Garmin Base Camp

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MGate

Re: Garmin Base Camp

Post by MGate »

After reading this thread I thought I'd give base camp another go... back to ride with GPS I think... Just not smart enough on the routing. I'm sure you love it if you get your head round it all but it all feels about 5 years out of date for me in terms of user interface.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

MGate wrote:After reading this thread I thought I'd give base camp another go... back to ride with GPS I think... Just not smart enough on the routing. I'm sure you love it if you get your head round it all but it all feels about 5 years out of date for me in terms of user interface.

I've just discovered that if you edit a track/route and decide you dont want to save it in it's edited form you have to undo all the changes one by one. Not saving isnt an option.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

But it is on a computer ukdodger.

Surely you can just copy the thing you want to edit and give it a different name?

Folk must have been doing that sort of thing preDOS?

And Basecamp does allow you to "undo" a few moves back.

I think Basecamp is very good.

And I use it for storing routes, wherever I originally created them.

And you can back it all up very easily.
Sweep
cjs

Post by cjs »

ukdodger wrote:.....I've just discovered that if you edit a track/route and decide you dont want to save it in it's edited form you have to undo all the changes one by one. Not saving isnt an option......

Try a different workflow, select the route you want to use, right click, select duplicate (it will automatically rename by adding a number) and If your original route contains defined Waypoints I would suggest declining the offered option of duplicating them to avoid confusion...

Amend the duplicate or duplicates any way you want...

If you wish to compare how about assigning different colours to each route within their properties, then select each duplicate in turn to to bring it to the foreground...

May help...
Kind Regards
Chris...
cjs

Post by cjs »

Sweep wrote:....Surely you can just copy the thing you want to edit and give it a different name?....

Just as an info as I understand it, your data, routes, Waypoints & stuff within Basecamp is stored in a database located normally in C:/Users/[computer name]/AppData/Roaming/Garmin/BaseCamp/Database/ (This is a hidden folder and permissions need to be set to view)

As you create, edit or add anything within BaseCamp the database is automatically updated - unlike say, MS Word, where you have to manually save the file or engage auto saving function on a timer...

Generally speaking there are no individual files per se that you can manage unless you export them to another format such as .gpx etc

However you can back up or move all your files by copying the database folder.

Under BaseCamp Edit > Options > General there is a Database Option function to create a new database and define its location away from the default which can facilitate easier sharing of the database between say a laptop and a home computer without the need for exporting individual files.
Kind Regards
Chris...
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

cjs wrote:
ukdodger wrote:.....I've just discovered that if you edit a track/route and decide you dont want to save it in it's edited form you have to undo all the changes one by one. Not saving isnt an option......

Try a different workflow, select the route you want to use, right click, select duplicate (it will automatically rename by adding a number) and If your original route contains defined Waypoints I would suggest declining the offered option of duplicating them to avoid confusion...

If you wish to compare how about assigning different colours to each route within their properties, then select each duplicate in turn to to bring it to the foreground...

May help...

Cheers. That's a workable idea. It just seems a bit odd to complicate a simple procedure. I cant think of another program that doesnt have a save/not save option. There may be other reasons BC is preferred by others but for for my uses I'm sticking to MapSource for as long as it holds out.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

cjs wrote:

May help...

this what i do. on apple "cmd z" undoes one at a time. delete gets rid of the route.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
cjs

Post by cjs »

ukdodger wrote: ...It just seems a bit odd to complicate a simple procedure. I cant think of another program that doesnt have a save/not save option....

Personally the BC database workflow suits me - In the past many many times I've lost work & time hence money when good ole windies blue screens or power failure happens and the work was all in 'memory' so to speak.... even Microsoft later built in auto save timers into office in case you forgot to hit the 'save' button every 5 minutes or so in that complex spreadsheet or document....

10:49 Edit: For clarity I did a few quick simple tests - BC automatically saves your work into its database when you exit the program, so my above para is part 'bull...' - a power outage / blue screen will loose your work just the same.. there may well be an auto save timer built in somewhere..

Logic tells me BC was developed by Garmin for those who have extensive data to store and manage - for example if you are an enthusiastic geocache hunter, geotag photographs, blogs etc....

ukdodger wrote: ... for my uses I'm sticking to MapSource for as long as it holds out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no flag waver for BC but as a free programme it is very good ....

Mapsource is good as well - I still use it for specific tasks especially combining multiple maps and for most cycle tourers MapSource is all you need - however if you have lots of waypoints and routes such as may be required for long tours then BC will manage them far easier... for most..
Last edited by cjs on 14 Mar 2014, 10:51am, edited 2 times in total.
Kind Regards
Chris...
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

cjs wrote:
ukdodger wrote: ...It just seems a bit odd to complicate a simple procedure. I cant think of another program that doesnt have a save/not save option....

Personally the BC database workflow suits me - In the past many many times I've lost work & time hence money when good ole windies blue screens or power failure happens and the work was all in 'memory' so to speak.... even Microsoft later built in auto save timers into office in case you forgot to hit the 'save' button every 5 minutes or so in that complex spreadsheet or document....

Logic tells me BC was developed by Garmin for those who have extensive data to store and manage - for example if you are an enthusiastic geocache hunter, geotag photographs, blogs etc....

ukdodger wrote: ... for my uses I'm sticking to MapSource for as long as it holds out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no flag waver for BC but as a free programme it is very good ....

Mapsource is good as well - I still use it for specific tasks especially combining multiple maps and for most cycle tourers MapSource is all you need - however if you have lots of waypoints and routes such as may be required for long tours then BC will manage them far easier... for most..

I think you've about summed it up.
crossy

Post by crossy »

The only way I can put routes on to gps at the moment is to have the gps plugged in and plot the route on the gps. I can send route from the gps to base camp but still not from basecamp to gps.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

crossy wrote:The only way I can put routes on to gps at the moment is to have the gps plugged in and plot the route on the gps. I can send route from the gps to base camp but still not from basecamp to gps.

have you installed maps for basecamp?

if you startup bc without garmin plugged in, do you see any maps?
--
crossy

Post by crossy »

Yes I've got velo maps on the gps and base camp. This only seems to have started happening since I got the last base camp update.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

crossy wrote:Yes I've got velo maps on the gps and base camp. This only seems to have started happening since I got the last base camp update.

to back to the older version and see what happens.
--
crossy

Post by crossy »

Do I have to uninstall base camp then down load the old one sorry for silly question but quite computer illiterate
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

crossy wrote:Do I have to uninstall base camp then down load the old one sorry for silly question but quite computer illiterate

yes i think so. keep a copy of the old and new, so you don't have to download it again.
--