slowest porsche in the world (it's a bike in disguise)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: slowest porsche in the world (it's a bike in disguise)

Post by Mick F »

cotswolds wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Do they all steer, are they all driving?

Is the Captain in sole charge of a ship, although she could not "drive" it without help?

I think the captain at the front is in charge on a tandem, but are there types where the stoker steers too? Who decides when to change gear? :? Referendum?

Terminology on a tandem is open to debate. The person on the front considers himself to be the captain, ably assisted by the stoker on the back. The person on the back meanwhile considers herself to be the rear admiral who has delegated basic tasks to the pilot on the front but retains command of the overall journey.
:lol: :lol:
Nicely put!
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
cotswolds wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Do they all steer, are they all driving?

Is the Captain in sole charge of a ship, although she could not "drive" it without help?

I think the captain at the front is in charge on a tandem, but are there types where the stoker steers too? Who decides when to change gear? :? Referendum?

Terminology on a tandem is open to debate. The person on the front considers himself to be the captain, ably assisted by the stoker on the back. The person on the back meanwhile considers herself to be the rear admiral who has delegated basic tasks to the pilot on the front but retains command of the overall journey.
:lol: :lol:
Nicely put!

Indeed. Mine used to determine the amount of ballast there was aboard, too, given a somewhat intermittent application of motive power.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is a Rear Admiral, is it a sort of non-executive director, or a consultant, or something like a member of the Peerage?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A species of butterfly, I think.
hercule

Post by hercule »

The Renault Twizy is an example of an available motorised quadricycle; someone near me has one, we have passed each other a few times when I’ve been out riding my recumbent trike - I think we both had “what is that?” moment first time round...

I have wondered about adding a Kendrick type conversion to my Ken Rogers upright trike to see if it would make it a mite easier to ride....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is a Rear Admiral, is it a sort of non-executive director, or a consultant, or something like a member of the Peerage?
Sorry, missed this question.

Rear Admiral is the rank between Captain and Vice Admiral.
There is Commodore between Captain and Rear Admiral, but that rank is one that officers may bypass, going from Captain to Rear Admiral directly.

Commanding Officers of HM Ships can be up to Captain and as low as Lieutenant depending on size of ship. The Prince of Wales was Commanding Officer of HMS Bronnington in the 1970s as a Lieutenant Commander. I met him on Bronnington out in the River Forth when I went out by boat to fix the ship's radar.

Admirals, be they RA, VA, or full Admiral tend to be in desk jobs and/or in charge of fleets of ships.
Admiral of the Fleet is the top rank and there aren't many of them, and is usually a job in charge of the whole RN or even the whole of HM forces.

Last bumped by Cyril Haearn on 11 Sep 2018, 4:19pm.
Mick F. Cornwall