Woollen jersey (not a review but a question)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sooper8

Woollen jersey (not a review but a question)

Post by Sooper8 »

Hi all,
I am looking for a wool jersey (short or long sleeve).
They seem so expensive compared to an equivalent jumper?

Two questions- Where is the cheapest place to buy one ? (ideally a bit retro, but not that bothered)
I have been looking for a used one at a bargain price but being a decent size 44" chest, they don't seem to come up often if at all. Is that a very unlikely possibility?

I've tried Google etc but just wanted recommendations and pointers

Thanks in advance
Swallow

Re: Woollen jersey (not a review but a question)

Post by Swallow »

Have a look here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on_ ... ved_jersey Don't have one so I don't know what they are like
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

I really like the look of these custom made ones from USA. Not as dear as you might think too.

Oregon Cyclewear

You can get something like this for about £70 including custom embroidery and delivery.

image.jpg
Last edited by Godlykepower on 31 Jan 2014, 11:19pm, edited 3 times in total.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

Cycling clothing from cycling outlets comes at a premium. I buy lots of gear that I use on the bike from outdoor clothing shops or the high street. Marks and spencer do pure Merino jumpers far cheaper than cycling shops.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Aldi get merino stuff in fairly regularly, although marketed as for cycling its not as cycling specific as some might like, e.g. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/h ... o-shirt-1/
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

many thanks for responses
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Swallow wrote:Have a look here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on_ ... ved_jersey Don't have one so I don't know what they are like

I can say that I've two of these jerseys and, nice as they are, both shrunk from an adult large size to something only a small child could wear after a couple of washes. I wouldn't buy again.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

GavinC wrote:
Swallow wrote:Have a look here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on_ ... ved_jersey Don't have one so I don't know what they are like

I can say that I've two of these jerseys and, nice as they are, both shrunk from an adult large size to something only a small child could wear after a couple of washes. I wouldn't buy again.

I also had the same experience, so am avoiding them.

GAP/ uniglo do merino wool jumpers and I am tempted to get their stuff, as cycling kit is expensive.

However, for the first time ever I used a merino wool sugio over a base layer and it is far more comfortable than the cleverer fabrics.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

samsbike wrote:
GavinC wrote:

I also had the same experience, so am avoiding them.

GAP/ uniglo do merino wool jumpers and I am tempted to get their stuff, as cycling kit is expensive.

However, for the first time ever I used a merino wool sugio over a base layer and it is far more comfortable than the cleverer fabrics.

Thanks for the info, looked like a bargain but I guess you get what you pay for
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most wools need a little special care. Only a small percentage (even merino) can survive a normal wash without shrinking.

I wash my woolens on cold, with a washing liquid made for wool. We have a couple of merino items that say that go in a normal wash (up to 40 C)and low tumble dry. But they usually get washed with the other woolens, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

What are you willing to pay? I've got a Helly Hansen freeze top..had it for 3/4 years now..very good value in my opinion. Think I paid £50 for it..seem to be a bit more expensive now, but worth it IMV

Dave
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

If you wash a wool garment according to the instructions it should not shrink. Shove it in with the general wash and it will shrink if not specially treated. When we had a knitwear business we had a standard reply to shrinkage problems. We will send the garment off to an independent lab for testing.If the wool is at fault we will pay. If they say you washed it wrongly you will pay. We never heard any more from any of them !
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

EBay is great woolen jerseys, just search 'vintage jerseys!' there are hundreds!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Grumbleweed wrote:EBay is great woolen jerseys, just search 'vintage jerseys!' there are hundreds!

Thanks. One of the issues there is that they seem to be almost all very small and/or horrendously expensive.

I was in a street market in Florence the year before last and found a huge hoard of them but they were all way too small.