slowest porsche in the world (it's a bike in disguise)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

slowest porsche in the world (it's a bike in disguise)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

http://ferdinand.han-lan.com/

This is on show in the Museum der Arbeit in Hamburg in a cycle exhibition, until 2015.

I was disgusted when I saw it at the start of the exhibition, (what is a car doing here?), but when I realised what it was I was very pleased.

It is a great idea, the video shows it moving legally on the road at under 10 kmh. The text explains that the vehicle is a mimic (like animals that mimic others to avoid being eaten), "the wettest dream of young men of yesterday". It has even been on "top gear"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Re: slowest porsche in the world (it's a bike in disguise)

Post by Bmblbzzz »

[youtube]pSwig1tgUtY[/youtube]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The I've stopped you, and now I have no idea what I'm doing act from the police there
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Stopped for driving too slowly, like I was once by West Merci Police
Quite proud of that :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Was there an engine? Somehow I doubt it.
It can't be a mechanically propelled vehicle if there's no mechanical propulsion.

I suppose it could have been classed as a quadricycle. How many wheels have to have brakes on a four-wheeled bike?
Considering there were four people pedalling, could they have one brake each, or does the "driver" have to operate them all?

Same question regarding a tandem.
Two brakes to be legal.
Can the pilot have one brake and the stoker have the other?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do they all steer, are they all driving?

Is the Captain in sole charge of a ship, although she could not "drive" it without help?

I think the captain at the front is in charge on a tandem, but are there types where the stoker steers too? Who decides when to change gear? :? Referendum?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The "captain" is actually the commanding officer and in sole charge of the conduct of his vessel.
He delegates his authority to others to operate the ship and navigate it. He cannot delegate his responsibility so the buck stops at him.

Same as anyone in command.
You can delegate your authority, but not your responsibility.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:The "captain" is actually the commanding officer and in sole charge of the conduct of his vessel.
He delegates his authority to others to operate the ship and navigate it. He cannot delegate his responsibility so the buck stops at him.

Like a politrickian who might have to resign if a minor person somewhere in her organisation was caught doing something wrong?

What about on a long voyage when the captain goes to sleep?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's permanently on call. 24/7/365
He has an intercom next to his bed connected to his officer of the watch on the bridge, or if there's something going on operationally, the Operations Room too to his on-watch Warfare Officer.

He leaves "night orders" in his Night Order Book which are seen by his staff and signed for that they've seen them. The orders will state that he is to be called in the event of this or that, or why etc.

This is obviously the RN, but the merchant system would be the same. The commanding officer is always in command.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mick F wrote:Was there an engine? Somehow I doubt it.
It can't be a mechanically propelled vehicle if there's no mechanical propulsion.

I suppose it could have been classed as a quadricycle. How many wheels have to have brakes on a four-wheeled bike?
Considering there were four people pedalling, could they have one brake each, or does the "driver" have to operate them all?

Two brakes to be legal.

I think quadricycle is technically a term used for a four-wheeled car weighing less than a certain amount. 500kg probably. It's actually on your driving licence: category B1. Well, probably not on yours nor on mine, but potentially...

Brakes is an interesting question. A delta trike must have two brakes but can them both on the front wheel, and I think a tadpole can have them both on the front wheels with nothing on the back. But a quadricycle, I mean a tetricycle, no a qudribike, a tetrapack -- a four-wheeled pedal cycle -- I don't know but I'd imagine that it's only legally required to have two brakes and can probably have them both on the front wheels. Such things must exist, although specific regulations for them might not. But clearly a car, even it's just a body shell, weighs quite a bit more than anything that's actually designed to be pedalled - I wouldn't like to go downhill in one with bike brakes!
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

I want one
My poor poor bottom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Xilter wrote:I want one

You can shedgineer one quite easily, balsawood frame and metal baking foil, perhaps you could do an audi
(see thread: why, is it always an audi?)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Mick F wrote:Was there an engine? Somehow I doubt it.

Two brakes to be legal.

I think quadricycle is technically a term used for a four-wheeled car weighing less than a certain amount. 500kg probably. It's actually on your driving licence: category B1. Well, probably not on yours nor on mine, but potentially...

Brakes is an interesting question. A delta trike must have two brakes but can them both on the front wheel, and I think a tadpole can have them both on the front wheels with nothing on the back. But a quadricycle, I mean a tetricycle, no a qudribike, a tetrapack -- a four-wheeled pedal cycle -- I don't know but I'd imagine that it's only legally required to have two brakes and can probably have them both on the front wheels. Such things must exist, although specific regulations for them might not. But clearly a car, even it's just a body shell, weighs quite a bit more than anything that's actually designed to be pedalled - I wouldn't like to go downhill in one with bike brakes!

They do exist - at many UK seaside resorts and i've 'ridden' several. IIRC all the controls were the responsibility of the 'captain' - ie the person in control of steering also got the brakes whick i'm sure we're on the front only.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Mick F wrote:The "captain" is actually the commanding officer and in sole charge of the conduct of his vessel.

The captain is even responsible when he's not there. HMS Nottingham ran aground when the captain was ashore. He was court martialled and found guilty of negligence.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Do they all steer, are they all driving?

Is the Captain in sole charge of a ship, although she could not "drive" it without help?

I think the captain at the front is in charge on a tandem, but are there types where the stoker steers too? Who decides when to change gear? :? Referendum?

Terminology on a tandem is open to debate. The person on the front considers himself to be the captain, ably assisted by the stoker on the back. The person on the back meanwhile considers herself to be the rear admiral who has delegated basic tasks to the pilot on the front but retains command of the overall journey.