Comparasion - Road Bike about £800

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )

Best value for money?

Poll ended at 23 Jun 2014, 3:13pm

Trek 1.5 C H2 2014
100%
Specialized Allez Sport C2 2014
No votes
Specialized Allez C2 2014
No votes
Specialized Allez Elite C2 2014
No votes

Total votes: 4

Roberlui

Comparasion - Road Bike about £800

Post by Roberlui »

Hi,

I just arrived to this community by searching information about few road bikes. I know that for the price most of them will be very similar with pros and cons, but I’ll try to find some opinions about these bikes I’m considering for my next purchase.

I'm going to add the links for pure information, but just to be clear all the main bicycle shops in the UK offer "match price" and similar services. So no, Im not saying you should use this shop :embarrassed:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/15-triple-h2-2014-road-bike-ec054295
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-c2-2014-road-bike-ec052507
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-c2-2014-road-bike-ec052336
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-elite-c2-2014-road-bike-ec053024

*If its worth we might even consider the expensive option: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/madone-21-h2-compact-2014-road-bike-ec041058

Thanks in advance!
Brucey

Re: Comparasion - Road Bike about £800

Post by Brucey »

well you have not said what weight it is to carry, or what you want to use the bike for exactly, so how can one say which is 'best'? In any event the speshes are three slightly different versions of the same thing (pick your colour, price, gruppo) and all four bikes are alu-framed, with carbon fork.

Personally I'd go for the Trek because it is still a lightweight machine, but has a more sensible range of gears, rack mounts and a decent clearance for mudguards etc. However the rack mounts do not play well with that wheelset; if doing anything other than unladen daytime rides I'd look to swap out the wheels for something else; 24 spoke wheels are not going to last the distance if you start to haul a load around.

Also although there appears to be a decent clearance under the brakes (hurrah!), it appears that the numpty that designed the frame forgot to make the chainstays any longer, so actually I think the mudguard clearance is limited by the clearance at the back of the seat tube, not under the brakes....

With each of these bikes remember that you are buying a 'product' with a limited lifetime. Although both Trek and Specialized offer 'lifetime' warranties on frames (and sometimes forks) but reports of successful claims are, uh, 'variable'. Do some research on this; there are many exclusions, and it looks like someone at Trek has decided to change the way they deal with warranties in the last few years, because pre-2007 there are few moans but after this time there are plenty. One guy had his claim for a broken six-month old carbon frame invalidated because (according to the manufacturer) the bike had clearly seen 'abnormal use'. The 'evidence' for this was that there were some (apparently small) scratches near the part of the frame that broke. Any one internet story of woe can be suspect but when there are very many that all end in the same outcome e.g. that the best offer is that you get a 'discount' on a new frame, then you can only draw one conclusion; some berk with 'MBA' after their name has decided to completely undermine the brand values by trying to turn the warranty department into a 'profit centre' instead of a 'cost centre'.

So with any of this kind of bike if you use it much I'd suggest that the best policy is perhaps to flog it (for about 1/2 to 1/3rd what you paid for it) after a couple of years, or to flog it after five years for virtually nothing. If you stick to riding on sunny days it ought to last a lot longer than that, but winter road salt is incredibly destructive.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

The “best value for money” depends on what you mean by “best” (obvious, but worth thinking about).

If you’re looking for a bike for racing around Richmond Park on a sunny day, any of these will be great fun, and they get better very roughly in line with price. The differences come down to a bunch of things you can’t possible have an opinion on until you’ve ridden for a while and discovered your preferences.

If you’re looking for a more flexible bike for carrying anything more than a spare inner tube, none of these bikes are very good.

While the Trek 1.5 has reasonable clearance under the brakes, the pads are mounted midway in the slots. Mudguards would work with the equipped tyres, but I doubt they would work with 28 mm tyres – even if the short chainstays would accept them, which looks very doubtful.

I once had a Trek 1000 and it served me very well, so I have a lingering fondness for the brand. But today I’d buy one of the new wave of steel bikes from any number of smaller brands. Just my preference.

