Bike lock bargain???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Bike lock bargain???

Post by simonineaston »

On my way to Lakeland, the bike lock fell out of my boot and the key broke off inside the mechanism. So questions have I 2...
Anyone got any canny tips for removing half a key from the inside of my old Abus D lock mech?
And more urgently, what is folks opinion on the best value Good Lock deal at the mo'?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
BE1

Re: Bike lock bargain???

Post by BE1 »

Depending on the level of security you need Fudges' seem to have some good prices on Kryptonite locks at the moment

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?c=3817&brand
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Due to my past history on never keeping a bike longer than a year due to in most cases, theft, I rarely leave the bike anywhere but when I have done, this lock gives me a little piece of mind. It's Sold Secure rating means the insurance claim I hope I never have to make is valid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... UTF8&psc=1

Spose it depends on what you're willing to pay and how much you value your bike.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've heard good report about Oxford's chain locks - might give 'em a go, although I did buy a lamp from them a couple of years ago and it wasn't all that...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

There's one or two reports of the lock mechanism playing up or disintegrating and I myself have had to give the key a slight wiggle at times to get it all the way in, but a drop of oil keeps things running smoothly. I've never had to use brute force.
Never heard of the keys snapping though, unlike those made by Kryptonite.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

contact adhesive such as super glue can sometimes be used to extract the other half of the key, won't be strong enough to use as key but may help you draw the rest out.
NUKe

Post by simonineaston »

NUKe wrote:contact adhesive such as super glue can sometimes be used to extract the other half of the key, won't be strong enough to use as key but may help you draw the rest out.

I've tried that but it didn't work... will have another go though.
S
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

simonineaston wrote:I've heard good report about Oxford's chain locks - might give 'em a go, although I did buy a lamp from them a couple of years ago and it wasn't all that...

I've got this one from Oxford and have no complaints about it... Other than it being very heavy(It must weigh around 10KG)!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is a beast of a lock though and i've been using it for over a year now to lock my bike up in and around London with no obvious attempts at theft so far
mjr

Post by mjr »

Best value good-quality lock: ask your local police or crime prevention partnership. Some have discount deals with a particular manufacturer. For example, divisional Norfolk Police stations had a number of Sold Secure Gold D-locks for £25 or so last I heard.

Cheaper dodge: get a minor brand D-lock which doesn't look too distinctive and has none of the classic drawbacks (so it has a solid shackle and an I-key in the middle of a sheathed locking side, rather than a O-key on one end of a thin naked metal locking side), then remove/obliterate/cover the branding badge. Use it through the frame, along with a cable lock through the stand any quick-release parts.

If you'll be within earshot, a cafe lock with a siren might be worth considering.

Of course, I'd not trust any of them to protect a thousand-pound bike but I don't have one of those.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

If you want to buy a Sold Secure approved lock, they do a free catalogue of all approved locks, downloadable via the link at the bottom of this page: http://cyclingfortransport.com/bike/accessories/lock/
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

simonineaston wrote:Anyone got any canny tips for removing half a key from the inside of my old Abus D lock mech?

This happened to me and I never got the stub out...I must remember to not keep the key in the lock.
I suspect the broken shank will completely fill the keyway, so there would be no way to get any fishing tool in. I would suggest hitting with a hammer might be productive if you hit the rear face of the lock. The pressure pulse might move the key as it runs through it. You could also lightly hold the lock and hit it near the face of the lock; the inertia of the key might cause it to stay behind as the rest of the lock ricochets away from the hammer? I tried the gluing the two halves of the key malarky and it never worked.