Allen Bolts V Cross Head screws

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Re: Allen Bolts V Cross Head screws

Post by PJ520 »

RonK wrote:To avoid blank looks from the counter staff, ask for cap screws.
Strictly speaking you should ask for Allen Head Cap Screws, what we think of as regular bolts are in fact Hex Head Cap Screws. You may be able to find Allen Head Set Screws to use as adjusting screws which would be a bit tidier, I don't know if they're available in really small sizes.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think American English is different from British English here;

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/bolts

tallies well with what I know and understand re. bolt and screw nomenclature in the UK.

It also explains some blank looks (in both directions) in past conversations involving 'grub screws' and 'set screws' I've had with U.S. based engineers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I see a marketing opportunity here.......

Get some of these made in marine stainless, sell a jewel-like key-fob tool to adjust them....
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The only nut house (that is what it is called) I know of is in Lerwick which is a long way off. Seriously tho' thanks for the suggestions of where to buy.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

irc wrote:I've just replaced the low adjusting screw in my front derailler with a longer one. The one I had was an Allen bolt rather than the fitted cross head bold. Which made me wonder why derailler adjusting screws and V brake adjusters are just about the only place where Allen bolts are not used as standard.

Allen bolts have the advantages for me that eliminating non allen bolts means one less tool to carry and for the mechanically challenged, like me, it is obvious when you are using the correct size tool so the don't get damaged. So why not Allen bolts everywhere?

I don't know the answer to your question :? I just accept the fact :)
Some 10 years ago I bought 5 of these:- http://www.swiss-army-tools.co.uk/led-t ... sic-sd.htm
,4 for Mrs R2 and 3 daughters and one for me(they were £9 each then IIRC).Despite initial looks of dismay,they all say they're one of the most handiest presents they've ever had bought them.
I have to agree,and with a couple of strokes of a file the flat screwdriver on the end of the nail file made a perfect tool for limit stop screws for roadside adjustment :)
PS, the rest of the tools aren't bad either coming in handy for all sorts of unexpected little jobs
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

FWIW the first KlickFix HB mount I bought had cross-head self-tapping screws and was a swine to mount: the driver started slipping long before the rings gripped the bars. A year later I bought an extra one and it came with Allen screws: dead easy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I prefer screwdrivers when it's something that requires twiddling as opposed to simply tightening up (and undoing). A screwdriver handle is easier for me to twiddle between my fingers than a hex key, and it's just as easy to position the tool in the screw. As an otherwise major fan of allen socket bolts, the adjusters in a derailleur mech are my only exception!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

well that's the choice of handle on the tool. I've got a set of screwdriver handled.allen keys & a t-bar set when a bit of oomph is needed.
Ank@eel

Post by Ank@eel »

Excellent suppliert http://www.tightenup.co.uk/ in Twickenham, Middlesex.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
RonK wrote:To avoid blank looks from the counter staff, ask for cap screws.

Hexagon Socket Cap Head Screws....to much information.
https://sg.misumi-ec.com/pdf/tech/mech/p2847.pdf

Beware that the stainless is not softer than the originalscrew.

Cross head is probably much cheaper to manufacture and more compact too.

Allen is a trade name............hence allen key
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I think American English is different from British English here;
Thanks Brucey. My experience was in building industrial planers in the US i.e. the things that made 2 X 4s by the thousand. A Allen Head Set screw was a screw with the Allen socket completely in the shank i.e. it had in fact no head and could be screwed down the hole if you see what I mean. I think these are called 'grub screws' in the UK.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I've swapped almost all the bolts on my bike for Torx-head ones. Better than Allen bolts - easier to get good purchase on them with almost no risk of rounding, and a lower risk of the tool slipping.

Not thought of going near the derailleur limit stops, though.