Note the Trek 1.5 is called a “Triple” but the Evans photos show a bike with a double chainset.
Roberlui

Post by Roberlui »

Thanks for your replies,

Yes, I forgot to mention about the use of the bike, sorry about that.

mainly this bike is for commuting to work (15 daily miles) and summer rised. this summer I'll travel to Spain to ride the bike through the mountains for a week.

As you can see its more a casual use, so that's why I don't want to spend too much money on a bike. Just so you know, my previous bike was a "claud butler chinook". Strong bike but heavy as hell too.

Thanks for your opinions. very useful indeed
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Of course if it is quality and value you are after, avoiding the 'big' brands is often beneficial. eg. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-7-road-bi ... 03211.html or http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-3-road-bi ... 21749.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hexhome wrote:Of course if it is quality and value you are after, avoiding the 'big' brands is often beneficial. eg. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-7-road-bi ... 03211.html or http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-3-road-bi ... 21749.html

available in sizes 51,61, and 51, 53 respectively. I also note that on the same page it says 'lifetime warranty on frame and forks' and then elsewhere '5 year warranty on frame and forks' . Which is it I wonder?

cheers
Roberlui

Post by Roberlui »

Actually that B'TWIN FC 3 looks very nice. Shame I need between 59 and 61'' :(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Roberlui wrote: ....mainly this bike is for commuting to work (15 daily miles) and summer rised. this summer I'll travel to Spain to ride the bike through the mountains for a week....

Personally I would suggest a different bike for commuting than for a summer trip in the mountains (Pyrenees?). Very many of the road bikes you will find will not have low enough gears for comfortable Pyrenean climbing; e.g. the Decathalon one has 34/27 whereas one with a triple should /could have 30/30 or 30/32 as a bottom gear. If going with a double chainset look at the SRAM gearing which is often a bit lower.

For 15 mile commuting in the UK wintertime you should look to have mudguards and 25-28mm tyres. Pretty much all 'road bikes' don't have room for this. Carbon frames/forks have bonded joints in them which can fail if they are penetrated by road salt, and aluminium frames tend to corrode under the paint in winter conditions too. Steel frames go rusty as well of course, but this is at least obvious to the eye (unless it is painted a rust colour to start with... :roll: ). The only way I know to stop this corrosion from happening is wash the bike every single day, or just not use it at all for three or four months a year.

cheers
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

In all honesty i'd look at some other bikes than the ones listed.

The one that springs to mind is the Giant Defy which frequently wins 'entry level' awards and is considered very good value for money.

Others i'd consider would be the Cannondale Synapse Sora and the Mekk Pinerolo.

The Mekk bike is worth a particular look because they have very well made frames for the price meaning you can upgrade them and comes with carbon forks.
Roberlui

Post by Roberlui »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

none of the bikes you are looking at are really suitable for commuting on.

cheers
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Well said Brucey. I was going to comment 'non of the above.'
NUKe

Post by TrevA »

The Trek has mudgaurds eyes and fittings for a rack. If it's available with a triple, then i think it would be OK. My wife's winter bike is very similar, fitted with raceblade long mudguards, though she doesn't commute on it because she has a Dawes Horizon, which is a better load-lugger.

I'm 6ft 2in and ride a 58cm Trek Domane (summer bike). Smaller frames are less prone to flexing, but you really need to sit on one and take it for a test ride if you can.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
T

Post by T »

Brucey wrote:I also note that on the same page it says 'lifetime warranty on frame and forks' and then elsewhere '5 year warranty on frame and forks' . Which is it I wonder?

Could be both. Lifetime warranty often means the lifetime of the product. 5 years doesn't seem very long for the lifetime of a frame, but it's possible that's what they mean.
Roberlui

Post by Roberlui »

For my experience its a lifetime warranty... if you barely use your product. last time I claimed that warranty for a bike (the frame was getting deteriorated and at some point I broke the front bar) they told me its because of the salt in the road. Well, Im not going to ride my bike on silk right? :)

Other users from different communities think like you and told me to avoid big brands. Most of them are thinking about a B'TWIN??

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-5-road-bike-white-id_8221750.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

Yes, carbon, Shimano 105, etc. But do you really know if B'TWIN gives you warranties? I never had one of these.

Thanks,