Waterproof overtrousers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
paieye

Waterproof overtrousers

Post by paieye »

I am short and stocky, so overtrousers that are wide enough are usually far too long, have no leg-length adjustment and have a thin bit of elastic in the waist that allows the overtrousers to descend all too rapidly when that is not intended.

Moreover, they usually have a single Velcro strap near the ankle, which, once done up, produces a "harem-trouser" effect above, and gathers the leg so tightly below, that the rain can flow from outside the trouser to inside the shoe.

Are there any waterproof overtrousers that do not have those faults ?
georgew

Re: Waterproof overtrousers

Post by georgew »

These below have been found by many to be the answer as they weigh nothing, prevent overheating and have a certain sartorial elegance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainlegs-Black- ... s=rainlegs
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I'm tall and thin so I have the opposite problem, by the time I have pulled them up far enough to stop the crotch snagging on the saddle, the bottoms are round my calves. I solved the useless waist elastic problem by fitting a draw cord, though.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

+1 for Rainlegs. You could team them up with spats if is really wet.
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you for that, but I sense that I really do need over-trousers. In any case, if I were to wear something such as what is suggested, I should prefer the considerably more effective horsy version that I own, a relic of my past with horses.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

+1 rainlegs... have never found the 'perfect' overtrousers, all behave as you describe: too hot, too baggy at the ankle, then the water runs into your feet anyway, it's just easier to not bother.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

try taking them to a tailor shop and ask if anything can be done. you may need to waterproof any seems with seam-sealer, but it would be worth it.
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Hi
just wearing shorts or using rain legs are a warm weather or high effort solution in my opinion, and assumes that whatever you are wearing can get wet which is not always desirable.

Unless there are loops for a belt I think you need a new pair that are more secure round the waste with stronger elastic, belt loops or some other method of securing them around your waist.

Don't get cycling specific trousers they will only make the leg length thing worse, walking trousers will offer more choice and a better (bad) fit.
Get those that zip up the full length of your leg and any that zip from either end even better.

Don't worry about shortening them too much I roll up the leg to shorten them and use a bicycle clip to stop them getting into the chain.

Make sure that the they are left long enough so that the rain will run off your shoes and not into them. The previous comment regarding water in the shoe only really applies to those with long legs and shorter overtrousers unless the sweat is really running off you.

Get them as light as possible unless they are for winter use I use a light Mountain pair unless its cold then I use a warmer cheaper Regatta or Craghoppers pair.
paieye

Post by paieye »

I have ordered a pair of Jack Pyke waterproof chaps for £20, in the hope that they will do at least for anything short of the worst weather. I am considering a pair of thin waterproof salopettes, but shall postpone ordering them until I have given the chaps a trial. Thank you all for your help.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I've been impressed by the design details of the Endura waterproofs. http://www.endurasport.com/product-listing.asp?all=1