Folding bikes - the real problem

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mfdaustrey

Folding bikes - the real problem

Post by mfdaustrey »

I have got a caravan and decided we should take some bikes with us. We used to put 5 bikes on the car and take a trailer tent but now with only two of us, and getting older, I've been looking at some folders. I need some advice!
I don't want the usual "buy a Brompton", as I feel it's generally overkill. I don't want it folding really small for the tube but need a decent ride on campsites, county lanes and towpaths.
The added problem is that I am 6'5", problem with the caravan choice as well, inside leg 35/36". My present MTB has seat to pedal distance of 95cm. Most of the Dahon specifications match up to 6'4".
I've been looking at Dahons because of the details are available on their website but would appreciate any advice about order makes. If you want to advise a Brompton please give a model.
The comments I've found all seem to be several years old. What I would like is a good bike in the cheap range, but not rubbish. Again it is no use saying "don't buy cheap" because I don't know what cheap is. Everyday cheap is not the same as once a year cheap.
If I buy used how old can I go? Are old Dahons much better than say a new Ecosmo, bicycles4u etc.
Sorry for the long post but haven't seen this problem really addressed from a non-commuter point of view.
pioneer

Re: Folding bikes - the real problem

Post by pioneer »

I'd say for what you're after, take a look at the folders in Halfords. Don't know what they are badged as these days, but they look to be decent bikes for not a stupid amount of money.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bromptons have a choice of seat post and handlebar types IIRC . You can get a reasonable fit this way, but perhaps not good enough for your use.

It may be worth asking if the advised weight limit (you plus luggage) is likely to be an issue.

B'Twin claim their bikes fit up to 195cm so they may be worth a look, e.g.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/folding-bike-tilt-5-asphalt-id_8202736.html

If it is 'once a year' use and you are DIY-inclined then I'd suggest that you could consider something of a custom build. Maybe start out with a Raleigh 20 folder and rework it with a longer seat post, butterfly bars (for added reach) etc. You can go at this as you like; I've seen some quite nice bikes built from old Dawes Kingpins too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
james01

Post by james01 »

Why folders? A caravan is a perfect bike holdall. We used to carry full size 4 bikes and a tandem in ours, all upholstery carefully protected of course. The tandem was too long to negotiate the side door of the caravan so we inserted it through the opening front window. On site the bikes lived outside, rain or shine.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I've just bought a Tern Joe in Evans Cycles for £270. I'd recommend it but the sizing only goes up to 6'3" and I suspect finding anything larger will be difficult (at a reasonable price). If you have an Evans nearby, it might be worth a look just to try it for size.
mfdaustrey

Post by mfdaustrey »

Thanks for the replies. Have just been out with my wife to Halfords, Decathlon and Hawk Cycles. None were quite big enough for me, at present, but if they turned out to be the best I could get I could manage, possibly extending the seat post.
Thinking of last year's caravan outings there are s number of times we would have had the bikes on the car, also we are getting close to overload, which will only get worse if we change the van.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

New ones aren't cheap and I don't think second hand ones come up very often but try looking at the range of Birdy folding bikes.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm 6ft 5 with a 34 inch inside leg and am getting on fine with a tern Joe. Dahon espresso is a similar 26" wheeled folder. I have swapped out the bars on mine for a 50mm rise bar. Have got hand built wheels and dynohubs on it too, so can't comment on the original wheels of the Joe.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....