Claud Butler Regent?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Trigger

Claud Butler Regent?

Postby Trigger » 15 May 2014, 7:50pm

Anyone know anything about this model? From what I gather it spans a few years, the one I'm interested in must be early as it has non aero brake levers, 5sp block etc..

I can't really find much, my google fu is weak with this, I'm hoping some of the old gang can help me out :mrgreen:

Brucey

Re: Claud Butler Regent?

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2014, 9:53pm

what do you want to know exactly? They crop up on e-bay regularly e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claud-Butler-Regent-Road-Bike-/221216362889?nma=true&si=XpS%252BUjGIfRhmxqapxC0asVKWl%252Bg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

much better value than a Dawes Galaxy, but then they are a slightly different kind of bike really.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 15 May 2014, 9:58pm

I was just wondering where they fitted in, what sort of quality they were and if decent enough to take a punt on. The one I had in mine is older than that one, were they around for a long time?

Worth £65 in good condition? This one just needs a service/tart up, no rust or damage and hardly been used by the looks of it.

I take it it's not a full on touring bike as I can't see many braze ons, in fact I think the rack that is on it is bolted on to the rear of the brake bridge.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2014, 10:18pm

if you think 'Raleigh clubman' but made by holdsworthy then that would be about right.

They are OK; IIRC it isn't a full 531 frame but it isn't too heavy or anything. The components were nothing to shout about and you would want to change many of them anyway I'd expect. The rear end would be 120mm or 126mm at that kind of age so you would want to look at that if you planned to fit modern parts to it.

Horizontal DOs and a narrow back end would make for a handy frame to take an IGH....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 15 May 2014, 10:25pm

Thanks.

I think I'll take a punt on it, for that money I don't think there's any risk. I can decide what to do with it once I have it in front of me and can have a good look at everything.

I suppose I could go IGH, but I actually had in mind more of a lighter weight day-ride bike than the great boat anchor that I currently use, if it turns out to be a comfortable bike then I may just modernise it slightly (maybe cobble together some form of apline double) and use it as my main bike.

I'm not fit enough to put a 3sp SA into something I plan on riding all day, at least not around these parts anyway.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 23 May 2014, 4:40pm

Fetched it today and it's quite a nice looking bike, needs some new bits and a bit of TLC but it should be fine.

Has 531 decals on the forks as well as the frame, it's also not as old as I thought because it's 6sp not 5 like the seller said (he's not very bike savvy) and it's 126mm spacing which actually works out great as I have a decent pair of wheels with a 7sp 126mm rear.

Before I spend some money on it I think I'll throw some brake blocks on it, give it a good once over and take it for a ride but initial thoughts are promising.

My only concern is a couple of bits of rust under the enamel, I've scratched the paint off to assess how bad it is but it started raining so I threw it in the shed so will need another good look.

niggle

Postby niggle » 29 Jul 2019, 6:15pm

Just picked up a slightly later one of these with 7 speed RSX groupset, Parallax hubs, Rigida rims, Columbus DB tubing of some type (decal partially worn off). Paid £50 and condition is better than it first looked to be, just needs cables, brake blocks and a pair of tyres from my stockpile of 32 & 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers to replace the gruesome and crumbling 28mm World Tours. Gears shifting and indexed just fine. some minor surface corrosion. I bought as a basis for a commuter to slot in a SRAM P5 and a front hub ebike kit, but it rides better than expected even on the Michelins and weight is not too bad, plus the frame angles are nice and slack, hmmm, what to do??? Photos to follow.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 29 Jul 2019, 10:07pm

I tried a new one in a shop in the 1990’s but ended up going for a Dalesman instead. It’s my understanding that it was a slightly downmarket version of the Dalesman, in the same way that the Raleigh Royal was a slightly downmarket version of the Randonneur.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:14pm

TrevA wrote:I tried a new one in a shop in the 1990’s but ended up going for a Dalesman instead. It’s my understanding that it was a slightly downmarket version of the Dalesman, in the same way that the Raleigh Royal was a slightly downmarket version of the Randonneur.

But with a different frame - I think the 531 Royal and Randonneur used the same frame. A better comparison is perhaps with Dawes. Dalesman = Galaxy, Regent = Horizon.

niggle

Postby niggle » 30 Jul 2019, 9:17am

Saddle is worn out and a squishy abomination, I have a black Spa Cycles Wharfe that should look and feel much better:

ImageImageImageImageImage

niggle

Postby niggle » 30 Jul 2019, 9:41am

pete75 wrote:
TrevA wrote:I tried a new one in a shop in the 1990’s but ended up going for a Dalesman instead. It’s my understanding that it was a slightly downmarket version of the Dalesman, in the same way that the Raleigh Royal was a slightly downmarket version of the Randonneur.

But with a different frame - I think the 531 Royal and Randonneur used the same frame. A better comparison is perhaps with Dawes. Dalesman = Galaxy, Regent = Horizon.

Agreed, though it is a better frame in terms of ride and handling unloaded than my 2008 Dalesman with 631 main tubes and 520 fork, however that comes into it's own when loaded, as it has much less trail. The Regent has a slacker head angle, perhaps a bit too slack as wheel flop is noticeable in slow speed cornering; the Dalesman feels twitchy like a road bike when riding slowly unloaded, but once up to speed and loaded front and rear it becomes very stable and handles fast twisty descents particularly well. I think by the time my Dalesman was made a decade later the Regent had a 7005 alloy frame, again similar to the contemporary Horizon. Now the Dalesman and Regent have disappeared from the CB lineup entirely, looks like Dawes is the parent company and is only offering steel frame touring bikes under that name. So it seems the Claud Butler name, once associated with quality handbuilt road bikes, then quite popular mid price touring bikes, has been dragged down market over the decades to the point where it is a budget brand in the mass market Dawes range :(