Frejus-Nice bike route

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dbejon

Frejus-Nice bike route

Post by dbejon »

My wife and I are riding into Nice from the Canyon du Verdun. We have biked in various parts of France but are not overly keen on steep hills. My original plan was to ride down into Frejus and ride along the coast road into Nice. I am getting conflicting views on the suitability of this route. Is there a bike path along the road? Does anyone have an alternative suitable route?
tim_f

Re: Frejus-Nice bike route

Post by tim_f »

have a look at http://www.opencyclemap.org/ various web sites also have this mapping and let you toggle between it and aerial photos. Google street view is also useful in deciding if you would like to cycle along a rode.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have never found that route a major problem. St Raphael to Cannes along the coast road gets busy (also lumpy) but many do cycle it. Cannes to Nice is a doddle if keeping to the coast as part is on cycle path.

However IMO a much nicer route would be from the Verdun go to Castellane and take the Route Napoleon to Grasse (all climbing done in one day and no more difficult than your proposed route). From Grasse (centre of French perfume industry) head to Antibes and follow the coast into Nice.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
dbejon

Post by dbejon »

Thank you for this info. How busy is the Castellane- Grasse road?
dbejon

Post by dbejon »

Thank you for your reply. We are from Canada and have not used this site before.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

dbejon wrote:Thank you for this info. How busy is the Castellane- Grasse road?

There is traffic on this road but I wouldn't class it as very busy and it is mainly cars. Wide road with good surface. I have done it twice, once each way and one of those with my wife.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".