Question for spectacle wearers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CliveyT

Re: Question for spectacle wearers

Postby CliveyT » 1 Jul 2014, 1:23pm

I think it partly depends on how bad your prescription is. Large lenses are out for me (the safety glasses I wear at work are about 1cm thick at the edges and I certainly couldn't wear them for any length of time) but then I am short sighted, I'm guessing you are long sighted so may not be so much of a problem.

I do wear contacts and wrap around glasses for day rides but I find, particularly at this time of year, my eyes start to dry out after maybe 4-5 hours.
The wrap arounds with prescription inserts (mine are Uvex, there are some pictured above and I think Bolle and optilabs do them) are a good compromise, but I do find I have to crane my head around more to see behind me even than I have to do with my usual glasses

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Jul 2014, 1:46pm

Ayesha wrote:I don't ride any longer than a 100m Audax.
I can't find a roll of cable longer than that.

A couple of 50m(etre) extensions plugged end-to-end (or a single 100m length of twin & earth with your own ends fitted) would do fine then! :D

Rick.

Ambler

Postby Ambler » 1 Jul 2014, 9:31pm

Good thread this.
Uksportseyewear looks a useful site.

Over the last 20 years my prescription has changed every 2 years or so.

sjs

Postby sjs » 1 Jul 2014, 11:04pm

Vorpal wrote:I wear contacts, and wrap-around cycling glasses. If I am likely to need them, I also carry some reading glasses.

I've recently gone to varifocal contacts, with cycling glasses, to avoid having to carry reading glasses. Quite effective, having spent some time and money tuning the prescription for the best compromise between near anf far vision.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 2 Jul 2014, 9:57am

My prescription is fairly stable - although I am gently getting longer sighted (either that or my arms are shrinking) but my existing prescription sunglasses (wraparound, bought for cycling) are no longer "gripping" my head.enough, so they fall off if I look down.

Very much liking the look of the "try before you buy" option, although they've not replied to my email about whether I can do that and then just have my optician put lenses in (24hrs so far)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

WOOLIFERKINS

Postby WOOLIFERKINS » 2 Jul 2014, 10:04am

I use the BBB Optiviews. Sensibly priced specs and I think it was £30 to have my prescription fitted to the insert
Neil

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 2 Jul 2014, 3:07pm

SimonCT wrote:The obvious answer is to wear glasses with bigger lenses, though unfortunately, fashion has reduced choice over the years.

Tell me about it. I have difficulty finding frames that fit, so if I go for slim letterbox lenses my line of sight passes clean under the bottom of the lens. I don't understand why people go for anything other than the biggest lens practical, and as I object to the cost, I wouldn't opt for anything that meant I needed different pairs for different jobs.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Jul 2014, 3:18pm

My reading glasses are only for the tea shop menus, so I use the pound shop ones. I probably wouldn't use that solution for working at a computer. :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 2 Jul 2014, 3:41pm

Slightly different slant on the OP question ......

I've recently been wearing my varifocal sunglasses whilst riding. Excellent lenses and good frames, and I can see distance, intermediate, and reading with ease. I love them.

Trouble is, I've recently suffered from neck-ache. I suffer from aches and pains normally - maybe something to do with the huge dose of statins I take - but recently the neck-ache has been getting worse - and I put it down to holding my head still so I can see properly when riding. If I drop my head, the tops of the rims get in the way, so I have to keep it un-naturally up.

I was it in the face by a big dry leaf in December whilst descending a 40mph hill. It nearly took me off! :shock: and I was almost blinded in one eye for quite a few hours. Perfectly fine now, but it worried me to death, and now I won't ride without some eye protection.

Here's my question:
I can get away without any correction lenses, but I do want some eyewear that goes high up. Can you get visors for helmets, or something of that sort? Something without a frame? Reactolite would be nice, but that's asking a bit too much.
Mick F. Cornwall

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 2 Jul 2014, 7:38pm

I started wearing glasses and had the same issue. However my eyes have got used to it. Maybe yours will too?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Antan1

Postby Antan1 » 2 Jul 2014, 10:05pm

Day to day I wear xdrive varifocals but prefer my sports glasses for cycling (EVANEY VISSO) these have prescription inserts (distance) behind flip up interchangable fronts, clear, yellow for bad light and dark UV ones for sunlight.
Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 2 Jul 2014, 10:53pm

I too suffered from wind up behind my glasses causing my eyes to water and spatter the inside of the lenses. Plus the fear of causing serious damage to my eyes if I came off and had my metal frame glasses imbedded in my eyes made the decision to fork out nearly £300 for some prescription Oakley cycle glasses.
I had tried some cycle glasses with prescription inserts but found them not too useful with a drop handlebar riding position.
If you are interested I put my thoughts in a thread 'Oakley Prescription Sports Glasses' on the Cycling Goods & Services strand.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Jul 2014, 8:27am

Thanks.
Read it, and I'm now seriously thinking about glasses specifically for cycling, but I'd like to see a pair in the flesh before I buy.

My wants are:
Photochromic
Varifocal
High-up lenses so I can't see over the top.
Good tight secure fit

.......... and I'm prepared to pay for it.
Mick F. Cornwall

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 3 Jul 2014, 9:33am

Mick, these are the frames I use from optilabs. I also have photochromic varifocal lenses.

Serengeti

I had these rapide for years but they've recently broke.

I had a visor initially, but it got very hot and sweaty in summer.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 3 Jul 2014, 9:50am

Mick F wrote: Can you get visors for helmets.....
Yes, these for example, but never tried such.
"42"