barcodes which speeds up data entry. For me, it seems to be very accurate because I base my diet on a sedentary lifestyle adding calories for every scrap of food and taking them away for exercise. That said, I am convinced that a bit of fairly vigorous exercise every single day helps things along nicely.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:I believe that if you don't weigh things, measure things when you are dieting and just estimate things roughly, you can kid yourself.

I don't even roughly estimate things. I mainly eat what I want to when I'm cycling frequently, and cut back on portions, cakes and chocolates when I'm not. I'm vegetarian, but I enjoy eggs, nuts, and dairy products.

I have a little more padding than necessary, but I'm happy with it. I don't have a bathroom scale, but I know that I gained a little weight earlier this year when I was forced to rest by a broken rib. It came off again quickly when I resumed my normal level of activity.

I did gain quite a lot of extra weight with pregnancies, and some of that took more effort to lose. The rest came off when we got rid of one of the cars. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Just thought I'd throw my brief experience into this thread after trying it.

I've generally always eaten healthily, followed the typical advice of low fat where possible and eat plenty of grains, pasta/rice/wholemeal bread etc. What had always puzzled me was why I was always a good deal overweight without any chocolate, crisps, biscuits, cake and beer in my diet, even when very active I never really dropped to a normal sort of weight, when I was in my cycling prime my BMI still classed me as obese!

So when I read this thread I did some reading and thought it was worth a try. I've been following the low carb/high fat lifestyle now for 3 weeks and I've lost 7lbs. Now that is pretty good for me but the best thing to come out of this is that I'm never hungry between meals, before when I was on a high carb diet/low fat diet I was hungry literally an hour after a big meal, I could eat a 100g pasta + meat/sauce dish with bread and within less than two hours I was reaching for a large bowl of cereal because I was hungry again, this has now completely gone away, I can't ever remember feeling satiated for long periods after meals, I've always had to supplement meals with snacks like the odd sandwich or bowl of cereal and now I don't even think about food between meals.

There is definitely something in this insulin resistance and how everyone is different when it comes to processing carbs, I also feel a lot better within myself and more on a level plain than my previous spiky mood swings (which were also not very good for my depression). I'm looking forward to see how this progresses, one thing for sure is that the old chestnut of calories in/calories out is complete hogwash for a lot of people, I do hardly any exercise and I reckon I'm easily into 3k calories a day and I've lost weight (!) explain that, and it's not water because I've increased my water intake drastically.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Trigger wrote:Just thought I'd throw my brief experience into this thread after trying it.

I've generally always eaten healthily, followed the typical advice of low fat where possible and eat plenty of grains, pasta/rice/wholemeal bread etc. What had always puzzled me was why I was always a good deal overweight without any chocolate, crisps, biscuits, cake and beer in my diet, even when very active I never really dropped to a normal sort of weight, when I was in my cycling prime my BMI still classed me as obese!

So when I read this thread I did some reading and thought it was worth a try. I've been following the low carb/high fat lifestyle now for 3 weeks and I've lost 7lbs. Now that is pretty good for me but the best thing to come out of this is that I'm never hungry between meals, before when I was on a high carb diet/low fat diet I was hungry literally an hour after a big meal, I could eat a 100g pasta + meat/sauce dish with bread and within less than two hours I was reaching for a large bowl of cereal because I was hungry again, this has now completely gone away, I can't ever remember feeling satiated for long periods after meals, I've always had to supplement meals with snacks like the odd sandwich or bowl of cereal and now I don't even think about food between meals.

There is definitely something in this insulin resistance and how everyone is different when it comes to processing carbs, I also feel a lot better within myself and more on a level plain than my previous spiky mood swings (which were also not very good for my depression). I'm looking forward to see how this progresses, one thing for sure is that the old chestnut of calories in/calories out is complete hogwash for a lot of people, I do hardly any exercise and I reckon I'm easily into 3k calories a day and I've lost weight (!) explain that, and it's not water because I've increased my water intake drastically.

Nice to hear. Hope it goes well for you.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Thanks.

I was sceptical at the start so I wasn't planning on it being a long term thing, more of an experiment, but the difference is so marked I'd be daft to not continue.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The 'typical advice' isn't to eat plenty of carbs, not from dieticians that is, its to eat a moderate amount of carbs in a balanced diet. 100g of pasta accompanied by bread etc is a lot unless you are digging holes all day. I reckon on 45g of pasta or rice, or 125g of potato in a main meal, no more Eating lots of carbs is a vicious circle, you end up wanting more. Well done.

Al
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

On the Friday evening ( and the remainder on the Saturday morning ) before the ‘Two Battles’ 200 km Audax, I ate a 20” diameter deep pan pizza with all the meats and added kebab meat and jalapenos.
During the ride I ate four slices of various sponge cakes with strong coffee.
Sunday I ate normally

On the Monday morning, I’d lost 0.5% bodyfat by the caliper method, and on Tuesday morning, my weight had maintained to the 0.5% fat reduction.

For breakfast before a 70 mile ride out to recce an Info Control for next year’s Audax event, I ate a 8” tall Thorntons white chocolate Easter egg and an Aldi white chocolate bunny.
Still losing fat. :D
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

So am I, eating loads of fat and without doing any exercise :P
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Ayesha wrote:On the Friday evening ( and the remainder on the Saturday morning ) before the ‘Two Battles’ 200 km Audax, I ate a 20” diameter deep pan pizza with all the meats and added kebab meat and jalapenos.
During the ride I ate four slices of various sponge cakes with strong coffee.
Sunday I ate normally

On the Monday morning, I’d lost 0.5% bodyfat by the caliper method, and on Tuesday morning, my weight had maintained to the 0.5% fat reduction.

For breakfast before a 70 mile ride out to recce an Info Control for next year’s Audax event, I ate a 8” tall Thorntons white chocolate Easter egg and an Aldi white chocolate bunny.
Still losing fat. :D

Wow.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Went to the Pub Quiz last night.

I had three pints of Diet Pepsi and I'm three pounds up this morning....
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

The BIG advice for people on a reducing diet is…

Eat before you exercise, and DO NOT eat anything within four hours of your long sleep.

( I say ‘long sleep’ because there are some who work nightshift and take their long sleep during the daytime ).