Are there any group rides/events similar to...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Godlykepower

Are there any group rides/events similar to...

Post by Godlykepower »

...L'Eroica, but that can be done on any bicycle, regardless of age, that are non-competitive?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Galloper

Re: Are there any group rides/events similar to...

Post by Galloper »

Audax!

Have a look here: http://www.aukweb.net/
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

And an Audax will be a tenth of the cost too.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I've always just assumed that there was some competitive element to an Audax.

Is the emphasis on fun in these things? I can take my time and not have to race?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Godlykepower wrote:I've always just assumed that there was some competitive element to an Audax.

Is the emphasis on fun in these things? I can take my time and not have to race?

With audax you can go as fast or as slow as you like, subject to the minimum and maximum completion speeds/times. You can take your time at café stops, so long as you get around within the maximum time which is (I think) 6hrs 40 minutes for a 100km ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Audax's are expected to be completed within a certain time. But the speeds are quite low for a reasonably fit person.

Take this one:-
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-32/

Speed 14Kph-25Kph for 108Km distance. (~9mph-16mph.)
There is plenty of time for chatting and brew stops. :)

Check out the AUK calender for events local to you.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I feel like my world has been turned upside down, finding out all this information!

I see from reading the FAQs that pretty much anything is ridden in the events, but do regular Audaxers (?) have a specific bike for them of would my newly built Surly LHT which I will be using for touring, do?
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I'm sure a Surly LHT will do fine. One chap famously enters the mega long 1200km Audax events on a Vintage single speed bike complete with Breton striped jumper and string of onions around his neck. The nice thing about Audax ( and CTC for that matter ) is they are quite far removed from the competitive carbon fibre Sportive scene, as well as being much better value.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

What's the situation with regards to wearing a helmet?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Godlykepower wrote:What's the situation with regards to wearing a helmet?

Wear one if you want to on your head be it or not if you do not want to. :D

You do mot even have to complete the course but it is good manners to phone to let the organisers know if you drop out.
Some have Carbon Fibre type racers but most just have persons on bikes out to enjoy themselves. 8)
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm not sure what L'eroica is, but if you want shorter less formal stuff until or mixed in with audaxes, there's also stuff like cam ride home in Cambridge and even our KLWNBUG day trips from King's Lynn (if you warn us to meet the 0953 arrival) just a train ticket away from Royston.

Edit: provide links.
Last edited by mjr on 28 Jan 2014, 3:39pm, edited 3 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I haven't done an audax but I think that what people generally say about them is true. However I do also get the impression that there is a bit of an arms race going on in the bike weight department. Apart from the fact that you do have to be a fairly fit rider for the longer audaxes, there are plenty of people with their sights set on seriously challenging rides. It is also telling that most bike manufacturers have an "audax" model in their range. I think audaxes are serious bike rides calling for quite a bit of endurance, self reliance and discipline, even the shorter ones. But there must surely be a bit of psychological pressure too not to come in after everyone else?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I've never known how my finishing time for an Audax compares with others ( it's not published, unlike Sportives ). You do have to be pretty good for the longer rides, but they do plenty of shorter rides too. Self reliance is encouraged and there isn't a mobile mechanic to come along and fix your punctures ( I like this ). My experience has always been that audax's are relaxed and sociable.
seph

Post by seph »

Audax is brilliant! Great routes, cafe stops worked out for you and great camaraderie. Be aware that they are highly addictive though, I started out with local 200km rides, then almost inexplicably found myself traversing Lincolnshire in the middle of the night...
I've ridden a good few on my tourer, but mostly use a 15 year old 531 ribble. For long rides comfort takes precedence over latest/lightest anyday. For me personally that means having the bars set a good bit higher than I need for, say, a 3 or 4 hour ride.
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

How does it work then? Is it a mass start and then a set route?