rear light for carradice saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: rear light for carradice saddlebag

Post by thirdcrank »

My own interpretation would be that a lamp fixed to a saddlebag was legally OK so long as it complied with everything else in the regs, which specify the p;osition of lampos, not the means of fixing, AFAIK. I think it would be impossible for a prosecutor to argue anything else. ie I think a saddlebag would be part of the bike once it was fastened onto it. Mudguards aren't permanent fixtures but I don't think anybody would suggest they weren't part of the bike when lights or reflectors ate fitted there. The flip side of that is that I think that any rear facing reflectives other than red ones are probably illegal on luggage etc. FWIW, I'd certainly feel comfy standing in court arguing that a saddlebag-mounted lamp was kosher.

I think that the big difference between the older lamps with bulbs and LED's is that the former shone a light all over the place but the latter are very directional; unless they are firmly fixed and pointing the right way, LED's aren't being used to maximum effect.
mfitzy

Post by mfitzy »

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=235
I have two smart lights side by side on my nelson longflap. Use a rubber band for extra security. Also use useful knobs front and rear. Again fitted with smart lights. Highly recommend these.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

LollyKat wrote:I use a Smart light. The clip is like a belt clip - on my Barley I clip it to the metal Carradice badge which holds it a bit higher and is less floppy. You can bend the badge slightly if necessary. It depends on the angle your bag hangs at, though.

I tried that and it pulled one of the rivets out of the metal badge on my new Barley :(
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Ooops! I haven't had any problems but I bent the badge slightly before inserting the light, so that nothing would be strained.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

thirdcrank wrote,
I think that any rear facing reflectives other than red ones are probably illegal on luggage etc.

Ooops! :oops: The white reflective strips on my Super C Audax (photo above) were stitched onto the pockets by Carradice
The yellow belt would otherwise be around my waist and facing rearward in any case (pardon the luggage pun), but I can't abide belts when cycling

I note the word "probably", does anyone have chapter and verse on this complex area?

Edit: with light mornings now I reckon I've about six months to bottom this :D

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Most rear bags and panniers, not just Carradice, seem to have white/silver reflective patches now, rather than red, so if it is illegal.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

LollyKat wrote:Most rear bags and panniers, not just Carradice, seem to have white/silver reflective patches now, rather than red, so if it is illegal.....

It's just one of those things that nobody bothers about, probably on the basis that a christmas tree cyclist is better than what now seems to be known as a ninja.

These lighting threads come up with such regularity - although this one seems to be out of season - that I can't be bothered to dig up all the links again, but the regs specify only red lights and reflectors to the rear, with exceptions such as reversing lights, indicators, reg plates and pedal reflectors. While reflectors have to be appropriately marked to comply with requirements, the absence of markings doesn't mean they can be used willy-nilly. If something reflects, then it's a reflector, with further exceptions for things like rear view mirrors and chrome bumpers.

This level of complication may be a pointer as to why nobody bothers.

There is a simple logic in the requirements ie that white lights mark the front of a vehicle and red lights the rear. Re reflectors, the convention is also that red reflectors mark the nearside of the carriageway and white mark the offside. After a serious collision, anything that didn't comply might be contentious. When big payouts are in the air, or there's a prosecution for causing death by dangerous driving, any excuse will do.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I can quite see the logic. Carradice used to put red reflectors on their stuff - I still have some. I prefer the red as it also shows up well in daytime, at least to drivers who aren't colour blind.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

@thirdcrank
I too can see the logic, but pretty much every bag and item of cycling clothing that I own has a white reflective strip, logo or piping sewn in and visible rearward, cue Altura Night Vision

christmas tree cyclist is better than what now seems to be known as a ninja
Christmas Tree it is then

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

I'm thinking of a mudguard mounted rear light to save inconvenience of light attached to saddlebag.
Two I'm considering are : http://road.cc/content/review/54756-pdw-fenderbot-tail-light
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/an-lun-3-led-rear-light-for-mudguards-prod23754/
Has anyone any experience of these ?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

LollyKat wrote:Most rear bags and panniers, not just Carradice, seem to have white/silver reflective patches now, rather than red, so if it is illegal.....

Replying, thirdcrank wrote:It's just one of those things that nobody bothers about, probably on the basis that a christmas tree cyclist is better than what now seems to be known as a ninja.
the regs specify only red lights and reflectors to the rear, with exceptions such as reversing lights, indicators, reg plates and pedal reflectors.
There is a simple logic in the requirements ie that white lights mark the front of a vehicle and red lights the rear. Re reflectors, the convention is also that red reflectors mark the nearside of the carriageway and white mark the offside. ....

As most cyclists will have red "proper" rear reflectors as well as silver/white tape stuck on their luggage etc, I wonder if that mix could be viewed as an indentifying feature of a cyclist (e.g. a mnemonic fixed red-white pattern could be chosen as aan option in leau of amber pedal reflectors?).

Would you view rear amber luggage reflective strips as legal I wonder (reflect more than red)? Amber being allowed front and rear, and a "cyclisty" colour.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)