Pannier bags on folding bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
vangelis

Post by vangelis »

I want to buy a folding bike. The question is: do panier bags fit on the back rack? If they don't what are the options?
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Carradice Bagman
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

I have a Birdy and I toured with it this summer. I couldn't put the panniers on the back (non-folding) rack as my heels clipped them. I have front pannier racks too, but the weight made the front suspension creak a lot. In the end, I put my panniers on a friend's bike and stuck with his rack bag on top of my rear rack.

So for me, the answer is no. Though maybe I should experiment with different elastomers on the suspension, as they are old now.
Si

Post by Si »

I've a folding rack on my Birdy. Problem with this is that the side bars are too thick to get normal pannier clips onto :roll:

But you can fit one of those large Moulton type rack packs to the back rack.

BTW ThomasDylan, if you don't use your birdy front rack are you interested in selling it?
Si

Post by Si »

Oh, forgot to say: Airnimal Chameleon, can fit a standard rear rack or front low-rider (if you have the touring fork) to it and the panners go on fine.
JJF

Post by JJF »

My Bike Friday New World Tourist has a conventional rack and it takes normal panniers. The rack stays are normal length so the rack "surface" is 3 or 4 inches further away from the rear wheel than on a normal bike. When folded, the bike stands on the rack...on a level floor.

The panniers are nearer the ground than on "big" bikes so they can get more sprayed with water. To avoid this, when I am on shortish tours I use a 23litre Carradice Carradura saddlebag with their SQR fitting.
JJF
vangelis

Post by vangelis »

Thanks for the replies. Bike Friday sounds interesting. Do you know the best place to buy?
JJF

Pannier bags on folding bikes.

Post by JJF »

As far as I am aware there is only one GB agent for Bike Friday, Avon Valley Cyclery near Bath. www.foldingbikes.co.uk. In my view, Bike Friday NWT is a good touring bike.
A to B magazine www.atob.org.uk gives comparisons of folding bikes. My impression is that their descriptions of the various bikes are not kept up to date. For example it would be interesting to see assessments of recent Dahons. Perhaps there is another source of road test reports for folding bikes.
JJF
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Avon Valley is on the net as http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk and well worth a visit if you can to see the range.

Apart from that it will depend what you want the bike for.

For commuting bikes like the Brompton have a reasonable dedicated luggage system, whilst most can take a bar bag and a Carradice saddlebag or SQR.

For heavier use most will also take a trailer.

have a look at what you want to carry and plan accordingly.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket and it takes standard panniers as it uses a standard rear rack. There are also eyes on the front forks for low riders.

With all folders there is a compromise between foldability and rideability.
The BF is not a commuters bike and ends up as quite a large unwieldy package that really needs to be bagged. However, its ride quality is excellent and its luggage carrying no different to any ordinary touring machine.

For short trips which require quick folding, the Brompton really does rule supreme. IMO nothing has matched its foldability, and as a runaround it is also a fine machine, so long as there are not too many steep hills!
Luggage carrying is good, using its own front pannier system. Panniers on the rear, don't really work without affecting the fold.
With a Weber hitch it can easily pull a trailer, and I use this around my locality for deliveries/collections.

I suppose what it really comes down to is that you will always need at least two folders :lol:

I second AVC in Bath as the best place to visit.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Brompton will not take standard panniers but has a huge front bag - 28l - which is very stable. The rear rack is low and will take a normal holdall vertically attached to the saddle. I frequently carry a full camping load this way - up to 23kg
johno

Post by johno »

I agree with what MLJ says about the Brompton Touring pannier. We used them with our Bromptons for our holidays in August when we rode down the Danube Cycleway from Regensburg to Linz. They were quite full and heavy but they didn't cause us any problems on the journey and we seemed to travel as quickly as fellow cyclists on standard bikes.

Not sure whether you have a Brompton or not, but if so I would thoroughly recommend the touring pannier.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Brompton also does (or does not) do a rear touring bag by Radical Design....

It was available for a short time, but than Brompton stopped distribution and also stopped Radical design from selling them directly - pending a formal launch

As far as I am aware they are still not readily available, which is a real shame.

Well thought out, securely fixed (loop round the elastomer and strap at the back of the rack) and plenty of space.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Brompton advertise the rear rack bag in their latest catalogue: only 16 litres against up to 28 for the front pannier, and costs £50. You can also get Carradice and other rack packs to fit, provided they do not have wide side pockets, all about the same size or smaller.
essexman

Post by essexman »

I have a birdy and use panniers on the standard folding rack. Points to note:
-The 2007 rack is slightly bigger than the older rack
-I have size 10 feet
-I use clipless pedals, but they are dual sided and i dont notice a problem when i'm cycling in normal shoes

I bought my birdy from avc and they spent about 10 mins adjutsing the panniers and rear rack so that i could fit it.
I hate snow.