Merino wool why so special

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: Merino wool why so special

Post by Vorpal »

Sweep wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Surely the classic method of clothes washing while cycle-camping is to take things into the shower with you and tread on them?

With an aldi synthetic top perhaps, but sounds like a bad idea with a bit of merino.

It sounds like a bad idea in general. I don't know who else has showered there, what they did, or how clean it is kept. Also, in camping places and public showers, sometimes people wear shoes, either beach shoes to shower in, or street shoes because the space is shared with toilets, they take their shoes off only at the last moment before getting into the shower, etc. And those may carry germs that multiply in a wet environment.

It's bad enough that I have to walk on it. Wash my clothes there? Nope.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Excellent point. I would imagine some folk pee in them as well.
Sweep
boris

Post by boris »

I have sometimes just got in the shower dressed and soaped and rinsed the clothes on me . Then to dry them , if you have rented a towel you can lay the garment flat on the towel , roll it up , then ring it so the towel soaks up the water. Very effective. If the clothes are not dry in the morning Ihave just set off damp. It soon dries on you when you are working in the moving air.

I would avoid traumatising the wool much , and any clothes can be damaged. Verrucca viruses etc all over your clothing does not sound very good.

as has been said in the thread, you only need to rinse a wool baselayer a bit now and then , same for socks.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've never had a problem just doing a hand wash in the sink, I've never needed to stand in my kit. Tri bars make very, very good clothes driers btw.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Renting a towel seems to contravene one of the principles of life (the universe and everything)!