My new Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newbootclimbco

My new Saddle

Post by newbootclimbco »

I fitted a new Nidd leather saddle from Spa cycles to my Ridgeback, that was 650 miles ago. The problem is that its still rock hard and despite wearing good padded gels and using creams etc, I am getting sore. Is there a way to hurry up the Break in period, I have been told to soak the saddle in water then ride the bike, thus shaping the seat to suit me. I know it seems drastic. Buying the saddles I have is denting my wallet. Please, any serious suggestions as to overcome my bum problem. Thanks T
grani

Re: My new Saddle

Post by grani »

It took probably 1000 miles for mine to truly break in, but despite not wearing any padding I never thought it was terribly uncomfortable. Getting the saddle to exactly the right position was the main difference to comfort for me.

In order to make some modifications (stencil) on my saddle I decided to soak it in water but found that it is waterproofed and doesn't really soak properly very easily. The saddle cover (leather) is made up of several bonded layers, 2 leather (I think) and 1 synthetic, and doesn't behave like a Brooks saddle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I bought a Team Pro in 2006 and I found it perfectly comfortable from Day One.

However, I've been losing weight recently ....... rather than just weight loss, I'm losing fat off my bum. My "saddle area" is hard and muscular now, far more than it used to be, and now after nearly 30,000miles of use, my Team Pro is hurting. Not much, but I am aware of it.

I would have said in the past, that Brooks are always comfortable, but now I'm more boney "down there", I'm not so sure any more.
Mick F. Cornwall
georgew

Post by georgew »

The leather used in this saddle is thicker than that used by Brooks and is indeed waterproofed. My solution was to remove/completely slacken the cord used which allows the leather to depress under ones weight.

I also modified a Nidd by creating an aperture similar to the Brooks Imperial and this was very successful in terms of comfort. Given the thickness of the leather used these saddles will not "break-in" similar to a Brooks. They use the "hammock" principle as do Berthoud.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

One of my bikes currently has an Ideale 80 Record on it, the hardest leather I ever had but because of the shape it was made, one of the most comfortable saddles ever. It was ok straight away and took about half hour to slightly adapt and be great. It was bought used but hardly any change of shape from new by the previous owner.
Last edited by WrightsW5 on 20 Jun 2014, 5:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Some people just have Brooks/Leather Saddle shaped backsides and others don't.

I tried a variety, I even persevered with a couple far longer than my brain was telling me to, in the end I gave up.

Don't feel you need to own one just to be considered a "proper" touring cyclist, just find something that works.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I read somewhere that if you turn the Spa saddles upside down and brush Neatsfoot oil or Proofide around the edges where the leather has been cut, it should seep in, although it takes a few days - you'll eventually see the oil meeting in the middle. That might soften it. Partly because of the plastic membrane underneath, apparently the saddles are too impervious for the oil to permeate properly any other way. Don't actually know if it would help, though, but maybe you've reached the point where you've nothing to lose.

Anybody tried the (relatively new) Esk saddle from Spa?
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 973&i=3942
I figure if I was going to try one, that's the one I'd go for - narrow at the front, to limit chafing, but still wide at the back for support. It would be for semi-upright flat-bar touring.

Still like sticking a pin in a map, I suppose, as to whether or not it would work out, but I spent many a happy childhood hour around the River Esk, south of Edinburgh - which is probably the dumbest reason for picking a saddle! :)
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Ive just received my Spa Nidd and im happy with the looks etc . Should have the Longstaff built up soon-ish so will report back when ive put a few miles on it .
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks guys for the replies, I will loosen the underside cord and see what happens.
Maybe I have to put up with the agony a while longer, but why should I ,it takes all the pleasure out of cycling.
I am just too damb keen for my own good. Thanks .T.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Slacken off the tension bolt while you're at it as that helped enormously on mine.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

I got caught in a downpour, for about 40 miles!
My new Spa wharfe got very wet and some of it seeped into the leather from the edges. The shape definitely changed around the seatbone areas though not as much as the b17 I've got on another bike, which went a very strange shape after getting wet.
The Wharfe is now more comfy and with only a few hundred miles on it I'm sure it'll get better.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:I bought a Team Pro in 2006 and I found it perfectly comfortable from Day One.

However, I've been losing weight recently ....... rather than just weight loss, I'm losing fat off my bum. My "saddle area" is hard and muscular now, far more than it used to be, and now after nearly 30,000miles of use, my Team Pro is hurting. Not much, but I am aware of it.

I would have said in the past, that Brooks are always comfortable, but now I'm more boney "down there", I'm not so sure any more.

Is this just weight-loss Mick, or is it the other changes that take place in us as the years go by? I've had Brooks saddles for as long as I can remember and notwithstanding quality problems with two of the most recent purchases, I've never (so far) had any problem with comfort - from new or after decades of use.

I've ridden Brooks Pros, B17s and Colts (I had one of the first Colts - 30 years ago?) - and a B15, but that was a long time ago........I still have it - and until quite recently (the last two or three years) I've found that the Pros suited me best. However, in that time I've found that the B17s have been faultlessly comfortable but the last remaining Pro has developed issues - just minor things, and not always present. The B17s are both between 5 and 10 years old, and the Pro is about 35 - but doesn't look it. I'd have to scratch back through my records to see how many miles they've done, but I'd guess the B17s at 20,000 to 40,000 miles each and the Pro...........who knows, but well over your 30,000 miles - I'd guess more than double that.

I think it's my shape that's changing rather than the saddle - I was about 35 when I first rode it, and I'm 70 now - there's bound to be something.............

I've found this topic a bit discouraging, because I shall be replacing the Pro before too long (I've been working up to it for about two or three years) and I had decided that I'd get a Spa saddle - I particularly like the 'Calder'.............but I'm not too sure now. I'd favoured the Spa, partly due to cost, partly due to my recent experiences with the unreliability of Brooks quality (two of the last three have been replaced) and partly because I can get the Spa saddle a little farther back - and partly because I really like Spa.

However, I'm beginning to dither...........
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Like georgew I cut a slot in a Spa Nidd, one like the Rivet Pearl rather than the Imperial. Together with removing the lace,this has allowed enough give in the saddle to become very comfortable very quickly. It hasn't formed sit-bone indentations particularly, but there is now a gentle springiness to it that means I forget about it altogether.

Of course this assumes you have a Brooks-shaped bum in the first place. I got another Nidd for a second bike and gave it the same treatment with the same success. 10 miles to break in....
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Hi guys ,My Nidd saddle, I did as suggested I slackened off the tension bolt and got rid of the shoe lace, result a lot better. I started to sit in the seat rather than perch on it.I shall ride a few more miles and hopefully things will improve even more. And I think my back felt more comfortable as well.Manufacturers please note. Thanks T.