Biopace chainrings

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ank@eel

Re: Biopace chainrings

Postby Ank@eel » 13 May 2014, 2:05pm

They put'em on TdF bikes these days, I guess that must mean something. I have them on an old steel Rockhopper in touring guise, can't say they turn me into a Wiggo.

123malford

Postby 123malford » 13 May 2014, 2:55pm

Yes , this is what I was wondering -- whether there was resistance then loss of resistance, a sort of on/ off/ on feeling pedalling. I clearly will have to try some myself.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 13 May 2014, 3:08pm

Martin Sargeant wrote:They put'em on TdF bikes these days, I guess that must mean something. I have them on an old steel Rockhopper in touring guise, can't say they turn me into a Wiggo.

They couldn't find any advantage with them so if you look at Wiggos bikes now they have round rings fitted - methinks it was a bit like our 'rounder' wheels at the Olympics! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 May 2014, 3:09pm

foxyrider wrote:
Martin Sargeant wrote:They put'em on TdF bikes these days, I guess that must mean something. I have them on an old steel Rockhopper in touring guise, can't say they turn me into a Wiggo.

They couldn't find any advantage with them so if you look at Wiggos bikes now they have round rings fitted - methinks it was a bit like our 'rounder' wheels at the Olympics! :lol:

Does he not still use them for TTs? IIRC that was the only stage he used them on last year?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

nicmarsh

Postby nicmarsh » 13 May 2014, 5:34pm

123malford wrote:Yes , this is what I was wondering -- whether there was resistance then loss of resistance, a sort of on/ off/ on feeling pedalling.

no I dont feel this

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 13 May 2014, 5:35pm

as i understand it they are now using standard Dura Ace chainsets now with round rings for everything.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

cooper_coleraine

Postby cooper_coleraine » 13 May 2014, 6:03pm

I have used the 48 x 38 x28 for 25 years. I like the feel of them and feel that I get a smoother cadence than with round rings. I used the 52 x 42 biopace too and liked them. I have round rings too. I emphasise that I like the feel of biopace and regret that it is difficult to find replacements

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 May 2014, 6:12pm

the oval rings they have used in racing in the last few years (on and off) work on a different principle to Biopace; the ellipse is about 90 degrees different in orientation, so no surprise that they don't turn you into Wiggo.

Wiggo's rings have you whip through TDC quickly but Biopace has you whipping through the 'power' part of the stroke.

If you turn you Biopace rings through 72 degrees (as close as you can get on a 5-arm spider) then you can start seeing if you turn into Wiggo or not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RickH

Postby RickH » 13 May 2014, 8:05pm

Wiggo was definitely using round chainrings for the Tour of California TT yesterday, that he won by a convincing margin to boot.

Photographic evidence here.

Rick.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 14 May 2014, 12:31pm

Wiggo can probably demonstrate on an ergometer he is ‘fast enough’ with round rings, so the team manager ( or accountant ) has cancelled the budget involved in testing and machining elliptical rings.

They've also cut the photographer's budget and he has to buy half his film monochrome. Cheapskates.

Seems Wiggo was so confident, he added a bit more drag onto the machine with a bush of facial hair. After all that money spent in the wind tunnel, he has the audacity to throw five seconds away with a full beard creating turbulance. Prat.