replacement expander bolts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nicmarsh

replacement expander bolts

Post by nicmarsh »

does anyone know if it is possible to buy replacement expander bolts for Cinelli quill stems? I have searched but cannot find with the recessed allen key bolt. I only really need the bolt and only because chrome is looking 'not great'.
Brucey

Re: replacement expander bolts

Post by Brucey »

at one time these were readily available and you could even get (from O.M.A.S. I think) ultralightweight ones made of high strength aluminium alloy.

Cinelli have started to make some retro stuff again so maybe the spares are still available. Other than that it might be a case of snaffling another stem with a good bolt from e-bay.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

Post a wanted ad on a few forums. Stems occasionally get broken or wrecked. Someone may have a bolt lying around.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Cinelli quill stems have alu bolts, but mine are 1R .............. perhaps 1A has steel.

Do Cinelli not do spares?
http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php/pr ... id=2&sub=9
Might be worth asking.
Mick F. Cornwall
tyred

Post by tyred »

You can buy generic ones of Ebay easily enough. I bought one recently for a 1950s Raleigh I was working on.

It may not be what you would like for a nice Cinelli stem but it'll keep you on the road until you can find the correct part. Search the sport/cycling section on Ebay for expander bolt.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Caution here, if it's not Cinelli Original the head might be too big to fit in the recess. Some cheaper stems have a nominally larger head diameter although the Hex is the same size.
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

Mick F wrote:My Cinelli quill stems have alu bolts, but mine are 1R .............. perhaps 1A has steel.

Do Cinelli not do spares?
http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php/pr ... id=2&sub=9
Might be worth asking.

thanks for that; i didn't realise they had started selling these again; will make inquiries